Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

When I'm looking for good programmers in Berlin.. I have no chance of finding any.

17 posts in this topic

I have the impression, that she is a little bit arrogant.

I would not like to work for her.

Concerning good programmers, "You get what you pay for"

I think good programmers tend to go to Munich, Frankfurt etc.

Berlin is a town for game boys.

She's lying. I looked her company up, she doesn't have any job openings posted for developers. Neither on her company page nor anywhere else on the web.

It's usually no problem to find web developers in Berlin as long as you're not running after the latest hyped technologies. Finding someone with 3+ years in PHP, MySQL, JS, CSS is not a problem. Finding someone with experience in Symfony, Mongo, Vagrant, Docker, ReactJS, Design Patterns, Clean Coding etc. is of course a lot harder. Still not a problem if employers were willing to pay for those skills.

22 minutes ago, Illic said:

It's usually no problem to find web developers in Berlin as long as you're not running after the latest hyped technologies. Finding someone with 3+ years in PHP, MySQL, JS, CSS is not a problem.

Those are code monkeys, not real programmers :D

But seriously, even in Munich is hard to find good programmers. Worst, it is hard to find programmers who are engineers (not by title, but by natural skill).

I'm very glad that she's successful and providing jobs / opportunities but:

"How do you find good employees? That seems to be quite difficult these days?

It is super difficult. And I have to honestly say that I just trained most of them myself."

This is the kind of person that I'd never work for (again).  Their ability to be good at all things from wooing investors to training sales and other staff is just a distraction ( and a delusion) for the company - hire right, get good people behind you and let them do their jobs and focus on growing the company.

43 minutes ago, chooyo said:

This is the kind of person that I'd never work for (again).  Their ability to be good at all things from wooing investors to training sales and other staff is just a distraction ( and a delusion) for the company - hire right, get good people behind you and let them do their jobs and focus on growing the company.

totally!

in addition, in my experience those who say it's sooooo hard to find good employees don't know the first thing about interviewing candidates.  I can't say the good ones are "easy" to find, but they are out there. 

I also have to wonder how much of the problem is that genuinely good programmers (or other roles) don't want to work for her company?

14 hours ago, lisa13 said:

I also have to wonder how much of the problem is that genuinely good programmers (or other roles) don't want to work for her company?

How do you find good employers? :)

That's the other side of the coin. I have a project in the Stuttgart area at the moment and the employer is throwing out loads of money for externals while frantically looking for employees directly, wondering why they can't find any. Their problem is that they are expecting too much for too little. A part of it anyway 

21 hours ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

I think good programmers tend to go to Munich, Frankfurt etc.

Berlin is a town for game boys.

Berlin market for C++ in embedded devices is pretty strong.  

The lady from the article probably can't find good programmers because she pay badly or her project is not attractive to real programmers.

Looking at this company on Linkedin, then the only developers (current and past) I can see are either PHP or Front end developers.

And to be honest I could not find many (although of course that might be limited to my network, as I am not a paid member).

The piper calls the tune.  You can disparage her if you wish, but she's the one in the success article.  The "training" she mentions might be attitude more than coding.

yeah well I didn't hear any tune here - no one knows what the heck she's talking about with any of it.  Training might be "attitude" training or potty training, for all we know. 

The whole thing was just a few vague soundbytes that offer no usable information whatsoever.  THAT's what I'm disparaging. 

8 minutes ago, catjones said:

The piper calls the tune.  You can disparage her if you wish, but she's the one in the success article.  The "training" she mentions might be attitude more than coding.

Actually, I like that fact that she does train people.  And besides, peoples always need to be 'trained' in the company culture and ways of working.

I think too often companies these days try to find people with the exact skills rather than seeing if anybody internally would like to do the task and training them in the technology to be able to perform it.

If she is producing something useful or enjoying success with her company, then great for her. 

I haven't figured out what her company does and why it would survive the next recession or a major dry spell in funding.    That is true for most of the startups i have heard about in Berlin though.    Blog advertising doesn't seem like an area for massive growth, BWDIK.   

He was happy to accept that. It's just a fact that having an office in London or New York is incredibly expensive. And thankfully, since our business is digital a lot of it can happen via e-mail, on the phone or over Skype.

Absurd. Offices in the major business hubs are not vanity. Networking, presence, and communications are important.

On 9/12/2018, 8:31:14, lisa13 said:

no one knows what the heck she's talking about with any of it.  Training might be "attitude" training or potty training, for all we know. 

I rest my case..

On 9/12/2018, 6:23:53, sorcerers_apprentice said:

If she is producing something useful or enjoying success with her company, then great for her. 

I haven't figured out what her company does and why it would survive the next recession or a major dry spell in funding.    That is true for most of the startups i have heard about in Berlin though.    Blog advertising doesn't seem like an area for massive growth, BWDIK.   

She runs an influencer agency or something like that.   For example you are a watch company, you have a new line you want to move in a certain segment of people, you hire her and she finds you the appropriate influencers to move your brand.   There is a big market for this in Instagram at the moment, the influencer won't blatantly post about your watch, it will be a picture where the person is wearing the watch and a hashtag, very subtle except the hashtag, but the watch is not the most important thing in the picture, it has to look casual.   You do not need to be a big influencer, as long as you have a couple of thousand followers and the profile is the correct one you can charge a couple of hundred for your picture.  

What confused me is that she mentioned Bloggers, Blogs are pretty much dead.