Lists of typical German mistakes in English?

147 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, HEM said:

What gets me is that so many write "standart" instead of "standard" - as if it has to do with Kunst...

That's a classic mistake in German too and a standard (sorry) choice of teachers in spelling tests. Along with Temparatur instead of Temperatur, Reperatur - correct Reparatur, nähmlich (nämlich).

Germans also love saying “ and and and “ ( because of the German tendency to say “ und und und.)

On 5/15/2019, 7:22:46, Krieg said:

half the country pronounce 'handy' (mobile phone) as 'hAndy' and the other half as 'hEndy'.

@Krieg , out of interest, where is the half that pronounce it hAndy rather than hEndy?. It certainly isn't anywhere near the Eifel!

About 30 years ago, I had a driver named Uwe.  Uwe was a carpenter by trade, but the government hired him to drive and he drove for me on about two years.  His English was ok, at best.  The one phrase he would say all the time that made me laugh and I never bothered to correct was, 'what makes you?'.  He would ring me, say Hi and what makes you.  to this day it still makes me laugh.  :lol::lol:

Ah Bayrisch— you remind me.. when I was 18, I got a job in a varnish factory in Bonn and I made friends with Mike who had a British father and German mother and was bilingual - Brummie accent in English and Kölsch in German!

We always spoke English as I was adapting to being in Germany (I had studied German at school and was good at it - written and reading skills - yep - but no speaking practice.)

The German foreman was ok but not particularly friendly and Mike reckoned he understood English but never spoke it.

One day, we were together and the foreman said something to me- dunno what.

Mike said to me in English: „ watch out what you say- he understands English.“

The foreman heard it , looked at me and said: „ your wife is right.“

I‘ll never forget that!😂

This happened a few years ago but it just came back into my mind..

I was working with a start up coach on her presentation for a huge conference of entrepreneurs. everything was going great. We were about to finish and she said 'great we're done...thanks...blah blah blah.'  luckily i happened to click through to the last slide just for the hell of it. I sai,'um...we still have a little work to do...''

Her last slide said "Be Pathetic" ...which if you translate directly from  German.... haha...

On 4/24/2019, 11:46:39, bramble said:

What I meant was that valley becomes "w"alley or Vancouver become "W"ancouver etc. 

Walley was insisted upon by @sarabyrd's 5th & 6th Klasse English teacher, along with piarno [sic].