Diesel cars banned in Frankfurt

827 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Lastly... How is payment taken when you "charge" at a remote site?  Do you hook up the car and the car talks to some server and allocates ammount of power consumed or what?  Please can someone explain this to me?

This is basically a pain in the butt.  Basically there is no standard yet.   In some situations you need to be a customer of that "network", you have to be pre-registered and you need their customer card.   UK is pretty bad in terms of this, it is ironic because it is probably the country in Europe with more charging points, but as well the one with the bigger chaos.

Fortunately there are apps that tell you how every charging point works, which connection they offer and how to pay so you do not waste time going to one you won't be able to charge.

In Germany is not that bad, but there are not enough charging places yet.

And what about a "Home" charging station? Do you have to pay normal cost for power consumed or is it discounted or inflated?

16 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

So, if the battery is "Fine"... then why change it?  

Eventually it will not be. AFAICR,  it loses a bit over 1% a year, so after 20 years, you would have only 70-80% of original  charging capacity.

19 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Who installed the charging unit? A local Sparkie

Local Sparky - their insurance forked out eventually, took some bum kicking but I am good at that.

20 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Lastly... How is payment taken when you "charge" at a remote site?

€0.34 a minute charging on a supercharger usually  = €6.80 on a 20 minute top up charge or €20.40 or so a full one hour charge ( you would have to be down to 1-3%  for that )

14 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

And what about a "Home" charging station? Do you have to pay normal cost for power consumed or is it discounted or inflated?

Do not know about anyone else but we have  separate zahler(s) for the supercharger and charging points, cheaper rate too. Then again, we feed a fair bit into the grid via Solar and a small windmill and have powerwalls on each property.

yes, interesting reading, how much is a home supercharger ?, if you do not mind saying,  I guess other charging points is just the wall socket plug ?

8 minutes ago, yesterday said:

yes, interesting reading, how much is a home supercharger ?,

Put it this way, more than the car itself but we had to lay some new power lines from the main road anyway so meh.

You can normally only get a Standard Tesla wall Charger which will give you 22kw but there are other possibilities ( ie a Mobi )

But Basically, if you throw enough money at it, you can get yourself a supercharger. You will need permission to install it and have the infrastructure to install one.

A standard Tesla wall charger costs around €600 without installation , Charging from a normal 220  wall socket will take you around 45hrs to fully load an empty 100kWh battery AFAICR

There are a few other possibilities / setups but we didnt go for those

Can you set yourself, as a Tesla Supercharge charging point and, get money from re-charging other Tesla's ? like you can sell tour unused solar power 

Must admit 45 hours sounds like a long time to charge at home.

1 hour ago, yesterday said:

Must admit 45 hours sounds like a long time to charge at home.

Clarification: 45h is with a normal 230V 10A plug.

A Tesla 22Kw charger is much faster. Depending on your model, you get 50 to 100km of charge per hour, which means 6-10 hours of total charge.

https://www.tesla.com/de_DE/support/home-charging-installation?redirect=no

For a normal daily commute (50-100km), you get back to full charge in 1-2hours with a home charger. With a normal plug, around 5-8 hours, so still doable during the night.

Can you set yourself, as a Tesla Supercharge charging point and, get money from re-charging other Tesla's ? like you can sell tour unused solar power 

I suppose one could set oneself up as a Gewerbe and do it but whats the point doing it privately? for €0.34 a minute?

We have a private road, no point and I would not want all and sundry heading up my road, it is private for a reason.

Must admit 45 hours sounds like a long time to charge at home

Only if someone is too cheap to fork out for a faster system, frankly, if one is going to invest a goodly chunk in a good EV, you don't skimp on a good charger.They are not that expensive.

agreed 600 euro for the fast charger is nothing, in comparison to what you have to fork out on a Tesla.

Just thought, if you could make some money by letting other cars use your charger, it could vastly increase the number of charger stations available as more people might be tempted to get into the pay-charge model - and would motivate more people to buy an e-car - as they would have more options to charge.

just was watching this video on youtube 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gguwJRrzzF8

It says the evidence under which the diesel bans are put into place is basically floored.

Because there is just not enough data to make a conclusion about diesels, the World health organization ( WTO ) used other sources, like the effects gas boilers to produce the overall figures - which many experts just do not accept as relevant. 

This means the bans have no scientific basis.

Smokers inhale far worse, and have a reduced life length, diesel emissions are 1000 of times less than a smoker gets.

The USA does not accept the limits Europe has imposed.

It says the evidence under which the diesel bans are put into place is basically floored.

If you believe anything on YouTube then I guess "floored" is the right word!:lol:

generally speaking I can agree, youtube has to be viewed as in accurate

However, it does sometimes, have material from respected TV outlets, deutsche welle are one of those respected TV outlets - showing the scientist who came the limit and how it came to be, addressed the real health issues and the way that the monitoring stations were wrongly placed. 

5 hours ago, yesterday said:

As others said, youtube, really?

Because there is just not enough data to make a conclusion about diesels, the World health organization ( WTO ) used other sources, like the effects gas boilers to produce the overall figures - which many experts just do not accept as relevant. 

This means the bans have no scientific basis.

BULLSHIT!

Smokers inhale far worse, and have a reduced life length, diesel emissions are 1000 of times less than a smoker gets.

actually 10x less. The difference is that I spend 1.5h hours in traffic, plus 22.5h near a busy street, while smokers only smoke for a few minuts per day.

So, although 10x less damaging, the exposure is 40x more time.

Get it or do I need to draw a picture???

The USA does not accept the limits Europe has imposed.

Who gives a fuck about USA? Is that an argument?

39 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

As others said, youtube, really?

BULLSHIT!

yes I can see your well argued point, thanks :lol:

actually 10x less. The difference is that I spend 1.5h hours in traffic, plus 22.5h near a busy street, while smokers only smoke for a few minuts per day.

So, although 10x less damaging, the exposure is 40x more time.

Get it or do I need to draw a picture???

yes, please any evidence based stuff I am happy to read about, if you do not mind, this video shows how the evidence was made up, if you got something different please put it here.

generally speaking I can agree, youtube has to be viewed as in accurate

yes of course, who gvies a fuck about USA, are you not about to buy a car from America, 

However, it does sometimes, have material from respected TV outlets, deutsche welle are one of those respected TV outlets - showing the scientist who came the limit and how it came to be, addressed the real health issues and the way that the monitoring stations were wrongly placed. 

Just saw these numbers:

RDE (real driving emissions) values from the ADAC:

Volvo XC60 D5 AWD: 56 mg NOx / km

VW Golf 1.6 TDI: 14 mg NOx / km

Opel Astra 1.6d: 1 mg NOx / km

Mercedes C220d: 0 mg NOx / km

Temperatures: -0.4 to +7.9°C

I think there are no reasons to ban Euro 6d Diesel cars in Frankfurt.

The RDE number are lower than the values for gasoline cars.

(If they want to ban EURO 6d Diesel cars they also have to ban direct injection gasoline cars)

On 1/24/2019, 9:08:23, yesterday said:

I - lisa and Mike will just be poisoned by all the diesel cars in Munich ( of which I own one :)).

Forgive the total lack of technical terms in this post...

The highest measurement allowed for the pollution in town is about 46.

In the workplace it is over 900.

So just think you`ll all be nice and safe in town when all those electric cars are buzzing around but just think of those poor bastards in the factories etc making the cars and producing the batteries.

On 3/31/2019, 7:46:39, MikeMelga said:

The same USA who don`t really think climate change is a "thing"