Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

English books to give away

14 posts in this topic

Hi, I am preparing to return to Australia and need to find homes for my book collection.  Fiction and non-fiction on a variety of subjects.

Fiction - mostly historical novels by well known authors (eg Ken Follett) and Disc world books by Terry Pratchett.

Non-fiction - subjects: British Royal Family; Life in Victorian/Edwardian England; Nazi Era; WWll; Life in GDR + others.

The books are both hard cover and paper back, all bought new and handled only by myself so are in very good condition.

I have tried the library without luck and without a car it is difficult to drag them to Berlin or Hamburg but I am very reluctant to just throw them away.

If anyone is interested (or has any ideas what else I could do with the books) please drop me a line at anniellis@gmail.com for a complete list and/or to arrange to look.

Thanks,  Anni

First suggestion would be put them on eBay  - one auction for all.  A sofort-kauf for 1€ and they pay for posting.  That or contact Medimops and see if they'll accept donated books.

I gave some of mine to a school library.  They were happy to have them.  

Maybe you could also try some charitable organisations.  A lot of refugees speak English and might be happy to have books to read

You local public library might take them to use at a book sale, same with any church library too. The local charity shop has a single shelf of books in English. I love stopping by now and then to see if some title grabs me. I donate my used English books there and take back English books I bought for re-sale too!

Whenever I go to Frankfurt, I put my read books in the little glass bookcase that's in Merianneplatz.  You may ask around if there is one in your town.

I wish I was closer, I'd love the Terry Pratchett books.

Yes, we have lots of public bookdrops,  stopped at one earlier.   The waiting room of my Berlin Ordnungamt also has one.    Foreign is perfectly OK.   "Nazi-era" content should be considered carefully in any context.

When I ran a charity group, we were quite selective - exactly like that library - because most books really have little hand-on value.    We'd long since acquired an excess of largely long forgotten 70s bodice-ripper types that just gathered dust.   (The bookdrop I went to earlier has that).  A harsh truth but many books should be considered disposable.  Should just be binned.  At least ebay etc would find an interested party.

41 minutes ago, rodisi said:

I wish I was closer, I'd love the Terry Pratchett books.

- not sure if the OP would be willing to post them to you, but who knows?

On 20/09/2018, 20:29:19, robinson100 said:

- not sure if the OP would be willing to post them to you, but who knows?

I'd pay for the postage.

5 hours ago, rodisi said:

I'd pay for the postage.

- I believe the OP said to send her an email - why not give it a try?

On 23/09/2018, 16:21:56, robinson100 said:

- I believe the OP said to send her an email - why not give it a try?

Email address not working - das ist das leben.

On ‎25‎/‎09‎/‎2018‎ ‎11‎:‎28‎:‎08, rodisi said:

Email address not working - das ist das leben.

Hi. no idea why not but as you say...  Here is my alt address

anniellis@kabelmail.de

I would be happy to post the books.  There are 12 Terry Pratchetts but as you may not want all I will list titles.

Night Watch; Making Money; Monstrous Regiment; Snuff; Thief of Time; Small Gods; Mort; Interesting Times; Reaper Man; Lords and Ladies; Jingo; Unseen Academicals.

I have no idea how much postage would be.

Anni