Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Living on the Rhein river bank... Any possible problem?

25 posts in this topic

nwogeorge - If gully can ignore them, sure.  It'll itch for a bit but that's it.  What bugs me most is the sound whenyou are trying to sleep.  

I had never seen those cockroach lookalikes until we moved into a house with garden.  

On 2018-10-15, 10:37:41, fraufruit said:

Do none of the German mosquitoes carry any nefarious diseases? That's the main reason I spray myself when they're out.

Yes, and so do Ticks.  So protect yourself, I sure do. But i meant that mosquitos also means other water born non-biting bugs, which also attract spiders.  All i know is our house is pretty much a freaking bug haven sometimes because of the water/nature proximity.   It takes some getting used to.   Even if they aren't in the house, there are always some unsightly cobwebs full of them on the windows. 

eta: oh and germany is the only place where I get bitten by mosquitos IN my bedroom, IN the winter.  Not a lot, but at least once a year to make me comment to a friend about it. 

Just the other day, I was bitten by a lady bug of all things. Yes, the cute little red bug with black spots. It hurt like hell. It landed on me with wings spread and bit my leg. I used to like them and thought they were harmless.

Are these by any chance the cannibalistic, STI-carrying harlequins?  The new ladybird overlords that have decimated native species?   Lots of articles in the UK about them this summer (as you can tell from my wording probably).

9 minutes ago, swimmer said:

Are these by any chance the cannibalistic, STI-carrying harlequins?  The new ladybird overlords that have decimated native species?   Lots of articles in the UK about them this summer (as you can tell from my wording probably).

Yes, that's what the little fuckers are. I've seen 7 or 8 of them and now I can't enjoy my underpants time on the balcony any more out of fear of being bitten.

Thanks for the info!