Diesel cars banned in Frankfurt

827 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

My reccomendation, as always ( and the hate topic of my life here in Germanland) is the Prioritising of pedestrians crossing the road...!!!!

 

 I have not driven a car in FFM but have walked on numerous occaisions from FFM Hauptbahnhof to Zeil etc. In comparison to Berlin, I would not describe crossing all these roads as pedestrian friendly, rather the opposite. You are waiting ages until you have a brief chance to sprint across the road. 

 

Where would you suggest that pedestrians are prioritized? Genuine question. I do not know that FFM area particularly well. 

 

Points two and three I find excellent.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

The diesel vehicle ban in Frankfurt will NOT be enforced!!

 

Whereas the one on my street will be :lol:.   It was one of two addressed for DA.  First bans here.  We have big NO2 issues here.  I believe a knock-on is to make it a one-way street which will be interesting to see.

 

I totally agree that the lack of chance to cross roads here is often absurd.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, During normal school hours and typical dailly commuting, it can take upto 8 (or even more sometimes) Traffic light sequences for the orange lane to clear the junction... Where as there is never or seldom a problem with traffic turning left of going straight on... If the traffic in the orange lane was allowed to proceed first, then most  of the vehicles would be able to clear the junction in very little time at all... 

trafficlights.png

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the traffic lights need rephasing then? 

 

I do not have an impression of what FFM is like to drive through by car. On foot it gives and odd impression. The traffic seems more aggressive than Berlin, perhaps with good reason. 

 

Perhaps FFM is in the unique position of being equally unhelpful for pedestrian and vehicle alike. 

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kommentarlos said:

Perhaps FFM is in the unique position of being equally unhelpful for pedestrian and vehicle alike. 

 

 

FFM is the most "American" feeling city I've visited in Germany.

 

so yes.  I think your supposition fits :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It may depend a bit on exactly in Berlin you are.  The main junction near us there is awful, albeit also tram heavy and that often takes you to "level crossing, just no barriers".   You can wait ages there.   It also does that thing on the two parts where - on the wrong side - the far bit goes green first and so by the time your bit does and you cross it, the second bit's red again - so two endless waits :angry:.   Learned I must cross outside my home rather than wander up the street and then face that. 

 

I recently attempted Tempelhof (Ikea natch) in driving rain in the dark on foot, which is of course also the ring.  Really not good :unsure:.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Von der tann strasse onto Ludwigstr in Munich is another that springs to mind...  From the altstadt ring in munich onto the Landwehrstr is also problematic as you come from Stachus...   

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most diesel are Injection fed and therefor require a liquid under high pressure to be induced and ignighted... 

 

plus 50 other reasons...  

Edited...

 

Why didnt you post this in the stupid quetion forum?

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/12/2018, 18:54:44, Kommentarlos said:

So the traffic lights need rephasing then? 

 

I do not have an impression of what FFM is like to drive through by car. On foot it gives and odd impression. The traffic seems more aggressive than Berlin, perhaps with good reason. 

 

Perhaps FFM is in the unique position of being equally unhelpful for pedestrian and vehicle alike. 

 

 

 

I find that in most German cities I have driven in that traffic light phasing not optimised.  They need to have more sensors so that they can adjust to the actual amount of traffic.

I remember watching a docu about how they done this around trafalgar square in London about 10 - 15 years ago, and while I can't recall the numbers the difference was impressive.

 

There is one section of road that I drive through regularly in Frankfurt, where along a 5km stretch there are 10 sets of lights.  Of these, 2 or 3 work in a sequence but the rest don't seem to make sense.

I have noticed that if there is no or light traffic that if I drive at the speed limit then I get caught at most of the lights (even though I am on the main road, and all the others are side roads), but if I drive slightly too fast then I have more chance of getting through a 3 or 4 light sequence without getting caught by a red light.  But, even if there is no traffic I will get caught by 2 or more red lights even when there is no other traffic.

 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

 

I find that in most German cities I have driven in that traffic light phasing not optimised.  They need to have more sensors so that they can adjust to the actual amount of traffic.

I remember watching a docu about how they done this around trafalgar square in London about 10 - 15 years ago, and while I can't recall the numbers the difference was impressive.

 

There is one section of road that I drive through regularly in Frankfurt, where along a 5km stretch there are 10 sets of lights.  Of these, 2 or 3 work in a sequence but the rest don't seem to make sense.

I have noticed that if there is no or light traffic that if I drive at the speed limit then I get caught at most of the lights (even though I am on the main road, and all the others are side roads), but if I drive slightly too fast then I have more chance of getting through a 3 or 4 light sequence without getting caught by a red light.  But, even if there is no traffic I will get caught by 2 or more red lights even when there is no other traffic.

 

 

 

I remember that there was quite a long section of the A4 coming out of Slough (liked to be known as Slough Safety Town in those days) with linked lights that allowed you through the whole lot if you kept to the 30 mph speed limit, what was not quite so well known was that you could clear the lot even quicker at 90 mph (60 mph did not work for some reason). From my younger days on a motorbike.:rolleyes:

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if it possible to sue BMW for deliberately allowing more greenhouse gasses into the air?

 

Why wont BMW release the needed parts for sale in Germany that allow for cleaner cars from their stable?

 

They are available in the USA but "Made in Germany"!... 

 

I have never liked BMW, but I have never had anything against them either... until Now!

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've just moved to Frankfurt and were thinking of a diesel SUV with EU 4 until we read about this today! How will they police this? We currently live out near Offenbach and rarely drive into the city centre so not sure how much of an impact this will have. What do you will think?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where will you use the car, then? Are you outside the Offenbach city limits?

 

Offenbach will probably also fall within the ban. I don't know how they will police it, but rest assured they WILL police it.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MrDP said:

We've just moved to Frankfurt and were thinking of a diesel SUV with EU 4 until we read about this today! How will they police this? We currently live out near Offenbach and rarely drive into the city centre so not sure how much of an impact this will have. What do you will think?

I think it would be an awful lot more friendly for the environment and air quality in your area, not to mention resale value, if you chose an electric or hybrid vehicle, or even public transport and bicycles. I can't believe anyone would consider buying a diesel vehicle for personal and family transport these days.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Smaug said:

Where will you use the car, then? Are you outside the Offenbach city limits?

 

Offenbach will probably also fall within the ban. I don't know how they will police it, but rest assured they WILL police it.

 

We actually live in Heusenstamm and if going into the city always use the S-Bahn. On rare occasions we may need to pop into town to pick up something from a shop for example.

 

We mainly use the car to drive to the local supermarket (as we have two kids) and then for day trips at the weekends.

 

Thanks for all your advice.

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There will be random check-points on main roads into the cities until they have the Cameras in place.

 

The Cameras will Photgraph both the plate and the driver of the vehicle... 

 

I am almost sure that there will be "Privacy" law cases take out against the city at some stage...

 

I wonder how long it will be before they decide that the Batteries are unsafe and pose huge risk if and when involved in fires/accidents.. 

 

 

It sounds like a tee totaller is organising this particular piss-up!

 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

I wonder how long it will be before they decide that the Batteries are unsafe and pose huge risk if and when involved in fires/accidents.. 

Electric cars have far less risk of fires. The current issue is that fire departments are not trained on how to extinguish a battery fire.

 

Quote

 

Tesla claims that gasoline powered cars are about 11 times more likely to catch fire than a Tesla. It says the best comparison is fires per 1 billion miles driven. It says the 300,000 Teslas on the road have been driven a total of 7.5 billion miles, and about 40 fires have been reported. That works out to five fires for every billion miles traveled, compared to a rate of 55 fires per billion miles traveled in gasoline cars.

 

The problem is that everytime a Tesla catchs on fire, the FUD media reports it.

 

 

Not to mention fire and environmental disasters when oil is transported across the world...

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/19/2018, 9:53:26, SpiderPig said:

Woohoo!!

 

The diesel vehicle ban in Frankfurt will NOT be enforced!!

They are really "happy" at the oncology clinic...the whole half a million per year...

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now