Gender neutral toilets.

177 posts in this topic

GN toilets are definitely the way to go. No matter how you identify yourself you will be allowed to use them without any hassle. Probably more cost effective for the managing company as well so a win win.

11 hours ago, French bean said:

GN toilets are definitely the way to go. No matter how you identify yourself you will be allowed to use them without any hassle. Probably more cost effective for the managing company as well so a win win.

11 hours ago, Krieg said:

I don't think men would be offended if women pass by in order to go to the cabins.

Oh I agree, technically in a way my partner could have used the urinal whilst I used the toilet (which was in a separate cabin).

I think the issue is most women have a problem passing men using a urinal. (I myself would not have a problem, but everyone is different, also imagine a child having to pass a man using one).

Men are used to not having privacy in public toilets as urinals are not in separate cabins. Womens toilets noone sees each other pee etc.. the cabins are private. Maybe even just rearrange the design so the toilet cubicle comes first and the urinal after. In a way it is kind of what you are used to, social conditioning.

I agree as well that GN toilets are the way to go. We do need to change our perception about these things.

23 minutes ago, Anna66 said:

I think the issue is most women have a problem passing men using a urinal. (I myself would not have a problem, but everyone is different, also imagine a child having to pass a man using one).

I understand your point, but I think this is precisely what we have to change.   We have to get rid of all the nonsense taboos we were raised with and see nudity as something normal.   Of course I know this will take very long time, maybe one or two generations.

Men are used to not having privacy in public toilets as urinals are not in separate cabins.

Just like we consider totally normal to see a topless man but a topless woman is a taboo.

Maybe even just rearrange the design so the toilet cubicle comes first and the urinal after. In a way it is kind of what you are used to, social conditioning.

Good idea.  But it will probably use more space or reduce the number of stalls.  Still a good idea, when it is possible.

3 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Just like we consider totally normal to see a topless man but a topless woman is a taboo.

I just had this conversation with two female colleagues yesterday. My question was/is, considering the gender equality laws, couldn't a woman walk around topless if she wanted to?

Not trying to be weird or anything, just wondering if that wouldn't be the case, should that ever go to the German equivalent of the Supreme Court.

ETA: Their response was: Good point! Men should have to wear bikini tops! :lol:

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

I understand your point, but I think this is precisely what we have to change.   We have to get rid of all the nonsense taboos we were raised with and see nudity as something normal.   Of course I know this will take very long time, maybe one or two generations.

Good idea.  But it will probably use more space or reduce the number of stalls.  Still a good idea, when it is possible.

1 hour ago, A.N.Other said:

I just had this conversation with two female colleagues yesterday. My question was/is, considering the gender equality laws, couldn't a woman walk around topless if she wanted to?

Not trying to be weird or anything, just wondering if that wouldn't be the case, should that ever go to the German equivalent of the Supreme Court.

I agree 100%.

The day a man can walk around wearing a skirt or dress and be respected is the day we will have true equality. Skirts do not necessarily have to be feminine. I saw a guy the other day in the cinema wearing a long straight black leather skirt, with biker boots, long black hair and a full beard. He was as masculine as hell! Then there are kilts for example. Traditonally worn by men.

Especially in summer skirts can be really nice to keep cool. It simply is not fair!

1 minute ago, Anna66 said:

The day a man can walk around wearing a skirt or dress and be respected is the day we will have true equality. Skirts do not necessarily have to be feminine. I saw a guy the other day in the cinema wearing a long straight black leather skirt, with biker boots, long black hair and a full beard. He was as masculine as hell! Then there are kilts. Especially in summer skirts can be really nice to keep cool. It simply is not fair!

I live in Berlin, one of the world's capitals of hipsterism, 2 years ago the trend for guys was wearing tights with long socks over the tights, and a muscle shirt.   That was a bit too much to swallow, but I would accept anything in the name of gender equality.

4 minutes ago, Anna66 said:

Especially in summer skirts can be really nice to keep cool. It simply is not fair!

I, for one, wish I could have a purse. I know there is a man-bag, but I have been told that I "can't pull that off".

In the winter it's ok, as I can put the few things I always need in my jacket pockets, but in the summer, I'm forced to bring a backpack everywhere I go.

AFAIK public nudity is generally not an offense in Germany.  I do not see why a woman could not walk around topless.  Your company dress code might prohibit that, however :)

2 hours ago, A.N.Other said:

My question was/is, considering the gender equality laws, couldn't a woman walk around topless if she wanted to?

A couple of years back Iceland had a campaign called "free the nipple" based exactly on this.  Of course large numbers of Icelandic women spammming social media with pictures of themselves topless probably interested many men (and some women) for rather different reasons than hoped.

1 hour ago, Anna66 said:

Skirts do not necessarily have to be feminine. I saw a guy the other day in the cinema wearing a long straight black leather skirt, with biker boots, long black hair and a full beard. He was as masculine as hell!

YES 

one of the hottest guys I ever saw IRL was at a club wearing a catholic school girl's skirt and this strangely tiny/short, poofy sleeved blouse, knee high combat-ish boots and spiky hair.  On top of the boots and hair he was fairly muscular, and somehow these "girly" clothes made him seem MORE manly and masculine with the juxtaposition he had going on.

I am still in lust over that one.  My wing man made inquiries and he was unfortunately already married :( 

gawd!

in the summer, I'm forced to bring a backpack everywhere I go

no, you're not ;)

you could most definitely pull off a small to medium sized messenger bag.  Or if that felt too conspicuous to you, get a camera bag.  

oh!  or a fanny pack...hehehehehe

1 minute ago, lisa13 said:

no, you're not ;)

you could most definitely pull off a small to medium sized messenger bag. 

I had one at a concert a few years ago and happened to run into several TTers from back in the day. They assured me that I (specifically me) couldn't pull that off. I guess I'm just not the type for it.

Just now, A.N.Other said:

I had one at a concert a few years ago and happened to run into several TTers from back in the day. They assured me that I (specifically me) couldn't pull that off. I guess I'm just not the type for it.

ah well there's your mistake:  listening to a TTer's opinion on your fashion choices

but why the hell do you care what anyone thinks?  If it makes your life easier, freaking do it!

I, for one, wish I could have a purse. I know there is a man-bag, but I have been told that I "can't pull that off".

In the winter it's ok, as I can put the few things I always need in my jacket pockets, but in the summer, I'm forced to bring a backpack everywhere I go.

Sure you can :) Screw what other people think! It is your life and your comfort!

17 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

ah well there's your mistake:  listening to a TTer's opinion on your fashion choices

but why the hell do you care what anyone thinks? 

It was hot chicks who said it... :lol:

8 minutes ago, A.N.Other said:

It was hot chicks who said it... :lol:

m-hm.

and did you make it into their pants?  If not, get a freaking murse.

3 hours ago, Krieg said:

In the late 80's it was quite normal to walk along a beach full of topless women, not so much now.

2 hours ago, Anna66 said:

The day a man can walk around wearing a skirt or dress and be respected is the day we will have true equality. Skirts do not necessarily have to be feminine. I saw a guy the other day in the cinema wearing a long straight black leather skirt, with biker boots, long black hair and a full beard. He was as masculine as hell! Then there are kilts for example. Traditonally worn by men.

Last year or the year before there was an article in the news about bus drivers wearing skirts in hot weather because they were not allowed shorts, also a school I think in the UK allowed the boys to wear skirts for the same reason so we are not that far away from it becoming acceptable.

Who remembers David Beckham in his long skirt?

Can anyone remember when a tranny was a transistor radio? 275 and 285 on medium wave and stereo vhf!

17 minutes ago, French bean said:

Last year or the year before there was an article in the news about bus drivers wearing skirts in hot weather because they were not allowed shorts, also a school I think in the UK allowed the boys to wear skirts for the same reason so we are not that far away from it becoming acceptable.

I think its already acceptable.  I can imagine that a lot of people thing its strange or unusual but thats not the same.  I think its weird for germans to wear thick winter coats on sunny autumn days but thats not the same as thinking its unacceptable.

Things like leather kilts have as far back as I remember always been acceptable, at least as far as any leather, piercings etc culture has been acceptable.