Ausbildung als Erzieher/in - anyone done this?!

16 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am interested to do an ausbildung to become a kindergarten teacher.  I am looking for anyone who has done an ausbildung or is doing one! I have many questions!!!

Anyone? Hello?!

Will you add some general information here as well, so that people with similar questions can also learn from kayw's experience? My son has thought about it, and we would be interested in knowing more.

Brooke PM'ed me with some questions, which I answered and copied below:

1. I was pretty fluent in German when I started the Ausbildung. It is in German and is obviously not just your typical everyday language. I still struggled at the beginning though - it was so tiring to sit through lectures in German, to listen to everything and try to understand everything in a foreign language. Assignments also took a LONG time to complete due to the language!

2. I did the Berufsbegleitende Ausbilgung which means I studied and worked in a Kita side by side.  I had school on Mondays 8am-1pm and on Wednesdays 2pm-7pm, and I worked 30 hours in a Kita in addition to this. I needed the money! This meant I worked a few hours after school on Mondays, a few hours before school on Wednesdays, and on Tues, Thurs and Fri I worked full days.  The Berliner Senat have increased the number of school hours now though. Some colleagues also did the Berufsbegleitende Auslbildung but had two full days of classes and then worked full days the other three days of the week, it just depends which school you go to.  The other option is a Vollzeit Ausbilding, where you have full semesters of school and then you do a Praktikum in a Kita for a few months. 

3. I first found a job as an English Speaker in a large Kita in Berlin, and was then informed that I would have to do the Ausbildung if I wanted to keep working there - this is normal.  I had planned to do the Ausbildung at some point anyway. My Kita is part of the Fröbel Gruppe, and the woman who coordinates the English Speakers in Berlin suggested the SPI school to me.  The SPI is on Hallesches Ufer, near the UBahn station Möckernbrücke. I didn't really consider any others. I applied directly to the school - they told me what to provide (copies of passport, work contract, degree certificate etc)

4. During the Ausbildung I was paid around 1200/1300 euro each month, netto, i.e. after all taxes and health insurance is taken off.  This was for 30 hours work per week at the level of Kindergartenhelferin, since I wasn't qualified at that stage.  This will obviously vary hugely depending on where you work and how long you work!

5.  A general salary for an Erzieher/in at the entry level (just starting) in the Fröbel Gruppe is around 1800 netto per month. This increases after a certain number of years, or if you do further qualifications.

6. My Kita is not bilingual - we offer the kids a first contact to a foreign language, in this case English, in day to day life.  I do all the things a German Erzieherin does, but in English (mostly). You would still have to do all coursework, assignments, exams etc in German.

7. (question regarding class/work hours answered above)

8. I would say the best place to look for Ausbildung places would be directly with the schools themselves and not the Job Centre. However I have never had anything to do with the Job Centre so I wouldn't know what they offer!

9. I still work at the same Kita and really love my job! One has to love kids to do this job!!  It is sometimes loud, chaotic, stressful but that is how it is with large groups of young kids!  I don't have children myself - I had every evening and every weekend free to study and complete assignments, revise for tests etc.  I can imagine the berufsbegleitende Ausbildung would be trickier with your own kids to take care of too, but anything is doable. Perhaps the school which has classes until 8pm would not be the best option, rather the school with two full days of classes per week instead, for example.

Happy to answer anything else!

On 06/10/2018, 19:53:21, kayw said:

1. I was pretty fluent in German when I started the Ausbildung. It is in German and is obviously not just your typical everyday language. I still struggled at the beginning though - it was so tiring to sit through lectures in German, to listen to everything and try to understand everything in a foreign language. Assignments also took a LONG time to complete due to the language!

2. I did the Berufsbegleitende Ausbilgung which means I studied and worked in a Kita side by side.  I had school on Mondays 8am-1pm and on Wednesdays 2pm-7pm, and I worked 30 hours in a Kita in addition to this. I needed the money! This meant I worked a few hours after school on Mondays, a few hours before school on Wednesdays, and on Tues, Thurs and Fri I worked full days.  The Berliner Senat have increased the number of school hours now though. Some colleagues also did the Berufsbegleitende Auslbildung but had two full days of classes and then worked full days the other three days of the week, it just depends which school you go to.  The other option is a Vollzeit Ausbilding, where you have full semesters of school and then you do a Praktikum in a Kita for a few months. 

3. I first found a job as an English Speaker in a large Kita in Berlin, and was then informed that I would have to do the Ausbildung if I wanted to keep working there - this is normal.  I had planned to do the Ausbildung at some point anyway. My Kita is part of the Fröbel Gruppe, and the woman who coordinates the English Speakers in Berlin suggested the SPI school to me.  The SPI is on Hallesches Ufer, near the UBahn station Möckernbrücke. I didn't really consider any others. I applied directly to the school - they told me what to provide (copies of passport, work contract, degree certificate etc)

4. During the Ausbildung I was paid around 1200/1300 euro each month, netto, i.e. after all taxes and health insurance is taken off.  This was for 30 hours work per week at the level of Kindergartenhelferin, since I wasn't qualified at that stage.  This will obviously vary hugely depending on where you work and how long you work!

5.  A general salary for an Erzieher/in at the entry level (just starting) in the Fröbel Gruppe is around 1800 netto per month. This increases after a certain number of years, or if you do further qualifications.

6. My Kita is not bilingual - we offer the kids a first contact to a foreign language, in this case English, in day to day life.  I do all the things a German Erzieherin does, but in English (mostly). You would still have to do all coursework, assignments, exams etc in German.

8. I would say the best place to look for Ausbildung places would be directly with the schools themselves and not the Job Centre. However I have never had anything to do with the Job Centre so I wouldn't know what they offer!

9. I still work at the same Kita and really love my job! One has to love kids to do this job!!  It is sometimes loud, chaotic, stressful but that is how it is with large groups of young kids!  I don't have children myself - I had every evening and every weekend free to study and complete assignments, revise for tests etc.  I can imagine the berufsbegleitende Ausbildung would be trickier with your own kids to take care of too, but anything is doable. Perhaps the school which has classes until 8pm would not be the best option, rather the school with two full days of classes per week instead, for example.

On 06/10/2018, 19:53:21, kayw said:

Hi Kayw can you contact me in private because I want to ask smth  about this school. 

I will be grateful.

My daughter also did full time Ausbildung from Anna Freud Schule. Everything was in German and though she had C1 in German from Goethe, still she had difficulty initially to cope up with the special terms , etc.

But its all in the past and now she is working in a school and happy :rolleyes:

Now that our daughter is at Kita, and I’m seeing things firsthand, I have so much respect for people who actually want to do this for a living. 
Thank you! 

My children loved Kita.  My daughter arrived aged 3 and had to learn German.  First year was tough, but the whole play thing was great.  In the UK she went to a nursery  from 6 months.  At less than 2 they were attempting to teach reading.  I do not mean, like reading picture books with writing next to the stories.  No, rote learning of letters, and letter combinations.  2 year olds love this, ha.  Then making them write their name.  Which made you wish you had called your child Jo.  Pity the Greek children. And children not able to do this early being labelled as stupid.   Mad.

In my opinion, they should all (Krippe and Kita workers) receive a permanent salary/wage top-up from the federal government.

1. They need and deserve it.

2. It's affordable (if priorities are set!) 

3. It will make the profession just a little more attractive, and help staff retention and improve adult-to-kid ratios.

4. Related to point 3, it will hopefully spur more realistic operating hours (for Kita at least) that will allow Germany to finally move its concept of "appropriate" working hours for mothers out of the 1950s. And maybe it will stabilize the plummeting birth rate and allow women to both follow their career aspirations and be mothers. (In whatever permutation and combination suits a particular family best.)

On point 2., let's explore it. There are apparently 442,387 (year 2020) "Erzieherinnen und Erzieher in Kindertageseinrichtungen beschäftigt" (pasted wiki link kept in for your convenience). I suppose some Krippe/Kita staff, perhaps directors or senior 'queen bees', may do 40ish hours a week. But, IME that is not the norm. Let's assume 30 hour work week for all, which is certainly inflated because not all those 443 000 (rounding that up for fun too) in the profession work that much on average. At least, I think it's less but let's go with 30 for the sake of argument. And finally let's then propose a modest 3 euro per person top-up on their current hourly wages. 

443 000 * (30 * 3) = 39 870 000, or a €39.8 million top-up. But gasp! you say, how ever will the country afford that! Well for a country like Germany running surpluses in the double-digit billions for a while now, that really is chump change in budget terms.

Let's also take that the average wage (google told me) is currently €21 per hour. So let's make it €24 now. (24*30) * 4 weeks = 2880 brutto. Using https://www.gehalt.de/einkommen/brutto-netto-rechner and plugging in some average values for tax class, let's say 1 child, no church tax, you get €1940 netto. Which is still a bit below the average in Germany , but much more comfortable than 1200 (as written above). (I know, calculating this with average wage is a bit faulty, as many make more or less, but you get my point I hope in that it's a modest but fair increase).

Play with the numbers as you like. I'm no mathematician, so this is just back of a napkin stuff. 

Anyway, it's fun to think about although I know this will never happen. Why not? Because let's be real: it's "women's work" and it's not taken that seriously. Germany will drive off the cliff before it releases its death grip over its attitudes on this...

So true. My wife is an Erzieherin, and although she loves the kids - and they love her - she is exhausted when she comes home and collapses on the couch. Early shifts, long hours, low pay - they really do work hard for their money. My Mum was in charge of a nursery back in the UK, so I really do respect the hard work they do which is typically undervalued and underestimated.

More power to them, and a pay rise too!

On 10/5/2018, 5:40:25, brookeb said:

ausbildung to become a kindergarten teacher.  I am looking for anyone who has done an ausbildung or is doing one! I have many questions!!!

See also https://www.agdwpodcast.com/about   Alex: A kindergarten teacher that grew up in the little state of Rhode Island, USA.

On 22.9.2021 23:16:02, alderhill said:

In my opinion, they should all (Krippe and Kita workers) receive a permanent salary/wage top-up from the federal government.

1. They need and deserve it.

2. It's affordable (if priorities are set!) 

3. It will make the profession just a little more attractive, and help staff retention and improve adult-to-kid ratios.

4. Related to point 3, it will hopefully spur more realistic operating hours (for Kita at least) that will allow Germany to finally move its concept of "appropriate" working hours for mothers out of the 1950s. And maybe it will stabilize the plummeting birth rate and allow women to both follow their career aspirations and be mothers. (In whatever permutation and combination suits a particular family best.)

On point 2., let's explore it. There are apparently 442,387 (year 2020) "Erzieherinnen und Erzieher in Kindertageseinrichtungen beschäftigt" (pasted wiki link kept in for your convenience). I suppose some Krippe/Kita staff, perhaps directors or senior 'queen bees', may do 40ish hours a week. But, IME that is not the norm. Let's assume 30 hour work week for all, which is certainly inflated because not all those 443 000 (rounding that up for fun too) in the profession work that much on average. At least, I think it's less but let's go with 30 for the sake of argument. And finally let's then propose a modest 3 euro per person top-up on their current hourly wages. 

443 000 * (30 * 3) = 39 870 000, or a €39.8 million top-up. But gasp! you say, how ever will the country afford that! Well for a country like Germany running surpluses in the double-digit billions for a while now, that really is chump change in budget terms.

Let's also take that the average wage (google told me) is currently €21 per hour. So let's make it €24 now. (24*30) * 4 weeks = 2880 brutto. Using https://www.gehalt.de/einkommen/brutto-netto-rechner and plugging in some average values for tax class, let's say 1 child, no church tax, you get €1940 netto. Which is still a bit below the average in Germany , but much more comfortable than 1200 (as written above). (I know, calculating this with average wage is a bit faulty, as many make more or less, but you get my point I hope in that it's a modest but fair increase).

Play with the numbers as you like. I'm no mathematician, so this is just back of a napkin stuff. 

Anyway, it's fun to think about although I know this will never happen. Why not? Because let's be real: it's "women's work" and it's not taken that seriously. Germany will drive off the cliff before it releases its death grip over its attitudes on this...

There is or was an initiative to get more male Erziehers. I am retired but if I had my time again I might think of trying it, I love children. Apparently they need male role models, not sure which male traits are particularly desirable for the little angels.