Health insurance change if married

11 posts in this topic

Hello

I have tried to find an answer in the threads but nothing for this particular situation.

I am unmarried. I have public health insurance which covers me and our child.

My partner has private health insurance.

If we were to be married, would my child and I have to be covered on a private insurance plan or can I keep my public insurance? 

Help appreciated! 

simple...

1. you and the child can of course stay with public health insurance - there is no need or obligation to change towards private health insurance.

2. if your future spouse has higher income then you, the costs for public health insurance will change, though. First of all, in such a case you'll have to pay extra into public health insurance for the child (i.e. it won't be co-insured for free anymore). And your contributions could also raise, depending on the income of the spouse (i.e. about half of his income will count towards your calculation of contributions.

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Hi.

Thanks for the response! Just another question to clarify, so whilst I am paying Insurance through my income, they will also include half of his onto my existing contributions?

29 minutes ago, nerualrelyt said:

Hi.

Thanks for the response! Just another question to clarify, so whilst I am paying Insurance through my income, they will also include half of his onto my existing contributions?

No, half of his income will count towards your calculation of contributions.

1 hour ago, nerualrelyt said:

Hi.

Are you an employee, nerualrelyt? You say you have income, And does your future husband earn more than you? And does he earn over the income threshold of 60,700 euros p.a. from 2019 as an employee or is he self-employed and either earn over 60, 700 or - another question - earn less than you? Oh, and when you get married, will you continue to work?

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Hi

Yes I am employed. 

He earns over the threshold and is employed.

I will continue to work, exception only being elternzeit.

That means: you stay publicly insured at your current rate but your child either:

can be paid for extra (c.170 euros a month ) as a voluntary member of public insurance

OR

can be privately insured with your husband´s insurer or elsewhere ( though only a couple of private insurers accept a child as a " client " without at least one parent being a client of theirs.)

It depends on the level of cover you want your child to have insurance-wise and, of course, on the health status of your child.

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Hi John

Thanks for the clarification. We were under the impression that we all had to go on the private scheme if we got married.

There is much disinformation about this issue, nerualelyt...usually from snake oil salespeople.  BUT also disinformation from employees at public health insurance companies. Oh, yes!

When/if the moment arrives that you tie the knot, just post again re your situation. You never know re law changes.

:lol: By the way, I am SO tired tonight that I don´t even remember if " disinformation " is a real word! Or am I Ronald Reagan´s scriptwriter?

Disinformation is for sure a word!

It's a bit of a pain in the arse as Germany seems quite pro marriage but in this situation no one is exactly clear on what's what..

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.