Diesel cars banned in Frankfurt

829 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Have you written to Toyota and told them so..? 

They may just wake up and smell the coffee if you do..!

Why bother if they already know it? ;) 

34 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Have you written to Toyota and told them so..? 

They may just wake up and smell the coffee if you do..!

Don´t need to.

Nikola switched from Hydrogen to EV this month:

https://electrek.co/2019/02/08/nikola-motors-electric-trucks-tesla-semi/

And the best of all:

Toyota admits ‘Elon Musk is right’ about fuel cell, but moves forward with hydrogen anyway

As the article mention,the refueling speed is virtually the only advantage of a hydrogen car.

Thing is, that advantage is shrinking every year. For a normal EV user, that is no disadvantage at all, as overnight charging means ZERO minutes at the gas station.

Now you may wonder, are they stupid? No, they are not stupid. But they are managers focused on mid term company performance, because their bonus are paid yearly or even every trimester.

Switching to EV makes no sense for them on the short-mid term. But this will hurt them badly on the long run.

From the viewpoint of being completely uninformed about hydrogen powered vehicles there should be no contest in respect to an infrastructure compared to EVs, electricity is readily available just about everywhere after all. While clearly burning hydrogen is environmentally friendly those pictures of the last moments of the Hindenburg keep coming to mind.

I bunged this here 'cause I couldn't find a thread just concerning Tesla. After a series of Tesla break-ins, they have released an Over-the-Air software update that includes "Sentry Mode" - an alarm system that also records video footage:

On 15.2.2019, 11:46:20, keith2011 said:

From the viewpoint of being completely uninformed about hydrogen powered vehicles there should be no contest in respect to an infrastructure compared to EVs, electricity is readily available just about everywhere after all. While clearly burning hydrogen is environmentally friendly those pictures of the last moments of the Hindenburg keep coming to mind.

In constrast to burning airplanes and burning cars, the Hindenburg burned environmentally friendly.

No soot and normally you even don't see a flame.

On 15.2.2019, 11:46:20, keith2011 said:

While clearly burning hydrogen is environmentally friendly

The hydrogen production is not. Still, better to be a polluter at a factory than on a street.

6 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

The hydrogen production is not. Still, better to be a polluter at a factory than on a street.

For that matter nor is the production of most electricity (nuclear, coal and gas), so if you make hydrogen by electrolysis there is a double whammy but I guess it would mostly be produced direct from hydrocarbons, so agreed.

23 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

For that matter nor is the production of most electricity (nuclear, coal and gas),

Electricity transport is mostly pollution free. Hydrogen is not.

Also wind power at night is mostly unused, so you can store it in battery systems.

so if you make hydrogen by electrolysis there is a double whammy but I guess it would mostly be produced direct from hydrocarbons, so agreed.

Most hydrogen is not made by electrolysis because it is too expensive. You could of course use electricity leftovers from night time to do it, but so could you store it in a battery system, which is vastly more efficient.

Very interest update on supercharger V3.

https://www.tesla.com/de_DE/blog/introducing-v3-supercharging?redirect=no

You get 120km in 5 minutes of charge (depending on the battery remaining range). This is quite impressive. Not only it makes hydrogen advantage go away, it almost evaporates the  ICE cars advantage. 

Also it opens the door to something else: smaller batteries. No need for 580km range batteries, maybe 350 or 400 is enough, as you can recharge 120km in 5 minutes.

BTW, will order my Tesla Model 3 in April :D

Considering this new (supercharger) development, I might stick with the Mid Range battery and save 3500€... unsure yet, but I think I will skip AWD in any case.

Another interesting information. Although the Long Range Model 3 has 587km of range, this of course depends on speed. From what I've learned, this range is reduced to:

• 472km @120km/h.
  • 330km @150km/h

So even at Autobahn speeds, you still get a very good range. Add a 5 minute charge and you get 20% of charge back (120km).

Will your nice new clean car produce less rubber particles and brake dust particles that usually get washed directly into the water courses than an ICE vehicle does?

10 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

BTW, will order my Tesla Model 3 in April

Congrats! 

Do you know how long it will take to get it?

13 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Will your nice new clean car produce less rubber particles and brake dust particles that usually get washed directly into the water courses than an ICE vehicle does?

Yes, brakes last 4-6 times longer due to regenerative breaking. :p

3 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Congrats! 

Do you know how long it will take to get it?

I said I would order in April because I think in April the long range 2 wheel drive will come to Germany by then. Perhaps only in May. I have a hard time justifying the price difference to the AWD... If it comes only in May, I would say it should arrive by July.

If I went for the AWD currently available, it would probably come in 1-2 months. The web page says "March" delivery, but I don't believe it.

2 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

and rubber?

AWD version releases less rubber. There are of course ICE cars with AWD, so compared to those there is no improvement. But my guess is that it will be more common to have EVs with AWD than ICE cars, as the feature is much cheaper to implement.

48 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

This one is about diesel prohibiton and not your Ego.. 

Tesla is a clean alternative to diesel and has been discussed by many on this thread as well as other alternatives. We get that you hate them, Spidey. Must you keep reminding us?

ETA, I see you have started yet another thread on E cars.