Only now applying for German citizenship - am I too late?

75 posts in this topic

Swimmer, You are right about him being ex-military. However, he had his 79th birthday in August and left the army at the age of 24. He has, however, been here in Germany all this time. 

I hope things are going well for you. The place didn't seem the same without you. Just a lot of squabbling and I stopped visiting regularly.

Yes.   I think that treatment is logical and what you would expect to be told.   Highly unfortunate but logical, including for reasons of equalities with other foreigners.   It is understandable that populaces generally who chose to be non-resident and thus not participate fully in their locales are not entitled to local benefits.  Not being entitled to local citizenship is just another logical consequence of their choice to be non-resident.  No cherrypicking.   But the post WWII military were here for a policy / state reason.  (And that old canard "paying tax" is not a requirement for citizenship or practically any resident entitlement anyway). 

Those who have acquired residency in other way - such as those that did form families and / or end up in what is standard civilian residency - will be able to get it just the same of the rest of us.

I am not sure the point about "EU law above SOFA" is relevant, more likely a false assumption.   We still have to have resided formally and properly here for 8 years (normally) to obtain citizenship and many people posted here simply did not do that.   Those people saying they are getting citizenship "under EU law" probably simply somehow have done proper residency - when reentering civilian life, forming a family etc.  I personally would doubt they are being gifted a favour or made an exception.

It is not too late - here, at least. At our latest interview yesterday the lady said she is still being called by people wanting to Einbürger, preferably before March...and they are still trying to make it happen.

This just posted on one of the other threads.  https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/faqs/EN/themen/migration/brexit/faqs-brexit.html

Get in your application now, don't worry if any pieces are missing just start the process !!

Will anything change for naturalization candidates?

In the event of an orderly Brexit, the Federal Government’s Brexit transition act lays down transitional provisions for British and German naturalization candidates who apply for naturalization in Germany or the UK before the end of the transition period (i.e. before 31 December 2020). They are to be allowed to keep their prior British or German citizenship even if the decision on their naturalization is issued after the end of the transition period and provided that all other naturalization requirements are met before the end of the transition period.

In the event of a disorderly Brexit, a similar rule will be put in place for naturalization candidates who apply before the date of the UK leaving the European Union (i.e. before 29 March 2019). You will find individual details in the draft of the "Act on Transition Provisions on Labour, Education, Health and Social Affairs, and Citizenship" (german) on the website of the Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs.

Old topic - but I'm starting my application now! Pretty late, I'm super disorganised, but theoretically will still get dual citizenship... Now just need to get a B1 exam, handwritten Lebenslauf (srsly?), and the other mountain of paperwork in order ;) 

Good luck, provided you are able to submit the forms before the end of the year you should be able to get dual nationality.

20 hours ago, ratb3rt said:

Old topic - but I'm starting my application now! Pretty late, I'm super disorganised, but theoretically will still get dual citizenship... Now just need to get a B1 exam, handwritten Lebenslauf (srsly?), and the other mountain of paperwork in order ;) 

Bloody hurry! Have you got a date for the B1 exam already? And have you taken into account that you have to wait for the results?

Good luck!

Thought I'd update before the terminal day - exams passed, paperwork accepted :) they estimated 10 months before I can have my Kartoffelparty!

Bit of advice for anyone else - the immigration language test is insanely easier than a full telc exam, and 25€ instead of 150+

On 31/12/2020, 10:11:29, ratb3rt said:

Thought I'd update before the terminal day - exams passed, paperwork accepted :) they estimated 10 months before I can have my Kartoffelparty!

Bit of advice for anyone else - the immigration language test is insanely easier than a full telc exam, and 25€ instead of 150+

Congratulations. It will be worth all the bother when you get it.

On 12/31/2020, 10:11:29, ratb3rt said:

Which immigration test? I thought they just accepted Telc or Goethe?

35 minutes ago, Narjiz said:

Which immigration test? I thought they just accepted Telc or Goethe?

I think they mean the telc Test fuer Zuwanderer which is lighter than the telc B1 test. It's not lighter by much IMO, but it is lighter because they have been told to pass people who are functional with their writing of the TfZ, whereas the actual B1 free writing portion has grammar minimums that fail you right away.