Diesel cars banned in Frankfurt

462 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

I won't deny that Tesla's technology is the best at the moment in the e-car industry.  My problem is basically a budget problem.   I have never in my life bought a brand new car because I think it is a very bad business decision, if you buy a 1 year old car you can save up to 1/4 of the price of the car.   And I think spending more than 20K on a car is outrageous, to me cars are tools to bring you from point A to point B in a convenient way, not social status, or anything else.  I like nice cars only because of the feeling of driving nice cars.   So since the used market of the e-cars is pretty much in diapers and they seem to retain the price like Apple products the whole thing is a game changer.   I am still not willing to pay for a car what I could use to buy a small apartment and make some money out of it.    So that's why I've been following cheaper alternatives and waiting until they check all my boxes.

10 Greenies from me!

1 hour ago, keith2011 said:

Have you considered other forms of travel rather than taking your car back to the UK? You can get fast trains (ICE & Eurostar) from Munich to St Pancras for as little as €69 per person each way and possibly cheaper from stations further north, I would think that would be quicker than the car and ferry and you could always rent a car in the UK with the advantage of having the steering wheel on the correct side!

We do also fly back, and then rent a car, normally at least once a year.

But we always drive back in December, then we can pick up presents from the family for us, and so we need a car then because of the luggage space.  If we go back in summer then we also often drive, but sometimes fly.

I have never been able to find good deals on trains when I looked in the past, but that anyway would not work for us now.  Our daughter is too young to go through the hassle, and we would have to change too often.  For us it would mean:

Drive (min) 30 minutes to nearest ICE station, pay for parking (good luck getting a space!).  Catch train, change in Koeln, change in Brussels, Change in London to tube and then back to overground at Liverpool street and then another 1.5 hours on the train from there, and then a 10min walk on the other side.   With a small child and luggage it would be a nightmare!  Plus we then have no flexibility to get around on the other side, and where my parents live then there are limited options.

If DB do finally introduce the direct London -> Frankfurt train they have been talking about for 10 years, then it might be more feasible in the future.

If I was single and the price was right I would consider it more.

3 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

I thought batteries were better when they were hot? 

Yes, until a certain temperature. And chargin actually heats them up, so you can´t charge fast if they are hot.

I understand what you are saying, and in a lot of cases this is true.  But when we go back to the UK because we have a ferry/eurotunnel to catch then actually we don't stop for anywhere near this long.  We stop twice for toilet break and to swap driver and we take our own food.  So we would have to plan at extra 1.5 - 2 hours for charging because of this.

it´s the 1% use case

But I've heard of problems with other EVs (wasn't Telsa, but I can't remember the brand.  Maybe Renault?)  where they don't charge nowhere near as well as they claimed, and there were stories that what was supposed to be a 20-30 min quick charge took > 2 hours.  If you have a ferry/eurotunnel to catch then this doesn't work! 

Nissan, because the battery is not actively cooled. The 2019 model will have it.

32 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

If DB do finally introduce the direct London -> Frankfurt train they have been talking about for 10 years, then it might be more feasible in the future.

If I was single and the price was right I would consider it more.

Understood, and yes a direct service would be even better but who knows with Brexit. To get the good prices you do need to book well in advance and even then sometimes you have to compromise on which days you want to travel, but in that respect it is not so different to the airlines. Unlike the airlines though it is a civilised means of travel even if it does take a little longer.

4 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

I thought batteries were better when they were hot? 

I understand what you are saying, and in a lot of cases this is true.  But when we go back to the UK because we have a ferry/eurotunnel to catch then actually we don't stop for anywhere near this long.  We stop twice for toilet break and to swap driver and we take our own food.  So we would have to plan at extra 1.5 - 2 hours for charging because of this.

But hopefully things get better in the future.  If we could stop just once for longer then it would be OK.

But I've heard of problems with other EVs (wasn't Telsa, but I can't remember the brand.  Maybe Renault?)  where they don't charge nowhere near as well as they claimed, and there were stories that what was supposed to be a 20-30 min quick charge took > 2 hours.  If you have a ferry/eurotunnel to catch then this doesn't work!  

You can charge your car in the Eurotunnel or on the ferry, some that offer this are  P&O Ferries, Stena, Brittany and more. 

10 minutes ago, Janx Spirit said:

You can charge your car in the Eurotunnel or on the ferry, some that offer this are  P&O Ferries, Stena, Brittany and more. 

Damn it, this was actually pretty obvious.  What a better place to charge your car than in the ferry while your car is going to be parked for 1 to 3 hours?

5 hours ago, Krieg said:

I won't deny that Tesla's technology is the best at the moment in the e-car industry.  My problem is basically a budget problem.   I have never in my life bought a brand new car because I think it is a very bad business decision, if you buy a 1 year old car you can save up to 1/4 of the price of the car. 

You will find that Teslas (and later other EV) devalue less than ICE cars. There are some advantages in buying new too.

5 hours ago, Krieg said:

And I think spending more than 20K on a car is outrageous, to me cars are tools to bring you from point A to point B in a convenient way, not social status, or anything else.

There is much more than that to cars... safety, comfort, usability, driving experience... your opinion would change if you were to drive a good Merc for 1 year.

5 hours ago, Krieg said:

[...] to me cars are tools to bring you from point A to point B in a convenient way, not social status, or anything else.  I like nice cars only because of the feeling of driving nice cars.  I am still not willing to pay for a car what I could use to buy a small apartment and make some money out of it.

[...]

some are like you, some expect more from a car than just being seats with wheels and a metallic shell. on the same principle, decorating a house is useless because you only use it for sleeping a few hours a night anyway.

some say exactly the same things you said until they drive the first car that looks like one in the posters you used to hang on the walls as kid and suddenly you become Jeremy Clarkson. there is no cure once you catch the microbe!

feel free to buy a small a flat and to make money out of it. we don't have to be like you! oh, did I mention that some cars tend to become classics and appreciate in value over time??

1 minute ago, MikeMelga said:

You will find that Teslas (and later other EV) devalue less than ICE cars. There are some advantages in buying new too.

I covered this when I mentioned than second hand e-cars retain prices like an Apple product.

1 minute ago, MikeMelga said:

There is much more than that to cars... safety, comfort, usability, driving experience... your opinion would change if you were to drive a good Merc for 1 year.

My main car is a BMW X5.  So I value safety, comfort, driving experience, etc.  But not to the point to pay the 70K it costs new.   I paid 17K for it with 43.000 KM.    

PS., I am still too young to drive a Mercedes, I am still in my late 40s.

5 hours ago, Krieg said:

And I think spending more than 20K on a car is outrageous, to me cars are tools to bring you from point A to point B in a convenient way, not social status, or anything else.  I like nice cars only because of the feeling of driving nice cars.  

... yet you drive a premium car, which are all about social status. buy a Dacia Logan then!

4 minutes ago, Krieg said:

My main car is a BMW X5.  So I value safety, comfort, driving experience, etc.  But not to the point to pay the 70K it costs new.   I paid 17K for it with 43.000 KM.

yep, AMG cars are for old people!

10 minutes ago, mannes said:

some are like you, some expect more from a car than just being seats with wheels and a metallic shell. on the same principle, decorating a house is useless because you only use it for sleeping a few hours a night anyway.

some say exactly the same things you said until they drive the first car that looks like one in the posters you used to hang on the walls as kid and suddenly you become Jeremy Clarkson. there is no cure once you catch the microbe!

feel free to buy a small a flat and to make money out of it. we don't have to be like you! oh, did I mention that some cars tend to become classics and appreciate in value over time??

Not willing to pay full price for a brand new car is not the same as not liking nice cars.

Just now, mannes said:

... yet you drive a premium car, which are all about social status. buy a Dacia Logan then!

Again, I never said I do not like nice cars.   But even if I bought a Dacia Logan it would be the same, I wouldn't buy it brand new.   I would buy it 1 or 2 years old.

And I do not buy a car based on social status.     My other car is a VW T4 from 1995.   What social status has that?

1 minute ago, zwiebelfisch said:

It makes you sound like a hipster.

Not really, the T4s are not hip.   If it was a T1, T2 or T3 totally yes.

2 hours ago, Krieg said:

Your opinion was valid 10 years ago... Mercedes from 2010 onwards are sexy, fast and fun to drive.

And I am yonger than you.

They have less buttons to control than a BMW, but everything works very well out of the box.

I´ve recently driven a new Audi and despite all the new fancy gadgets inside, usability was poor (example: cruise control), handling was not good and simple features, like hilll assist, just always worked a bit worst than with my 2010 Merc.

18 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

, like hilll assist, just always worked a bit worst than with my 2010 Merc.

With my car I can drive up and down hills without any problems.

What's the purpose of a hill assist?

2 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

What's the purpose of a hill assist?

That's a device fitted to the driving school cars in northern Germany

to allow them to simulate a hill start. Needed for the driving test in  areas like the flatlands of

SH where you can normally see who is coming to visit tomorrow by looking out of the window.

(Upstairs at home you can spot visitors coming day after tomorrow)