Replace recently issued USA license

6 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I have a USA driver's license (WA state) that's issued after I moved to Germany. (Moved in March, license issued in May) I basically lost my driver's license and requested another one w/o thinking too much of it. 

I tried to change it with a German one and submitted my driving record as a proof that I had the license since 2005. They asked me to prove that the driver's license was reissued only because I lost it and it was never suspended. I've emailed DMV and they say they can only give me my record which is simply clean. But it doesn't explicitly say it was never suspended or anything like that.

Does anyone have an idea how I can go about this?

Thanks

I made a sworn statement that I had been driving for 40 some years when I presented a relatively new Texas license. Himself signed it as well. He had a lawyer friend create it and it worked.

10 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I made a sworn statement that I had been driving for 40 some years when I presented a relatively new Texas license. Himself signed it as well. He had a lawyer friend create it and it worked.

I never thought this could work in Germany 😲 Thanks for the help. I'll give it a try.

For future reference: I simply went to license office again with simply more documents (printouts from WA state DMV that says history would only show something that's negative and email exchange I had with DMV that said we cannot give you any other document other than the one you can get from the web site) and the person didn't ask any questions and simply agreed to give me a German one as a replacement.. I think it matters to _look_ prepared with a lot of documents, otherwise they definitely challenge you.

If it really was a reissue of a lost license, WA should be able to verify that in a letter.  If you renewed it after moving to Germany that is technically not allowed for the purposes of reciprocity.  Some offices apparently ignore it but it looks like yours is following the rules.  In my case my US license was renewed 2 months prior to my moving but they still required that I show them the previous license (fortunately I had it).

On 9/12/2018, 9:52:44, yufufi said:

Hi All,

I have a USA driver's license (WA state) that's issued after I moved to Germany. (Moved in March, license issued in May) I basically lost my driver's license and requested another one w/o thinking too much of it. 

I tried to change it with a German one and submitted my driving record as a proof that I had the license since 2005. They asked me to prove that the driver's license was reissued only because I lost it and it was never suspended. I've emailed DMV and they say they can only give me my record which is simply clean. But it doesn't explicitly say it was never suspended or anything like that.

Does anyone have an idea how I can go about this?

Thanks

You ask for your entire driving record from the state. I had to do it.