Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Flying Ryanair in November 2018

53 posts in this topic

I live in Graz, and want to fly from Vienna to Dublin. Out Thu 1 Nov, Back Mon 5 Nov.

Laudamotion which is part of Ryanair have convenient cheap flights. It appears that only 1% of flights are affected by the strikes, and Ryanair cannot go for weeks with this uncertainty? Bratislava-Dublin is also operated by Ryanair.

The next closest city with convenient, reasonably non Ryanair priced flights is Zurich an overnight train ride away.

So do I risk it, and hope they fly. Theoretically if the flight is cancelled I understand the airline is required to get me to my destination by whatever means necessary in a reasonable timeframe, although I'm aware Ryanair has tried to pull a fastone coeercing stranded pasengers into just accepting a full refund.

Then again if you're stuck in an airport, getting Ryanair to do anything for you required or otherwise without a pet lawyer by your side is probably a frustrating experience. In particular I notice all their call centre numbers are 0900. Being left on hold for 2 hours on a 0900 number would be a new exercise in frustration.

So do I just risk it and book?

I think in the back of your mind you know that if you book with Ryanair it will all go to rat shit.

I for one, would rather pay more money and have the peace of mind that I will get to my destination on time barring emergencies.

Here is the experience of a seasoned Ryanair passenger.  Good luck, good to see you back posting again.

https://michaelsmolski.com/is-ryanair-that-bad-2018-review/

11 minutes ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

So do I risk it, and hope they fly. Theoretically if the flight is cancelled I understand the airline is required to get me to my destination by whatever means necessary in a reasonable timeframe, although I'm aware Ryanair has tried to pull a fastone coeercing stranded pasengers into just accepting a full refund.

A strike or other labor action is officially considered force majeure, even if they've done all they can to provoke it, so they won't actually be under any legal obligation to help you, should it come to that. And of course, Ryanair has less than a stellar record of providing support even when they have a legal obligation to help you.

If you want to chance it, go for it, but if your flight gets canceled, I suspect you'll be on your own.

My advice: stay away from Ryanair and especially avoid days after strike. My wife had a flight cancelled after the strike, but they only told here 3 hours after departure!

Worst, no alternative flight was provided, just a free rebook, which was impossible because all flights were fully booked.

They gave me a refund and I sue them for the compensation (400€/person).

Options for Reroute - Passenger can be rerouted in the following order:

1. We will first try to accommodate you on the next available Ryanair flight on the same route. If this option is not available on the same day or next day then then we will try to accommodate you on the next available Ryanair flight from/to a suitable alternative airport within the same country.

If this isn’t available on the same or next day then;

2. We will accommodate you to your end destination on airlines with whom we have a reciprocal agreement. Our partner airlines include EasyJet, Jet2, Vueling, CityJet, Aer Lingus, Norwegian or Eurowings airlines.

If this option is not available on the same or the next day then;

3. We will accommodate you on any comparable transport alternative to your end destination – for example on a train, bus, airline, car hire. If you are required to exercise this option, you may be advised to rebook flights yourself and submit the receipts to us for reimbursement. 

Passengers must contact us prior to arranging alternative transport. 

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/flight-cancellations/What-happens-if-my-flight-is-delayed-or-cancelled

The above is from Ryanair's website. The seem to acknowledge they are obliged to get you to your destination, even on far more expensive flights with competitors.

It's not that Ryanair is a little cheaper, it is that it's almost my only option. I know there's no use pleading with you to accept what I want. But... What about only 1% of flights been affected and none of those in Austria... yet

@MikeMelga They told her 3 hours after departure the flight was cancelled? I don't think that is exactly what you meant???

6 minutes ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/flight-cancellations/What-happens-if-my-flight-is-delayed-or-cancelled

The above is from Ryanair's website. The seem to acknowledge they are obliged to get you to your destination, even on far more expensive flights with competitors.

That's BS from them. We were only given the option of rebooking by ourselves. They can't offer alternative flights when they operate from small airports, which don't have alternative flights from other companies, so it doesn't work.

6 minutes ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

@MikeMelga They told her 3 hours after departure the flight was cancelled? I don't think that is exactly what you meant???

...after departure time...

Like I said, none of that matters in case of a strike. It says so in their list of passenger rights (my bold):

As regards your right to compensation, please note that Ryanair is entitled to refuse compensation when:
...we can prove that the cancellation is caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken by Ryanair, including not limited to political instability, safety and security reasons, weather disruption, labour disputes or failure or delay of air traffic control facilities.

11 minutes ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

We will first try

12 minutes ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

then we will try to

Trying is dying, man. No guarantees.

Traveling really sucks these days. I read an article today that said U.S. airlines make the same profits whether they provide good or bad service.

16 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

That's BS from them. We were only given the option of rebooking by ourselves. They can't offer alternative flights when they operate from small airports, which don't have alternative flights from other companies, so it doesn't work.

...after departure time...

The information on their website could well be a reaction to https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/ryanair-cancellations-flights-sued-legal-action-latest-news-updates-a7970851.html

Ryanair faces legal action for “persistently misleading” passengers whose flights it has cancelled because of a shortage of pilots. 

The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) has made the threat after what it says is a series of failures to spell out the rights of hundred of thousands of passengers.

When an EU airline cancels a flight with more than two weeks’ notice, it need not pay compensation. But it must offer a flight on another airline if that is the best option for the passenger, and bear the cost of transfers to or from alternative airports.

The CAA’s chief executive, Andrew Haines, has written to the airline’s legal chief, Juliusz Komorek, outlining breaches of the rules on passengers’ rights and threatening legal action under the Enterprise Act 2002.

Mr Haines reveals that the CAA first wrote to Ryanair on 18 September, following a press conference given by the airline’s chief executive, Michael O’Leary. 

“Michael O’Leary stated that Ryanair was not obliged to reroute passengers on airlines other than Ryanair,” Mr Haines writes.

The following day, the CAA demanded a correction to the statement. 

“To date, you have failed to make this correction,” says the letter. 

52 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

If there are other choices, I wouldn't choose Ryanair even if it cost a couple hundred more. Too old for that shit.

I used to be anti-ryanair myself but flew them the first time last year.

The flight itself is fine, the bad thing for us was the delays (Ryanair are never on time) and the airport facilities are much worse (even at Frankfurt!) 

Lufthansa actually have a smaller seat pitch then Ryanair on their new planes, and as most other big airlines also charge for things such as selecting seat, food, baggage etc. for intra-europe flights then there does not really work out much difference in the service anymore.

And if there is a strike, then Lufthansa, BA or anybody else are not really too much better.  And for 200+ euro saving per passenger (x3) then it starts to make sense.  Also, where i go to back in the UK London Stansted is actually 1 hour closer drive for us plus we get to skip to worst congested areas. 

3 minutes ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, NONE OF THAT MATTERS IF THE PILOTS (OR OTHER EMPLOYEES) STRIKE.

In that case, Ryanair will wash their hands of you.

@El Jeffo You are sounding like a broken record. Whence did you get the above information?

It totally disagrees with https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/ryanair-strike-cancelled-flights-how-claim-compensation-passenger-rights-latest-a8485101.html

Of course it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that Ryanair simply lied, and you are quoting Ryanair's lies back at me.

Under European air passengers’ rights, there is a third option: Ryanair must buy tickets on other airlines if necessary to allow travellers to complete their journeys as swiftly as possible. If you are abroad and your return home is delayed, the airline must provide meals and, if necessary, accommodation until it can bring you back. 

In addition, the UK Civil Aviation Authority has urged passengers whose Ryanair flights are cancelled by strikes to claim compensation of €250 (for journeys of up to 1,500km) or €400 (for longer journeys). But the airline insists the stoppages are beyond its control and says any such claims will be refused

A little more on Ryanair trying to dodge responsibilities because of strikes:

Are strikes considered extraordinary cirucmstances under the EU 261 Regulation?

This depends on whether the strike is internal or external.

Internal strike: You have the right to compensation if the strike is internal, e.g. a strike organised by the company's staff.

External strike: You are not entitled to compensation if the strike is external, e.g. a strike organised by airport staff.

Be aware that in any case, you have the right to be re-routed to your final destination as soon as possible without any extra cost to you. If you are not re-routed, you have the right to be refunded the entirety of your journey

https://www.weclaim.com/en-GB/travel_rights/flight-cancelled-eu261

If they're already denying responsibility (which they do in the document Inlinked), I'd say the chances of them giving you any support are slim to none. You may or may not get compensation, after a fight, but it would be foolhardy to expect help on the day. They're unhelpful bastards even in normal times.

You pays your money, you takes your chances.

Call me missus obvious but I would much rather get to my destination without hassle than have to deal with Ryanair shenanigians on the day or afterwards. If that means paying extra then so be it. Frankly, you couldn't pay me to fly Ryanair, once was enough.

1 hour ago, El Jeffo said:

A strike or other labor action is officially considered force majeure, even if they've done all they can to provoke it, so they won't actually be under any legal obligation to help you, should it come to that. And of course, Ryanair has less than a stellar record of providing support even when they have a legal obligation to help you.

If you want to chance it, go for it, but if your flight gets canceled, I suspect you'll be on your own.

1 hour ago, El Jeffo said:

Like I said, none of that matters in case of a strike. It says so in their list of passenger rights (my bold):

47 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, NONE OF THAT MATTERS IF THE PILOTS (OR OTHER EMPLOYEES) STRIKE.

In that case, Ryanair will wash their hands of you.

That information only applies to compensation. They are still obliged to reimburse or reroute you and provide care

1 minute ago, msam said:

They are still obliged to reimburse or reroute you and provide care

They cannot re-route you if there are no other flights available. Vienna is not Heathrow.

@fraufruit Maybe I'm naive, but surely that have to reroute me to Paris, Amsterdam, Frankfurt or God help us: London, and from there onto Dublin (although then  ideally Shannon).

They cannot just say: no other direct flights, cannot reroute.

Remember there is a problem to every solution.

1 minute ago, fraufruit said:

They cannot re-route you if there are no other flights available. Vienna is not Heathrow.

5 minutes ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

Maybe I'm naive, but surely that have to reroute me to Paris, Amsterdam, Frankfurt or God help us: London, and from there onto Dublin (although then  ideally Shannon).

You have a triple choice between reimbursement and rerouting. You have to be careful because there are 2 re-routing choices. One is "at the earliest opportunity", the other "at a later date". If you choose to take the flight at a later date, your right to care ends. If you choose "at the earliest opportunity" they have to provide care (including hotel if necessary). They will first try to get you on one of their planes and only if that is not possible within some time frame do other airlines come into the equation.