Buying an old apartment vs new apartment

29 posts in this topic

Electric floor heating, never heard of that before, even electric heating, Sure you don't mean underfloor hearing? 

Langen is a fabulous place to live, perfect combination of small/big city, close to everything. Plus there is an English Stammtisch each there. 

Will have a few more thoughts when I get home. 

17 minutes ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

Electric floor heating, never heard of that before, even electric heating, Sure you don't mean underfloor hearing? 

I am surprised you haven't heard of it. When I first moved to Frankfurt I considered buying a flat with electric floor heating. I didn't because I was worried about the cost. One house I lived at had floor electric heating, but only in the bathrooms. Also, see my post above: a friend of mine has it all over his house.

On 9/19/2018, 12:38:38, suharama said:

Hi Everyone,

I saw few similar topics, but I am not that much convinced, since I have to invest a lot of money. 

I saw 1975 built 4 room apartment (95 mt sq), which is around 15 km to Frankfurt hbf in s bahn and it would cost around 230,000 euros and I found another neubau 3 room apartment which is also almost same distance 75sq mt which cost around 300, 000 euros. 

I have the following doubt;

* How long the apartment stays ?  I will live in that apartment around 3 yrs max and rent it for another 10 to 15 yrs and want to          sell it. Old apartment is renovated completly, floor, heating , water pipes are insulated and Interior insulation of the outer                walls. 

* Does the old apartment value decrease a lot ? 

* Which would be a better option ?

* What else I need to check ?

A few general thoughts on buying a place

• ask for  previous years or Protokoll. This will give you an overview of issues and problems
  • ask for previous years Betriebskosten, this will let you know what it's going to cost you each year to live there
  • Fernheizung - honestly would never have thought of this one had not one of our units needed a new furnace. Based on our tenants usage I'd say it's cheaper as well, but not 100% on that one
  • Rolladen - this will help keep the cold out during the winter, can't believe what a difference it made on our place

Also if budget is in the 300,000€ I'd look at new. There is a ton of new building going on and there you'll get not only a new building warranty but a parking.

spot. if you're interested I wrote a short free book (plus a paid one) on German property

Whats the difference between the 2 books? ( Apart from price)

Is the second one updated with all the stuff that you have gathered from TT?

Just wonderin...

58 minutes ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

Also if budget is in the 300,000€ I'd look at new. There is a ton of new building going on and there you'll get not only a new building warranty but a parking.

spot. 

I agree on choice.  I think parking has changed a bit.  Mainly that is due to cost of land but it can also be hidden behind "eco" concern.   Last block I bought in has 15 for about 80 properties and it was sold on being "green".  We do though have 200 bike rails and two bike rooms :).  Also only outdoor spots.  Another change.   Underground is increasingly another casualty of price and changed times.  That build has none. (You sign a waiver of cellar space etc in the contract). 

And of course they are an add-on to list price.   Probably at least 10k these days.  Much more in popular locales.   They were 15k in that above place (a cheap locale with plentiful free street parking).   My subjective view of the locale discussed here is it might be cheaper end, it does not seem to be the busiest place traffic-wise.

One reason I think I have given up the idea of moving my main home is I could not find as good a spec generally (location, scale, build, interiors, communal and exterior add-ons, whatever really).  There's one or two minor exceptions I observe in the new place (such as Fernheizung) but a lot of stuff we got (very cheap) a decade ago when nobody wanted to buy has gone now.

On 22/09/2018, 10:40:13, SpiderPig said:

Whats the difference between the 2 books? ( Apart from price)

Is the second one updated with all the stuff that you have gathered from TT?

Just wonderin...

The first one is  a reader magnet a freebie used to establish your credentials. It's a ususful tool to build your email list as well. The second book and tools I drew from a ton of different  sources, some here, some German sources as well as my own experiences. There's a ton of good information here but it can be hard to find at times. 

10 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

I thought TT had rules against shilling, oder?

I don't think that includes long standing members with wares to sell. You know, things like books, leather belts, tv systems, etc.

I am fully qualified as an Electrician in the UK and have over 30yrs experience in supplying quallity TV systems to my clients.... 

I doubt that THM is quallified in anything in Germany...    but I stand to be corrected!