Family reunion visa status

11 posts in this topic

My husband acquired freelancer Visa in June in Berlin. Since I am only a US green card holder, I flew back to the US to apply for family reunion visa in July. My husband naturally wants to stay with me and wait here too. A few days ago I wrote to Berlin LABO to check the status, they said they notified my husband in August that they needed some more documents. Since we have not been in Berlin, it was possible we missed the letters from them or something. I asked them if they can tell me what they need and we can email (or mail). No reply yet

I am pretty nervous about it because what if they question why my husband left Berlin after just getting the visa. In a way I am like my husband's translator in Germany. I usually deal with the paper work, we didn't think about him getting any docs...

Anyone gets any insight? or experiences, as freelancer's dependent in Berlin?

On 04/10/2018, 20:35:26, tracysg said:

My husband acquired freelancer Visa in June in Berlin. Since I am only a US green card holder, I flew back to the US to apply for family reunion visa in July. My husband naturally wants to stay with me and wait here too.

What did he do with his apartment in Berlin?  What about his health insurance? Did he abmelden?

On 04/10/2018, 20:35:26, tracysg said:

I am pretty nervous about it because what if they question why my husband left Berlin after just getting the visa.

Why did he leave? Why didn't you both just apply in the US?

You also need to be careful with your immigration status in the US if you move to Germany. You need to apply for a re-entry visa (at least in my time you had to). If you stay abroad for a long time the US authorities will likely say that you abandoned your residency and you might lose your greencard. If you can get American citizenship before leaving get it.

On 10/4/2018, 8:35:26, tracysg said:

My husband naturally wants to stay with me and wait here too.

While many couples "naturally" want to stay together, it is normal for important and complex life events to get in the way.   Building a life in another nation would definitely be one, especially when that other state is able to place some demands on where and how we live.   Indeed, it might be at least as natural to expect to be apart for some time.   The "natural" thing would possibly more typically be that short term familial effort and resource focuses on delivering the life goal?

I've lived here for a long time now and both my partner and I are German now, and have been setting up a home in Berlin recently, but I've done a lot of that alone.    Sure we could have devoted both our time to togetherness where based  or working - but no new home.  Normal couple / family life juggling.  Similarly, when I first moved here, it would have been far more difficult if we were only ever in the same place.   He was here to find and set up home, and get me set up for relevant systems (banking, health etc).

Assuming we both have to be in the same place at this life point is possibly very restricting, and often an inefficient use of our scarce familial resource.   Authorities also do not value rationales like "but we naturally wanted to be together" above our fulfillment of the obligations we agreed with them.  Never. 

Thank you for the replies. We've been too innocent I guess. In a way we have enough source to sustain two homes in both Germany and the US. We didn't know it'd take a long time to apply for family reunion. He thought it would've been like a vacation.  We'll certainly discuss about him going back to Germany alone soon.

We got his freelancer visa in Germany because as a US citizen he could, and it's easier to find a flat, clients and set up every while you are actually there. I studied in Germany 3-4 years ago. I know my way there a bit better, so we kinda always do it like this: he takes care of things in the US, I take care of things in Germany. But again, we should be more aware. 

I've also extended my green card already while I am here.  

50 minutes ago, tracysg said:

He thought it would've been like a vacation.  We'll certainly discuss about him going back to Germany alone soon.

His visa might have become void already, it depends on the circumstances under which he left Germany. Engelchen has already asked the decisive questions: 

"What did he do with his apartment in Berlin?  What about his health insurance? Did he abmelden?"

He didn't abmelden. And our landlord actually just agreed to let us sign an unlimited contract (it was short term, but his relative cancelled the stay, so he is happy we take over). We thought we were be away just two months (we are naive ok) so we just paid to reserve the place. He's paying insurance as well.

LABO wrote back to us, we need to provide more documents in order for them to approve my visa. Deadline is 31/10. We are trying ask them what they want via email.  

I still think you need an re-entry visa. Check out the US requirements for leaving the US longer than one year. Be careful there.

5 minutes ago, Namu said:

I still think you need an re-entry visa. Check out the US requirements for leaving the US longer than one year. Be careful there.

I think it's shorter.  More like 6 months, and you lose your Green Card Status.  Given the political shit-show going on over there, it's probably not a big loss.  Probably best to focus on a more stable country instead. 

It's one year, I just checked. And my husband is very keen on flying back for certain holidays, even just for a short visit, so I am sure I won't leave for more than 1 year. He's a home boy. It's me who likes to wander in Europe.

Urm my in laws are actually Republican supporters. They feel I am alright even, because I am a "legal, hard working Asian". I know... I roll my eyes often. 

On 10/6/2018, 5:21:01, tracysg said:

Thank you for the replies. We've been too innocent I guess. In a way we have enough source to sustain two homes in both Germany and the US. We didn't know it'd take a long time to apply for family reunion. He thought it would've been like a vacation.  We'll certainly discuss about him going back to Germany alone soon.

We got his freelancer visa in Germany because as a US citizen he could, and it's easier to find a flat, clients and set up every while you are actually there. I studied in Germany 3-4 years ago. I know my way there a bit better, so we kinda always do it like this: he takes care of things in the US, I take care of things in Germany. But again, we should be more aware. 

I've also extended my green card already while I am here.  

Long wait times in LABO are unfortunately unavoidable. I believe it's much better in other cities.

We got his freelancer visa in Germany because as a US citizen he could

Honestly you should have researched a bit and probably applied together which would save time.

Also perhaps first looked for non-freelance work. The ABH is required to evaluate if you have enough income to live together and obviously it's much easier with a regular job compared to freelancing income. You mention that you studied in Germany, it could be that it would be easier to apply for a job search visa in your case.