Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Living on the Rhein river bank... Any possible problem?

25 posts in this topic

I have found an apartment that is located exactly above the river Rhine in Mannheim.

See an image here: https://i.imgur.com/Xo8MfeC_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Before i sign and pay, i should be sure there will not be any serious problem, living in this situation. So what is your opinion? It is exactly like living far from river or it is completely different?

What about some annoying insects, like mosquitoes, or american cockroaches or german cockroaches? What about spiders? Generally speaking, in all Germany what is the "boss" of these animals?

I have the following experiences:

Athens, Greece: American cockroaches

Countryside, Greece: Spiders

Toronto, Canada: Bed bugs

Gdansk, Poland: Cockroaches (smaller than the american ones, maybe german)

So what is the "boss" of these animals in Germany, and especially in Mannheim?

Also what about living in enviroment with high amounts of moisture and humidity? There should be some problems? What about allergies?

And what about the pollution of the river?

Since the position of the apartment is high, i am not afraid of flooding or overflowing.

Thanks in advance.

Living in river... Any possible problem?

Without having developed webbed feet or wearing SCUBA gear like an aqualung then getting wet or drowning might be an issue.

:Pj/k:lol:

(I've edited your title.)

If the river level is too low for shipping, which has happened for several spring and summer months in the last few years, then its possible that large numbers of mosquitos may breed in those parts of the river which cannot be accessed for preventative ariel flight spraying such as inner city areas.

If you ever experience any sight of cockroaches or bed-bugs then you should notify the Hausverwaltung or your landlord immediately since they would be responsible for arranging for expert pest removal services.

Some spiders in Germany may look impressive but, other than the odd infiltrator hidden amongst fruit imports such as banana cartons, they are not known to be harmful. In fact the opposite is true insofar as they will happily eliminate many more annoying insects from your flat 24/7/365!

Other than that flooding may indeed affect you if you use below ground car parking or a storage unit in the cellar of the building. Also it may cause road or rail closures which could affect your daily commuting or routine shopping situations too.

2B

given your insect obsession, I bet there are insects in the mountains, valleys, cities, suburbs, forests, farms et. al. as well as rivers, streams, lakes, seas.  where have you lived where they didn't?

Interesting to hear that the whole of Toronto is infested with bed bugs.

We had bed bugs in Munich which came from a package from China.

Go figure.

You might want to stay where you are.

I do live near a river part-time at the moment.  Yes, I very do get bitten by a variety of insects that don't come near me in my main city home, and various of them fly around the flat.  Noticable difference in my locale at least.  So you'd probably be better staying away, probably.

In 20 years living in Mannheim, I have never seen the Rhine flood there. If there is high water, the flooding usually occurs upstream at the Waldpark. If there is flooding, it would be confined to the basement/underground garage? and maximum first floor.

Re: insects: There are not that many mosquitoes right on the Rhine - the river flows too fast, I think. I think you would have bigger problems in Lindenhof or Altrip where you have Altrhein "arms", in other words stagnant water.

I lived not far from the river and never had any mosquitoes on the third floor - always had the windows open and the lights on. Maybe they don't fly that high? Cockroaches? no. Spiders? small ones. Outside in the summer at dusk in the Waldpark: plenty of mozzies at dusk. Better take insect repellent. So I guess they are the boss.

The Rhine is heavily controlled via a system of canals and gates to prevent flooding, at least from Basel to Heidelberg.  

Like maxie said, your biggest thing is mosquitos due to standing water in some of flood control arms/canals, Altrhein, quarries etc.  However, when it is a problem, most kreis's will do a bio spray to control it.  Ticks are the next biggest offender.  I've never seen bed bugs or cockroaches along the rhine yet. :D  Spiders show up when there's a large amount of other bugs, so yeah, i see a lot of those simply because i live on a canal and have lots of other little bugs.  Bugs are a part of nature, if you want nature, you will have bugs (flies, mosquitoes and all the little harmless naturey bugs).  We actually have a bit of a problem with ladybugs nesting in our windows in the winter, but its pretty much a sign that we just need new fucking windows that seal properly. 

Mosquitoes: install mosquito nets (or don't open the windows in the evening/at night). Bonus: they also keep out wasps and flies

Bed bugs/Cockroaches: It can happen. Inform the owner or Hausverwaltung immediately - they're mostly responsible for dealing with them

Spiders: You're unlikely to get an infestation of spiders (but I suppose if you, do you need to inform the Hasverwaltung as well). If you really can't stand the individuals you can kill them or throw them out

The current biggest bug irritation in Germany is a harmless one - "Bernsteinschaben".

They are common plant eating bugs that look like small cockroaches, and tend to wander into well lit apartments (unlike real roaches that prefer the dark). They can't live in apartments and starve there, but are quite irritating when the yearly wave zooms around every summer, especially near gardens and parks.

Mosquito netting keeps them out. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ectobius_vittiventris

2 hours ago, Joanie said:

Bugs are a part of nature, if you want nature, you will have bugs (flies, mosquitoes and all the little harmless naturey bugs).

Do none of the German mosquitoes carry any nefarious diseases? That's the main reason I spray myself when they're out.

I would like to thank all of you for your answers. Now I have an idea, what is happening in Germany and especially in Mannheim. Let me ask you some other questions.

About mosquitoes, what if I ignore all of them? I mean, ok some of them will fly inside the apartment, some of them will bite me, and the next day, I will have itching in two - three points. That's all, or maybe, I should be more careful? My experience in summer Greece, indicates just to ignore them.

About Ectobius, as Metall mentioned, this is really what I am afraid of. This is what I saw very strongly in an apartment roughly 100m far from Vistula river, in Gdansk, Poland. This is the boss in this region. I was able to see about 4-5 of them in the apartment every 24 hours, and finally I realised myself, that they are harmless. But in any case, it is better to avoid them. Has anyone seen this kind of small harmless cockroaches in Mannheim?

Anyways, after living two months in Heidelberg, I have noticed that the boss there, is arachnids. Every 2-3 days, you can see one of them in internal places.

Also, what about the humidity? How healthy is to live continuously at 95% relative humidity?

Thanks again.

Mosquitoes (Schnaken) in Germany usually don't bear infectious diseases, but the bites itch a lot. 

46 minutes ago, nwogeorge said:

How healthy is to live continuously at 95% relative humidity?

You'll have soft skin and frizzy hair, neither or which are unhealthy.

1 hour ago, nwogeorge said:

Also, what about the humidity? How healthy is to live continuously at 95% relative humidity?

Not very.

In summer that would be very unpleasant and possibly dangerous (heat stroke/dehydration). In winter, your biggest concern is probably fungus. 

If you have 95% humidity you need to open your windows.

With regard to mosquitoes, it used to be a whole lot worse until they started the annual campaigns against them about 20 years ago - killing billions every year with bio-warfare bombs dropped from helos in the Altrhein areas south of Mannheim.

I think one thing you might notice is a distinct microclimate that comes with bodies of water - even next to a small stream you can feel the temperature cool in summer.  Though if you are on an upper floor it might not be so notable.

holy crap - spiders

I am often astonished at the relatively narrow range of spiders I've encounter here in Munich so far. Normally I just have these funny little guys with REALLY long legs living in hte corners of the room who really do take out any and all flying bugs that manage to fly in.  They even work together to subdue especially large bugs - very interesting to watch them at it!

So generally we just sort of live together, no problem.  I carefully remove the cobwebs and spent spider snacks regularly, they build new ones and capture new victims, everybody seems happy.

but about 3 weeks ago...holy hell.  Reading in bed and I see something scurry past on the floor out of the corner of my eye.  It was the size, speed and general movement of a mouse, which was weird as I've never had a mouse in the apartment in 7 years, so I got up to prepare to find a way to shoo it outside, but nooooooo.  It was a freaking spider the size of a small mouse, plus legs!  CREEPIEST one I've ever seen.  Fast and skittish.  Big body but extra long glassy legs.  I swear it looked a bit and moved almost exactly like the alien babies from the movie series.  

I'm not usually squeamish about bugs, snakes, mice or other crawlies, but this thing was so ghastly I jumped up on the bed and did a little "oh my god oh my god oh my GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHD!!!!" dance as I turned in circles and flung my hands about in an attempt to gather my wits.  It sat there watching me the whole time.  Didn't move.  Which was almost worse.

I managed to get a large drinking glass over it without squishing its legs and after more dancing and whimpering I managed to seal the glass with an unopened rundfuck letter and take it all outside, and it tore off into the night as soon as I pushed the glass over to release it.

I have no earthly idea what that was.  The only spiders I've ever seen that size in colder regions are wood spiders, which are not nearly so hideous nor scary.  I've found a couple of those (or something similar) in my garden here, but this was absolutely not one of those. 

I hope to never encounter one again.  I hope none of you ever have the pleasure either.  Just horrid.

8 hours ago, lisa13 said:

I managed to seal the glass with an unopened rundfuck letter and take it all outside...

Haha! Finally a use for them!!!

Well done, Lisa!

Last time I came home from holidaying without Shorty, I came hom to a living-room with two big, upturned, glasses, and one bowl...and an explanation of "er, Mum, I managed to cover tehm up, but I couldn't get them outside!"....