Certified copy of German passport for U.S. IRS - how?

13 posts in this topic

I need to renew a German citizen's U.S. individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN).  The current U.S. requirements mean the W7 form has to be submitted with either original or certified copies of identification confirming the foreign citizen's identity and foreignness.  e.g., a passport.  But it can't be a copy certified by a Notar.  The copy needs to be certified as a copy by the issuing agency. 

Does anyone have experience doing this?  Handy tips as to who/what/where?

have you contacted the german passport office? since they issued it...I would guess they would be your first point of contact.  

10 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

have you contacted the german passport office? 

No I have not.  Yes, I thought of that.  But I thought I would reach out to TT community for hands on experience.  Someone else must have submitted a W7 for a German citizen already. 

IRS said a German Notar and the U.S. consular services wouldn't be okay, though the form W7 instructions suggest to me the IRS ought to accept a U.S. consular copy.  But you know, getting a U.S. consular copy is a pain in the ass.  The Berlin ACS is only open for the service 5 hours a week, and it's in Berlin, and it's not in central Berlin, and has all the security hang ups about cell phones and drops of water, etc.  So it may be easier to get it from the Germans -- but has anyone dealt with this and what did they learn that can help the rest of us?

Germany issued your german passport so if it has to be certified by the issuing agency, I don't understand why you would try to get anything from the US consulate.

good luck

FrauFruit and Lisa13, thank you for taking the time to read and reply. 

I have read the IRS instructions and I have spoken with an IRS Service Center representative.  The IRS is of no help with logistical realities of how to obtain something from a German government office.  Also, the IRS representative gave me information which I consider conflicts with the W7's instructions.  Namely, the instructions imply a consulate certified copy would be okay while the representative said no.  Regardless, I am interested in learning what my fellow Americans may know about certifying a German passport from a German Amt, because I anticipate that will be easier than a U.S. consulate certified copy. 

Does anyone have experience obtaining a certified copy of a German passport for the purposes of IRS form W7? 

Despite being excluded by the OP's condition limiting their request for knowledge to their fellow Americans, to say nothing of the fact that both the IRS and their W7 form are uncharted territory for me, I am going to pitch in here because the basic issue seems to be a matter of everyday routine at least as far as TT inquiries go.

There are regulated procedures in place to obtain an officialy certified copy of any document in Germany.

In some limited cases, such as family status documents (birth, marriage, death certificates, etc.) or extracts from the land registry then only the specific authority (Standesamt bzw. Katasteramt) may certify copies of such documents they would normally issue.

As @lisa13 suggested that may also be the case wrt a Deutsche Reispaß too.

However, IMHO, the logical thing to do would be to first try taking the course of least resistance by visiting the local Bürgerburo or Rathaus during public business hours whilst bearing the original passport, copies of the relevant pages to be certified, 5 - 10 € or so for the fee and then request whoever is delegated the responsibility to provide an Amtliche Beglaubigt Kopie of the German passport in question.

It may be neccessary to make an appointment although, since it is not one of the activities with high traffic for which their system demands regulated time management, I would be tempted to take a chance and just rock up with a friendly smile of anticipation and the expectation that the official would be pleased to have sth non-routine and easy to do for a change. 

Amtliche Beglaubigung

Bürger­ämter oder Rathäuser stellen meist eine Beglaubigung aus, wenn Ihnen eine deutsche Behörde das Originaldokument ausgestellt hat oder Sie eine Kopie zur Vorlage bei einer deutschen Behörde brauchen. Machen Sie einen Termin und nehmen Sie Original und Kopie mit. In der Regel ist es güns­tiger, das Dokument selbst zu kopieren. Die Beglaubigung kostet zwischen 5 und 10 Euro. Manche Abschriften kann nur die Behörde beglaubigen, die das Original ausgestellt hat. Dazu gehören zum Beispiel Personen­stands­urkunden, die Sie beim zuständigen Standes­amt vorlegen müssen, oder Auszüge aus dem Grund­buch.

^^Quelle: Stiftungs Warentest (article from June 2017)

HTH

2B

Update:  since the issuing authority printed on the passport is the city (not the Aussenministerium), I went to a Burgerbuero and got a certified copy -- which consists of a photocopy with a rubber stamp of the city's seal, signature of the guy at the counter that did it, and another rubber stamp that says in German it is a certified copy.   I'll return with an update after I learn how the IRS reacts.

On 9/16/2018, 12:16:58, 2B_orNot2B said:

Despite ... the fact that both the IRS and their W7 form are uncharted territory for me

the logical thing to do would be to ... visiting the local Bürgerburo or Rathaus ... and then request whoever is delegated the responsibility to provide an Amtliche Beglaubigt Kopie of the German passport in question.

Update: 2B_orNot2B's instinct was correct.  The IRS accepted a beglaubigte Kopie of the German passport from the city's Burgerbüro and renewed the subject ITIN. 

I can confirm that going to the issuing authority and getting a certified copy from there is what the IRS will accept, both for applying for a new ITIN and for renewing one. We've applied for new ones several thousand times and renewed approximately 10,000 this way (I work for a tax and accounting firm in a team that specializes in filing 1040NR returns for German investors). 

On 11/20/2018, 10:07:19, DoubleDTown said:

Update: 2B_orNot2B's instinct was correct.  The IRS accepted a beglaubigte Kopie of the German passport from the city's Burgerbüro and renewed the subject ITIN. 

@DwayneAufRäder   @DoubleDTown  I am looking at  beglaubigte Kopie of the German passport  -whereby the passport #  and "zugangsnummer"  is blacked out by the Bezirksamt. Also the Bezirksamt   certification is an inked stamp  - not an embossed "raised" stamp as required by the IRS.

Are you saying the IRS will accept this for ITIN purposes?