Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Child's passport expiring

18 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

My 5-year-old's US passport expires in mid-November.  I've just sat down to book a renewal appointment for him in Berlin and discovered that the US consulate has changed their whole appointment system and that there are no appointments available until end of November (over a week after his passport expires).  It used to be that there were appointments available every day and it was possible to book them fairly quickly - I certainly didn't expect that there would be no appointments available when I'm looking several weeks in advance, my prior experience has been different.  

Question: should I be worried?  I'm pretty sure it's a violation of German laws for my son to have only an expired passport that whole time - are we likely to have problems?  Should I beg the consulate to fit us in somehow before the expiration date or just relax and book an appointment at the end of November because it's not likely that we're going to have a problem with this?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Cheers,

Q

Ask the Consulate. I don't see where one week would be a big deal for a child. Of course your child can't travel internationally without a current one. In some cases, they need to be valid for at least 6  months, I believe.

The one thing you most likely will encounter a problem with is if you travel with the expired passport or you need to apply for anything that requires a passport. Other than that, simply renew your child’s passport. I found this link. It says (including expired US passport) 

https://de.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/renewing-a-childs-passport-under-the-age-of-16/?_ga=2.247106572.968975758.1538846146-687188210.1538846146

What you’d be worried about is an expired residence permit. Other than that, you should be good. US embassy may fine you for late renewal but that’s about it. 

I renewed my us passport by mail a few years ago. Didn't require a visit to the consulate. Maybe you can try doing that? If I remember correctly I got the passport back in about a week after sending in all the required documents.

---------

Edit: Forget what I said. Didn't know children are required to appear in person. https://de.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/renewing-a-childs-passport-under-the-age-of-16/

To answer your question I wouldn't worry. The required documents for a new passport say you can submit an already- expired one. As others mentioned though I wouldn't travel with the child until they get their new one.

Although checking online (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/requirements/fees.html) I don't see anything about renewing after expiration costing more, I am pretty sure that when I renewed a child's passport after expiration it cost something like $60 more.  This was in 2016. 

I agree the U.S. Citizens' Services is less accessible than it was a few years ago. 

Don't forget to bring both parents or a notarized consent form, and don't forget your prepaid DHL envelope to get the passport delivered.

But, since the OP is in Berlin, I have no sympathy for her!  :-)

10 hours ago, questioning said:

the residence permit is good until he's 16.  thanks guys!

you sure you don't have to have the permit updated when he gets his new passport?  I had to, and my permanent residence permit requires me to get a "new" one when my current passport expires/is replaced

I don't have a residence permit and have never had one. Tried to make an appointment to get one a while back when I got a new U.S. passport but no appointments available. They told me to just carry my old passport with my Aufenhaltsgenimung in it. That is what I've been doing.

And now I realize we might be talking about something totally different. B)

10 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I don't have a residence permit and have never had one. Tried to make an appointment to get one a while back when I got a new U.S. passport but no appointments available. They told me to just carry my old passport with my Aufenhaltsgenimung in it. That is what I've been doing.

And now I realize we might be talking about something totally different. B)

You can do this for up to 6 months, in within you can transfer your permit to the new passport.   After 6 months you can travel like that and you have to do the transfer in an Auslaenderbehoerder.

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

You can do this for up to 6 months, in within you can transfer your permit to the new passport.   After 6 months you can travel like that and you have to do the transfer in an Auslaenderbehoerder.

They told me just to carry my old passport that has my Unbefristet Aufenhaltsgenimigung in it along with my new passport. That's what I've been doing for over a year and show both when returning to the EU. The pass control people seem to see this all the time. No problems. 

So, just in case anyone is still curious, apparently they don't make all appointments available for booking online at once and "release" them in batches.  They emailed me to tell me to check the website again, and sure enough, I was able to book an earlier appointment.  Wish I'd known this beforehand - now you do!

AFAIK kids renewing counts as a new passport application as they want to see the human in front of them.

Also, there is absolutely no fine from the Americans for renewing your passport late. The Americans don't care.

On 10/8/2018, 7:45:18, questioning said:

not sure why I deserve less sympathy for living in Berlin

Because it is so much easier for Berlin-living Americans to get to Clayallee than it is for Sachsen-living Americans.