Gender neutral toilets.

177 posts in this topic

:D I meanwhile talk to the dogs in Greek, French bean! It´s their country but they are understanding..we talk about Brexit sometimes and they  lift legs und so!!! Nach dem Motto: NO baked beans, babe - I want Greek food! But not " the cheap shit " you serve every day! Picky sods!!!

Just few days ago I was in a shopping mall and the line up for women was about a 10min wait while the gents was all empty I thought how inefficient public restrooms are. If they were genderneutral it wouldn’t matter. 

Oh and if this is a problem for you be happy that these are your largest problems in life.

Some of the newer autobahn toilets have 4-6 single stalls and then one extra for urinals.

8 hours ago, Mapleleafdude said:

Just few days ago I was in a shopping mall and the line up for women was about a 10min wait while the gents was all empty I thought how inefficient public restrooms are.

Men don't need to redo make-up and some men "forget" to wash their hands which are time-savers. At the Oktoberfest, you have a tent with one large urinal where ca. 50 men can urinate simultaneously. Now, that's efficient. Let women top that :).

1 hour ago, LukeSkywalker said:

some men "forget" to wash their hands which are time-savers. 

Quite a lot of women as well.   Not so unusual in ours.  I often don't after "just" urination.   We also have specific conditions to deal with in there of course - menstruation, pregnancy (inc. vomiting) etc.  

42 minutes ago, swimmer said:

I often don't after "just" urination.

Ewww! But you're touching everything in there that others have touched before washing their hands or they also don't wash their hands.

Well, yes, I do know that but in the scheme of things, in a wealthy western setting, it's not actually that much of a risk.  The other patrons are not actually smearing door handles with faeces etc.  It's not like we're getting sick as a result. Over-rated risk.  Builds immunity (and my family is very 60s in that "roll around in dirt when you can in your safe western setting" respect) and also saves water.    (My overseas projects include locations that have e.g. cholera and people around me there die of it and so there is totally different.  That does need a 100% focussed mind on toilet and other hygiene / water process as far as is possible there, not only for you but as a responsibility for everyone you encounter potentially).

There's also many processes with much the same risk, if not more (e.g. money handling, eating food prepared by strangers, sitting with large groups of strangers on a bus).  And no doubt many "OMG, how dare you not wash your hands after using a public bathroom" are perfectly happy to offer someone else their mouth / penis / vagina (and indeed sometimes anus) etc without thorough cleansing when it suits, and use someone else's.  So the alleged perils of this often seem very selective "logic".   

Those toi toi I mentioned (that are next to food stalls) certainly do not have handwashing but you don't hear of football fans (many of whom head off to buy food next) getting ill.

54 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Ewww! But you're touching everything in there that others have touched before washing their hands or they also don't wash their hands.

exactly.  I don't wash my hands to rid me of my own germs, but those of others.  It's just basic hygiene and is quite effective to avoid catching a cold or similar.  

I also have no reason to believe all people are quite so good at wiping (especially kids) that there aren't traces of bodily fluids/excrement left on various handles/knobs/etc.   However I prefer to put that far out of mind as...ick.

just all the way around, there is every reason to wash your hands after using a public toilet and I can't think of any reason not to.

My wife always carries a pack of anti-bacterial hand wipes for such an occasion.

15 hours ago, Mapleleafdude said:

Just few days ago I was in a shopping mall and the line up for women was about a 10min wait while the gents was all empty I thought how inefficient public restrooms are. If they were genderneutral it wouldn’t matter. 

Absolutely and much much worse at busy motorway service stations in holiday situations.

Why must all the young (and quite frankly not so young) boys be queued up with their mothers rather than their fathers to be taken to the toilet? Spectacularly inefficient use of resources.

3 minutes ago, Kommentarlos said:

Why must all the young (and quite frankly not so young) boys be queued up,with their mothers rather than their fathers to be taken to the toilet? Spectacularly inefficient use of resources.

All? Really? I see many going into the toilets with their fathers.

Fact - men are quicker using the toilet in general for just a wee wee.

Fact - in busy places, there should be more women's toilets.

Fact - When nobody is waiting for the men's and there is a long line at the women's, I go ahead and take a stall in the men's.

There is a simple solution to this, make men's toilets gender neutral while keeping ladies toilets for those whose birth certificate says either front hole or non binary. Front hole is now the new term for vagina, it's more accurate and less sexist as it doesn't exlude transmen.

Oh not sure about the US but in Canada and the UK  trans teenage boys, that is teenager girls who self identity as boys, can opt to have their breast removed starting at age 16 and occasionally age 14.. From what I've read only requires an appointment or two to arrange. Not sure if the public health system will pay for reconstruction for those who decide to detransition. 

ah yes...non-male people are to be sorted based on where their holes are.

this kind of suggests that men, not being "front holes" are...assholes?

eta:  I don't personally think men are assholes - far from it...the whole post gives me an "ew" feeling.

13 minutes ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

Front hole is now the new term for vagina, it's more accurate and less sexist as it doesn't exlude transmen.

It might be "accurate" for a man who's never seen a woman's nether regions, I suppose :blink:.

But it'd be highly inaccurate :lol:.   A man's "hole" is far more front than ours.   If we all took our clothes off and were viewed from the front, it'd not be the female "holes" that would be visible.

Mine's facing downwards.   Towards the floor.  I had for 50 years thought that was typical :blink:.

20 minutes ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

Front hole is now the new term for vagina, it's more accurate and less sexist as it doesn't exlude transmen.

Front hole now means vagina??  What is the hole in front of it called then?  The frontyer front hole? 

Surely middle hole?

21 minutes ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

There is a simple solution to this, make men's toilets gender neutral while keeping ladies toilets for those whose birth certificate says either front hole or non binary. Front hole is now the new term for vagina, it's more accurate and less sexist as it doesn't exlude transmen.

This plan would keep transwomen out of the ladies room and force them to use the men's (or now gender neutral) toilets.  So any woman seen going in there would automatically be pegged as trans.

honestly I think the whole topic is completely stupid.

people who are up to no good are really up to no good!  They will not be dissuaded nor encouraged by laws against or for gender mixing in public restrooms.  Even with current laws against mixing, people already "enjoy" sex in public restrooms (this goes for same sex as well as hetero activities), in the last year I recall several cases in the US where traditionally dressed men followed females into their "gender specific" public restrooms and tried to assault them, and where's the best place to do drugs on the go?  public toilets, no doubt.  I knew a couple who's son was molested in a public bathroom as for some reason his mom thought they should stick to the rules about using their "own" restrooms.  And who NEVER went to the bathroom throughout high school as girls were always getting generally harassed or even beaten up (by other girls) in there?  ME.  My poor bladder is now the size of a football thanks to that training.

There is just no sure fire way to make public spaces of any kind 100% safe, and of course this applies to toilets as well.  What are they going to do?  put a stiffer penalty on the person who assaults someone in a gender specific toilet?  No.  It's just stupid.

I don't care one whit who is the stall next to me.  I just don't.  Why would I care?  So long as they're just relieving themselves, I just don't give a rat's ass.  My general sense is "OMG just grow the hell up"

Yep, as I said, been peeing beside trannies my entire life as we all have done. They are not the problem but they get thrown under the bus every time this discussion comes up.

The only need I see is more women't toilets in large venues.