Diesel cars banned in Frankfurt

865 posts in this topic

Tesla May Soon Have a Battery That Can Last a Million Miles

Elon Musk promised Tesla would soon have a million-mile battery, more than double what drivers can expect today. A new paper suggests he wasn't exaggerating.

Last April, Elon Musk promised that Tesla would soon be able to power its electric cars for more than 1 million miles over the course of their lifespan. At the time, the claim seemed a bit much. That’s more than double the mileage Tesla owners can expect to get out of their car’s current battery packs, which are already well beyond the operational range of most other EV batteries. It just didn’t seem real—except now it appears that it is.

Earlier this month, a group of battery researchers at Dalhousie University, which has an exclusive agreement with Tesla, published a paper in The Journal of the Electrochemical Society describing a lithium-ion battery that “should be able to power an electric vehicle for over 1 million miles” while losing less than 10 percent of its energy capacity during its lifetime.

Led by physicist Jeff Dahn, one of the world’s foremost lithium-ion researchers, the Dalhousie group showed that its battery significantly outperforms any similar lithium-ion battery previously reported. They noted their battery could be especially useful for self-driving robotaxis and long-haul electric trucks, two products Tesla is developing.

What’s interesting, though, is that the authors don’t herald the results as a breakthrough. Rather, they present it as a benchmark for other battery researchers. And they don’t skimp on the specifics.

“Full details of these cells including electrode compositions, electrode loadings, electrolyte compositions, additives used, etc. have been provided,” Dahn and his colleagues wrote in the paper. “This has been done so that others can recreate these cells and use them as benchmarks for their own R+D efforts.”

https://www.wired.com/story/tesla-may-soon-have-a-battery-that-can-last-a-million-miles/

2 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Poor people's mindset. If you are taking a loan, you have to do the math of TCO even more than if you pay cash!

One thing I've seen in life is that a lot of poor people stay poor because they can't see past the next day.

You really do live in an Ivory tower don`t you.

You simply haven`t a clue.

2 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Let me tell you one thing: I have NO DEBTS! You know why? Because I only buy what I can immediately afford to pay cash! What I see is a lot of people that go into debt unnecessarily. 

So you`re well off and have no debts.

If you have as much money as you claim then I should fucking hope you have no debts.

This business of a 'poor people's mindset' is sodding annoying. 

Plenty of poor people know they would get better value by doing things differently, but if they are literally struggling to afford the absolute necessities, then they cannot take advantage of a slightly longer term view.

Unless there is some kind of leg-up. This happens for some and not for others. 

Yes of course there are poor people who make ridiculous decisions, just as there are plenty with more money than sense, but to make this 'mindset' blanket point is pretty low.

Not that that is a great surprise.

5 hours ago, kiplette said:

This business of a 'poor people's mindset' is sodding annoying. 

Plenty of poor people know they would get better value by doing things differently, but if they are literally struggling to afford the absolute necessities, then they cannot take advantage of a slightly longer term view.

Unless there is some kind of leg-up. This happens for some and not for others. 

Yes of course there are poor people who make ridiculous decisions, just as there are plenty with more money than sense, but to make this 'mindset' blanket point is pretty low.

Not that that is a great surprise.

Usually this sort of mindset if from people who never actually earned the money but have been left it by mummy and daddy.

On 11/9/2019, 3:16:37, Keleth said:

Usually this sort of mindset if from people who never actually earned the money but have been left it by mummy and daddy.

For your information, I busted my ass for 12 years before coming to Germany. I created my company with my own money, had several years with 1 week of vacation per year, had countless weekends and nights working my ass off. 

In one specific project in 2009 I worked over 300h per month during 6 months. The result was severe tendinitis in both arms and shoulders, which is still a problem after 10 years. I invested literally everything I had, once I was left with 32€ in my bank account.

I know that there are a lot of poor people out there that work hard, try to save money and still don't make it. But there are also a lot of lazy spenders.

So let me enjoy my Tesla because I definitely deserve it!

At this time I think it is worth pointing out that before the emissions scandal came to light  new diesel engine cars were quite a bit more expensive than their equivalent petrol engine versions. The selling advantage being cheaper and better fuel economy and supposedly a longer life and more environmentally friendly. So hardly a poor peoples car any more than the EV of today.

3 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

For your information, I busted my ass for 12 years before coming to Germany. I created my company with my own money, had several years with 1 week of vacation per year, had countless weekends and nights working my ass off. 

In one specific project in 2009 I worked over 300h per month during 6 months. The result was severe tendinitis in both arms and shoulders, which is still a problem after 10 years. I invested literally everything I had, once I was left with 32€ in my bank account.

You had as much as €32 in your bank ?

That`s not poor that`s working class living payday to payday.

I know that there are a lot of poor people out there that work hard, try to save money and still don't make it. But there are also a lot of lazy spenders.

Oh changed your tuned from the massive generalisations you were using before haven`t you.

When I made a generalisation about rich people and money you soon found that offensive didn`t you

Enjoy your Tesla,I have no problem with you driving whatever you want.

It`s you who`s not letting other people enjoy what they drive.In this thread you`ve managed to slag off any other make of car bar Tesla that`s the problem people have with you and your Tesla love.

2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

The green monster is strong in this thread

Nope not jealousy just pissed off that he sees fit to insult everyone who hasn`t got as much money as him.

4 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

I enjoy very much reading you experiences with this new technology. I hope that more poeple can profit from this development sooner rather than later.

The impression of a lack of joined up thinking from German cities with regard to emissions is another point running in parallel in this thread. @SpiderPig makes good points regarding effectively targeting the source of harmful emissions from other sources.

There are also those who have invested in diesel, possibly having being misled by the large car manufacturers and now seem to have backed the wrong horse. This can be an expensive mistake to make, especially for those looking to save money as main car puchase priority.

There are also the feckless, who cannot be helped but also need to be taken into account if the goal is clean air for all. Tedious but unavoidable.

31 minutes ago, Keleth said:

he sees fit to insult everyone who hasn`t got as much money as him.

I must have missed something. Who has he insulted and how?

What I have noticed is people attacking him for his choice of car and being happy with it.

57 minutes ago, Kommentarlos said:

There are also the feckless, who cannot be helped but also need to be taken into account if the goal is clean air for all. Tedious but unavoidable.

I dont think the Clean air arguement is tedious, but I do find the way the "DUH " is going about this is totally wrong...

These lawyers that work for the DUH also have no fucking idea what its like to live in a "real world"... ie, they usually have 3 or 4 credit cards.. usually all maxed out and debts that are often out of control!   ( I know a few who regularly need to give me new CC info as their other card is maxed!)...   
If they actually fixed the root problem, the rest of the problems would slowly resolve themself!... ie Traffic management !..  

It used to take me 55-60 minutes to take my Daughter home and its a 75km trip... These days I am lucky if I can get her home in 90 minutes... Collecting her and taking her to my place is regularly a 90-120 minute trip (one way)... and as this is walking pace traffic, there is no way to switch off the engine and reduce polution... Slow moving traffic does not distibute the exhaust gases, so the local area becomes pungent with noxios odours!   ( Smokers cause this problem too... and even Vape users cause huge plumes of poison!)

I have been a diesel fan for over 30 years and I firmly beleive that it still has a place on the forecourts!..

I know that the main engine block that is in my car is the same one that is in newer vehicles and even brand new ones that meet the euro6 regs... 

I also know that there is software available for my vehicle that would make it a euro6 compliant car...( I would also need to replace the Cat and DPF for it to fully comply...   BUT the TUV /DEKRA would not allow it as its not software that was supplied for my old car!

We could go back a year and see if anything has changed with the US specs of many BMWs vs the Euro spec...    Solutions are there for older vehicles... but the big boys dont want it so the little boys suffer!

Its manipulation and bullying...  

As for MM insulting folks?  No.. he is just embarrasing himself!

1 hour ago, Keleth said:

You had as much as €32 in your bank ?

That`s not poor that`s working class living payday to payday.

Working class actually get a salary at the end of the month. I went years without one, just investing back. Blew up all the money I saved during youth when working on recording studios and other activities.

Fortunately at some point it paid off.

1 hour ago, Keleth said:

Enjoy your Tesla,I have no problem with you driving whatever you want.

It`s you who`s not letting other people enjoy what they drive.In this thread you`ve managed to slag off any other make of car bar Tesla that`s the problem people have with you and your Tesla love.

Not really. I said I am quite interested on VW ID3. Also the Leaf (small battery version) and Zoe remain a good car for short commutes. But the Leaf is not good for long drives, even if it has the range for it.

1 hour ago, Keleth said:

Nope not jealousy just pissed off that he sees fit to insult everyone who hasn`t got as much money as him.

Doesn't really sound like that.

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

I must have missed something. Who has he insulted and how?

Nope calling people having a poor persons mindset for not having the extra 10k to buy an EV is acceptable obviously.

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

What I have noticed is people attacking him for his choice of car and being happy with it.

Most people have not been attacking him for having a Tesla but more for his certainty that it must be a Tesla because nothing matches up to it and anything else is bad.

On 11/7/2019, 10:02:33, BradinBayern said:

Cell phones were also once only a toy for the rich.  As were home computers, cars, you name it.  Any new technology that comes out will have the same tired argument used against it.  Of course electric cars are more expensive.  Car companies have had over 100 years to perfect the technology and the production of ICE cars which results in lower costs.  You cannot go to an engineering department that specializes in, for example, fuel injectors, and tell them they will be working on battery coolant systems next week.  That is expertise that has to be built up or bought and that isn't free and doesn't happen overnight.  The technology will get better, problems will be solved, and production costs will drop just as they do for basically every new product that comes to the market.  

The big difference here is that Cell phones and then smart phones were a new technology where no such thing existed previously (who would have thought a handy would replace landlines for many people )whereas an EV is new technology that is replacing something that exists already and is worth billions.

It costs millions to produce a new model of a car so I can`t imagine how much it costs to develop and produce a new model that uses brand new technology and a lot of companys won`t put their full weight behind it until they`re sure that it is going to pay off.

This whole thread comes down to "which do you care more about, the environment, or poor people?".

Its a lose lose.  Whatever opinion you have you come off as a dusche.

I want an electric vehicle charged by coal power stations, that way I get to annoy the greens and look down on the plebs that cant afford a nice car. 

On 11/8/2019, 5:23:15, MikeMelga said:

a lot of poor people stay poor because they can't see past the next day.

you have clearly never lived "paycheck to paycheck" which IN FACT leaves you not knowing jack about where you will be financially possibly tomorrow, but certainly not past your next paycheck, at best.   yeah yeah, you didn't have a regular paycheck, but that was by choice, right?  and somehow you had the savings to forgo having a paycheck.  Good on you, truly, but the majority of people don't have this luxury.

I don't think you're willfully trying to insult anyone but you apparently have no earthly clue what it's actually like to be "poor".  Great to wax poetic about what people "should" do with their money, but you are assuming they HAVE money to make choices with.  Oh you were down to 32 euros in your bank account ONCE? ffs people who are actually poor face this every freaking month, if they are lucky and don't go into the red, for years on end and possibly a lifetime. Punishing people with so few resources with extra taxes for having to drive a shitty clunker, if they can even afford any car at all, is so obnoxious I have no words.  I do think this blind and/or naive elitism is precisely what is pissing people off, not the car itself. 

I think it's great that you can afford the car you have - truly fantastic.  No envy here at all.  I could have one if I wanted one, but having been actually poor for much of my life, there are FAR more interesting and important things to spend money on than a stupid car - FOR ME.  Would I ever propose foisting that choice on other people?  Would I come up with some proposal to "incentivise" people to buy tiny cars with 3 cylinder engines that can't break 160 unless you're on a 5%+ downgrade with the wind at your tail?  NO!  And that's exactly the problem with your views here - you seem perfectly comfortable with the idea of foisting your values on other people when you personally will never be touched by your proposed "solutions", as not only could you afford it, but you'd be in the exclusive group that would not be penalized in the first place- yay, you!.  That, and you seem to have no earthly clue nor concern for how hard those proposals might be on those less fortunate than yourself. 

dude.  I generally don't think you're a jerk, but sometimes...gah!

2 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

This whole thread comes down to "which do you care more about, the environment, or poor people?".

I want an electric vehicle charged by coal power stations, that way I get to annoy the greens and look down on the plebs that cant afford a nice car. 

pure evil.

I like it :)

1 hour ago, zwiebelfisch said:

Do you keep it together with your ivory inlaid Baby seal Club made out of rare tropical hardwood??

1 hour ago, zwiebelfisch said:

I love it, but I would prefer the vehicle being charged by nuclear power stations, as that would annoy not just the greens, but practically everybody, without even contributing to global warming.