Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Applying for a Masters in Germany

5 posts in this topic

Hi all! I had a question that I wanted to ask about applying for a Masters in Germany (specifically a Masters in Computer Science).

I am a Australian-Czech citizen with a double Bachelors in Economics-Computer Science from an Australian university, with

Honours in Economics. In Australia Honours is a separate degree from the main degree. Accordingly, there is no requirement

to complete an Honours degree to graduate. I was eligible to apply for Honours in Computer Science but I could not identify a

Professor who was suitable to supervise my project so I stuck to Honours in Economics.

Now I have been working for a few years and I have begun to enjoy programming more, and am particularly interested in blockchain

technology. I am coming to work in Zurich and I would like to work on a Masters part time while I am here, either in Switzerland or

on the German border. However, I do not know whether I would be eligible to be admitted to one of these courses without an Honours degree

in computer science (despite the fact that Germany and Switzerland are Bologna systems rather than the 3+1 system found in Australia).

Does anyone have any experience in this regard? Thank you.

All foreign credentials will -- in cases of doubt -- be sent to the Zentralstelle für ausländisches Bildungswesen in Bonn (you can look up Anabin yourself: https://anabin.kmk.org/anabin.html), where the German bureaucratic fairies will work their magic in determining how your qualifications stack up.

I once had an Australian colleague that, IIRC, had her Australian Masters degree counted as less than an equivalent German degree because she had not actually written a final Thesis as part of the degree. Fair enough, I think. This affected her paygrade for the job and she was paid at a lower level (still is) than others, and in fact had the degree counted as insufficient for the job in the first place. It was only a bit of protesting on the part of our boss that saved her.

Did you not write a final thesis? Do you mean you passed 3 years through the uni, and then that was that? If so, this will generally not be counted as equivalent to a 'full' Bachelor degree in, at least, Germany. YMMV. 

Depending on the program or the formalities of the uni, you may also require a DsH certificate (Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang) before you can study. Even though a lot of comp sci is de facto in English. You may be required to top up your education before being admitted. Only the uni you apply to has the final word.

For Switzerland, I do not know, but I'd venture a guess that it's probably even more finicky. Living/working in Switzerland while formally studying in Germany may be complicated, though is probably possible. Keep in mind there are tax and social security factors involved, and you would have to (want to) register as a 'Grenzgänger'. It sounds expensive and complicated from what I know of it. Without EU (Czech) citizenship, it would certainly be impossible.

Where in Germany would you "study"? Zurich to Konstanz is about an hour, and to Freiburg or Karlsruhe is probably too far... 

On ‎28‎.‎09‎.‎2018‎ ‎02‎:‎43‎:‎01, BlackMetalGoat said:

I am coming to work in Zurich and I would like to work on a Masters part time while I am here, either in Switzerland or

on the German border.

I would recommend working in Zurich and studying at the ETH Zurich.

54 minutes ago, alderhill said:

Zurich to Konstanz (is about an hour, and to Freiburg or Karlsruhe is probably too far... 

The train from Zurich to Konstanz is actually not a bad commute. On the other hand the ETH is much better than Uni Konstanz.

10 minutes ago, engelchen said:

I would recommend working in Zurich and studying at the ETH Zurich.

I would completely agree with that assuming suitable course and entry requirements and acessibility (e.g. fees) etc.  One of the world's best universities on your doorstep =  No great reason to even think of looking elsewhere, often. 

As others have mentioned whether or not your degrees is fully recognised will be a factor of whether you can study, and you'll also have the problem in the other direction if you go back to Australia. Although employers are less hung up on paperwork there, a degree from an institution they don't recognise will be regarded as lower quality than a local one. For all the talk of globalisation, it seems everyone is pretty parochial when it comes to qualifications and their assumed quality. 

The OP would have written a thesis as part of his honours year in Economics, so might have better chances enrolling in a Master of Wirtschaftsinformatik. 

How much German do you speak OP? The language requirements for university here seem more stringent than the English requirements for students in Australia. There are examples of DSH tests online so you can get a feel for the level you'll need (typically C1 with an emphasis on written communication).