"Very cold country" - Expats don't feel welcome in Germany

165 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, john g. said:

Most understood language...I know what you are saying..but (I´m a native English speaker and from England ) there´s a guy on  a campsite in our area and he´s from Manchester ( England ) and I can hardly understand him!

:lol::lol:

Reminds me of this classic encounter...

11 hours ago, john g. said:

there´s a guy on  a campsite in our area and he´s from Manchester ( England ) and I can hardly understand him!

Must be from the North side of Manchester (Olham etc.)?

I grew up on the South side (just inside Cheshire, went to senior school in Stockport).

My father was a member of staff at Manchester University for many years until his retirement.  Actually he came from Oldham but the strong accent had gone.

The global IT manufacturer for whom I last worked had its North-West UK office in Sale (I was often there to help out with training).

One guy in that office - Mike - had a very strong Northen Maanchester accent.  I had to concentrate to understand him.

Several times Mike (an expert in certain tech matters) was invited to attend a meeting/workshop in our Dusseldorf office - my German colleagues used to ask me to come along as well in order to "translate" Mike into clearer English so that they could understand...

Ok, here's a map about the various accents in Manchester and some more info about the differences. I don't personally know any of them so I went to my favorite source, You Tube's Accent Tag Challenge to try and get a comparison by sound. Here is what I found, @HEM please correct me if I got it wrong. 

North: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzpvU4PBCv8

South: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5KVn6cfNUo

44 minutes ago, cybil said:

The "North" covers a lot of areas & so does "South".

The "South accent" was certainly more understandable to me (I'd also claim I don't have a strong accent - that statement is backed up by others).

My ex-colleague Mike had a much stronger accent than the "North" guy.

On 3/19/2019, 11:33:53, john_b said:

Reminds me of this classic encounter...

Absolute classic and shame the new series is nowhere near as good.