Recommend me a tablet to use for basic apps & to share with kids?

6 posts in this topic

Anyone have experience buying a tablet to use for some basic stuff like email and office apps, as well as sharing with the kids to let them do some educational stuff via web sites?

At home we have an 8inch Samsung TAB-S which is our tablet which is find for our needs, mostly surfing and checking some apps, and we have an Amazon Kids 8inch HD tablet.

What I can say is that I do not recommend the Amazon tablet!  

As a device works poorly and is tired to Amazon and their content, so many apps are not even available (no access to google play store!).  For my daughter the amount of content is great and that is fine, but you have to pay a yearly subscription.

The Samsung has a "kids Mode", but I honestly have not used it so I can't comment on it.  Plus the device is some 3-4 years old now so is probably out of date. 

It might be an idea to look for a tablet and then a way to "lock it down" via a special "kids mode" type app.  There are some available but I haven't looked into them.  And/or a kids browser.

if you want to use it for email and office apps then I would suggest getting a Bluetooth keyboard, as anything more than a few lines of typing on the screen is not productive.

45 minutes ago, sos-the-rope said:

Sure, but that wasn’t the question.

so.. then the answer to your question is "yes"...

I would get an iPad. It's what we use and it's the easiest and most straightforward. Used to have a regular iPad (3), and now the mini 4. My daughter needs no instruction on how to find her videos... wait, is that good or bad?