Diesel cars banned in Frankfurt

819 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, MikeMelga said:

I don't understand why you are so pessimistic, it will be here in the first half of 2019. My guess is that orders can be done from January 2019 on.

Yes, you can probably order it, but when you actually get it is another thing.  Aren't in the USA people still waiting for orders put in April 2016?  and they even didn't start building those cheaper versions?

Maybe you will have more luck with the more expensive models.

13 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Yes, you can probably order it, but when you actually get it is another thing.  Aren't in the USA people still waiting for orders put in April 2016?  and they even didn't start building those cheaper versions?

No, you had pre-orders, and at that time it was perfectly clear that no car would be delivered before summer 2017. They were expecting less than 100.000 pre-orders. Instead, they got 500.000.

For new orders in US the wait time is between 2 and 4 months, depending on the model.

The cheaper version will become available somewhere in January-March.

But tbh, not interested in it. I think it is a waste of money and a decision to regret later.

I'm in the same boat, now driving a very nice but basicly worthless low mileage diesel. Since the scandal broke diesel cars have plummeted in value Germans don't want them. But then when I see gas going for 1.50 a litre I feel do a tad guilty.

i expect the car companies will retrofit the cars, I hope!

I doubt Euro 4 and older diesels will ever be retrofitted. It's the Euro 5 and, in particular, Euro 6 models with the cheat software that the companies may have to retrofit, but it will have to come at the European level - I don't think Germany will take the initiative in imposing a rule that would cost its car industry billions of euros (and thus billions in lost tax revenue).

6 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

I want to purchase a new car and was considering a Euro 6 diesel.  Not sure what to do now,

What about buying a LPG car?

Just now, jeba said:

What about buying a LPG car?

Nope, need to be able to go on the channel tunnel. 

And these trips back to the UK are also why an electric car doesn't yet cut the mustard.

Euro 6 isn't affected by potential bans - yet. Cars that satisfy the Euro 6d standard should be good even if 6 gets caught up in the bans, assuming they didn't install cheat software to achieve it.

There isn't a 6d sticker yet - probably to avoid impairing the value of all the 6 vehicles out there - but as more cities are forced to impose diesel bans, I'm sure it will come at some point.

I heard today that this was not a government (local or otherwise) decision but a court ruling after some environmental organisation started a court case. I don't understand how that could have happened and there's been no mention until the court's decision.

Yeah, it's BUND that's been filing the lawsuits in the various cities where NOx limits are violated regularly. It's been in the news quite a bit, though - there are over 750,000 hits when you google "BUND klagt".

Who is going to contro whether the cars in the city are diesel or not? The police? I've heard that they were already overburdened with their tasks.

1 hour ago, International Student said:

Who is going to contro whether the cars in the city are diesel or not? The police? I've heard that they were already overburdened with their tasks.

That is the smallest of problems. It works the same way as winter tires or a fake license plate: if you get caught, you will suffer, so (smart) people don't take the chance.

Lets hope that they dont start taxing/Punishing all those restaurants that burn Gas all day to provide us with out our prepped food!!

Lets all wait for the tighter and tighter restrictions on wood burners and central heating burns...

AND.. lets all Ignore the Aircraft... the Rubber particles from tyres and dust from brakes and all the plastic needed to produce these Enviromentally friendly Cars!!!...

It's worth a read... sorry can only find the German publication...

https://www.mmnews.de/wirtschaft/88533-duh-der-todesstoss-fuer-diesel

9 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

AND.. lets all Ignore the Aircraft... the Rubber particles from tyres and dust from brakes and all the plastic needed to produce these Enviromentally friendly Cars!!!...

Been proven wrong, an electric car is slightly less pollutant to build than a gas car and significantly less pollutant to run.

The rest is big oil propaganda.

2 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Lets hope that they dont start taxing/Punishing all those restaurants that burn Gas all day to provide us with out our prepped food!!

I am more than fine with a total ban on restaraunts using gas for outdoor heating for their guests. Cold? Get a blanket or go inside. Heating the air outside is frankly ridiculous.

6 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

I have yet to see a restaurant warming or prepping my food on the heat of a Patio heater...

Didn't you know, this is all the trend.  If you haven't see this then you must be out of touch and you're obviously eating in the wrong establishments!

;)

On 9/11/2018, 7:10:29, dj_jay_smith said:

Didn't you know, this is all the trend.  If you haven't see this then you must be out of touch and you're obviously eating in the wrong establishments!

;)

i.e. home?

Glad I bought a petrol car when I moved to Germany. In spite of the extra effort in the 2nd-hand market, it was worth it :P

(I also get the Crit'Air 1 sticker for France ^_^, which no diesel gets)

Woohoo!!

The diesel vehicle ban in Frankfurt will NOT be enforced!!

Its looking like someone has woken up and smelt the coffee!!

So.. Where should they start with this "Cleaner air" millarky?

My reccomendation, as always ( and the hate topic of my life here in Germanland) is the Prioritising of pedestrians crossing the road...!!!!

1st...Let the dirty stinking cars go first... then they are not sat at the lights chugging out poison!   

2nd... Put some sort of "count down to green" indicator/clock at the lights so everyone knows how long they need to wait and if its worth switching off their engine etc... !

3rd... Stop the ships on the main from spewing that poison into the air!!  Lets face it, these gases/particles are usually heavier than air, so the will be forced to stay at low level where the people are!