Good Grundschule near Neustadt??

8 posts in this topic

Hi all,

We have recently moved to the Pfalz from Heidelberg. Various reasons, but mostly because we couldn't find suitable accommodation. Our two daughters, 7 and 9, are still in a bilingual school in Heidelberg but we would like to move them to a local school. We've been in Germany for about a year and a half. They couldn't speak any German when we arrived but they have learnt fast and their German is ok, but obviously not nearly at native speaker level.

Can anyone recommend a good Grundschule in the area? Preferably one where the teachers are sympathetic and where they will be taught in Hochdeutsch? 

We will be here long term and they have German citizenship, so we would like them to integrate fully. Besides, we cannot afford the International School fees! 

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance! 

I don't believe that you have a choice of which school they attend, it is based on the catchment area.

I suggest that you speak to the local authorities.

Hi everyone, I just wanted to update this in case other people face a similar situation. We decided to put both our kids in the local Grundschule.

It was a good decision. The school isn’t perfect, and it has been challenging in terms of the language gap, but both our kiddos are happy and thriving. They’ve made local friends and feel a sense of belonging. They still find it frustrating at times because they are bright but still get average marks, purely because of the fact that they are not yet on a native-speaker level. They are improving all the time. It has taken a lot of effort and time from us to help them with homework etc, but it is getting less intense over time, especially since their German is now getting better than mine! I hope it helps others who are also considering German schools vs international.

We are here for a good while so integration was an important consideration. The standard of education is good. Teachers vary in their attitudes, but overall are helpful. Also, our kids are young, they were 7 and 9 at the time. I think older kids may find it much harder. Our oldest moved over to the Realschule this year, where she is doing well. The Gymnasium level education in German would just have been to much for her to cope with. We may move her over if she wants to in a year or two, but honestly, we are very happy with the Realschule at the moment.

The thing to remember is that the education system here is very structured, yet flexible. It is possible to “change lanes” further down the line depending on your child’s specific circumstances.