Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Wanted: furnished room or apartment in Einbeck or Hannover

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am working in Einbeck. I am Canadian. I am looking for a furnished or partially furnished apartment or room in Hannover or Einbeck, preferably from Jan. 1

I am very quiet and I do not expect to be home much. 

Thank you. 

Yes, but I know some people at the company take the train to either Hannover or Einbeck and work on the train. I was assuming that I could spend the time on the train working or reading (and I tend not to have that much time to read, so I was looking forward to that). That said, I thought I better not sign a long term lease until I see how much I enjoy the long rides. 

I am skeptical about train schedules in the Hannover area while the Hbf and tracks nearby are undergoing repairs and rebuilds for the next few years. IME, the problems are more with the east-west trains to/from Berlin or Norddeich/Cologne, etc., but I wouldn't discount that those on the way to Göttingen either could be affected at some point.

You can certainly can get reading done or (as I did) podcasts in on the train commute, but after a while it really really drags. For 2 years, I had an 80 minute door-to-door commute into/out of Hannover, and after 6 months or so I really found it a loathsome chore. You can read or work a bit, sure, but you can't do much else. Also, do you really want to work on YOUR time? Legally, this will not count as work hours in the eyes of your employer. Maybe I'm a stickler, but as someone who gets overtime on my desk on a regular basis, I try to resist work outside my paid office-hours as much as possible.

As for furnished apartments, this is simply not the norm in Germany. Such apartments are mostly rented to foreigners, and landlords know that such tenants are often ignorant or naive of local laws and norms. Beware scams or being oversold mouldy urine-soaked junk for a prince's sum. You can be 100% certain that you will pay more than you should for any kind of furnished apartment, and that some of your deposit will disappear due to 'wear and tear' on the furniture, regardless of any actual wear and tear. Take photos of everything, at the beginning, just in case. In Einbeck itself, probably less to worry about though, as I doubt scammers are lying in wait in such a small place...

Could you work out carpooling with any colleagues? 

And what, may I ask, brings you to Einbeck? It's a picturesque little town with plenty of intact Fackwerk houses, and I think it is known for (if anything) beer, but what brings a Canadian (also Canadian here, btw) there for work? I think commuting is more realistic, as living there may be trying if you're from a more lively/international place...