Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Game - Wild meat restaurants

15 posts in this topic

Hi all, I am currently living in Mannheim and I am looking for places to eat cooked game - wild meat or at least to buy it and to cook it myself.

Some examples: Wild Boar, Antelope, Moose, Elk, Deer, Pronghorn, Bison, Alligator, Kangaroo, Wild hare - Jackrabbit, Squirrel, Mountain Sheep, Black Bear, Mountain lion.

Believe it or not, I have stopped eating conventional meat, and I prefer the game. Especially, for its taste and my health.

Do you know good restaurants? Also, is there maybe a hunting community in Mannheim to join?

Googling does not help me much and it focuses 99% just on deer.

Thanks in advance.

Here, I used to be in touch with someone at the Forstamt, and had access to deer and wild boar. Presumably making contact with your local Forstamt would be a start.

We have a local Asian restaurant, one of those buffet ones and on evenings they have a 'Mongolian' set-up .... collect the raw food and then the chef cooks it for you. I think it's a chain (Asien Perle in this case), quality and prices are good and they often have an unusual choice of meats.

Otherwise in a few weeks all German restaurants should be offering the "Wild Karte" game menu alongside their normal one.

What you are looking for is probably the "Jagd Verein":

https://www.jv-ma.de/

(in German only)

They have a link https://www.wild-auf-wild.de/

where if you type in your postcode (I used the palace) it finds

https://www.wild-auf-wild.de/wildbretsuche?field_geofield_distance%5Bdistance%5D=100&field_geofield_distance%5Bunit%5D=6371&field_geofield_distance%5Borigin%5D=68161+Deutschland

for people/businesses who offer game for sale.

16 minutes ago, Malt-Teaser said:

Otherwise in a few weeks all German restaurants should be offering the "Wild Karte" game menu alongside their normal one.

Seasonal game should also be found soon on farmers markets and also Xmas markets. 

Some market traders may also sell wild rabbit / hare on the side. Good contacts with the local Jagd Verein should give you an opening with such word of mouth suppliers.

On 10/09/2018, 16:08:38, nwogeorge said:

Some examples: Wild Boar, Antelope, Moose, Elk, Deer, Pronghorn, Bison, Alligator, Kangaroo, Wild hare - Jackrabbit, Squirrel, Mountain Sheep, Black Bear, Mountain lion.

Wild Boar or Deer you can buy at any better supermarket - Rewe, Edeka, Marktkauf etc - in particular during the season (which starts around now), otherwise refrigerated as usual. Other exotic meat only as occasional gimmicks, which is mostly elk, kangaroo, alligator, bison, buffalo. If you have access to Metro (B2B) they of course also sell the bison and buffalo that you can find in restaurants around here.

For any of the others you'll basically have to search online shops that deliver, of which there are actually plenty. Google for something like "exotisches Fleisch" - not "Wildfleisch", which is only boar and deer by default. Don't think you'll find any mountain lion outside the US though. For the Australian range - kangaroo, alligator etc - i think there's a vendor somewhere regionally, usually advertises and sells at Maimarkt every year...

I don't think the stuff they sell in markets is really wild.  meaning it's been farmed just as other animals are. 

so depending on why the OP wants to eat it, these may not fit the bill.

Wikipedia claims that out of game on the German meat market:

- 57% is from hunted game in Germany

- 3% is from farmed game in Germany

- 40% is imported from Eastern Europe or New Zealand (NZ is farmed animals only)

Depends heavily on the game though. Wild boar is barely farmed at all in Germany due to oversupply and thus low prices from hunting, Reh isn't be farmed due to extreme space requirements.

With the above 3% on the market Germany also accounts for nearly one quarter of all farmed game in the European Union. Basically, unless it says New Zealand on the sticker there's a 90-95% propability it's hunted game.

29 minutes ago, kato said:

New Zealand (NZ is farmed animals only)

right - that's what I see in the markets that carry venison (so far) - it's labeled as farmed.  I have not seen wild boar in a market yet so no idea.

butchers, sure I think it's really wild, but not in normal markets.

On 9/10/2018, 4:37:28, Malt-Teaser said:

We have a local Asian restaurant, one of those buffet ones and on evenings they have a 'Mongolian' set-up ... collect the raw food and then the chef cooks it for you. I think it's a chain (Asien Perle in this case), quality and prices are good and they often have an unusual choice of meats.

I am not sure if you're joking with this suggestion, but in any case, everything there will be from farmed sources. Ostrich, crocodile, etc. is all farmed. Nothing to do with Mongolia or even China or anywhere east of the Urals for that matter...

NZ deer is usually red deer or (North American) elk aka wapiti, and they are invasive species. But what you buy is still the farmed NZ stuff, not wild (which in NZ they are very happy if you shoot due to the damage deer do). And ironically, buying the farmed stuff puts no dent in the invasive wild stock... 

Anyway, at my local Wochenmarkt (another neck of the woods), they have a stall that sells actually wild local meats, deer and boar, a few times I've seen pheasant legs/breasts. Mostly it's in the form of sausages and a couple other cured meats.  I believe the seller even shoots some himself and definitely does the butchering/dressing himself. I never asked, but I'm sure cuts of fresh meat could be procured.YMMV, but worth checking out your local markets for similar.

Did I say it's from Mongolia?

Of course it'll be farmed.

It's what they call Mongolian cuisine or cooking-style, even if that's not quite true either, but that's what they call it and it's rather nice and offers a possible answer to the OP's question.

Bloody 'ell.

4 hours ago, Malt-Teaser said:

Did I say it's from Mongolia?

I didn't say you did, did I? Calm your tits, I'm just replying in general to say it's a gimmick. Actually with Taiwanese origins... 

Anyway, it's not as if one should expect to find even half-authentic Asian restaurants in Germany in the first place...!