Diesel cars banned in Frankfurt

289 posts in this topic

No.. Not with common rail injection...

Bleeding is required and with my motor, there is a "squeese ball" pump to draw fue from the tank to the fuel filter... 

The pump always retains fuel as its usually lower than the rest of the mechanics

6 minutes ago, Janx Spirit said:

Aldi and other supermarkets also sometimes have one. 

This is where the government should push more.   Something like:

- All supermarkets and shopping centers with private parking places should have some charging stations.  i.e. once charging station for every 30 parking spaces.

- Every big company with private parking space for their employees should have some charging stations.  i.e. one for every 30 parking spaces

And so on.

3 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

I always thought that when a diesel ran out of fuel the injectors had to be bled before it was possible to get it to start again. Is that no longer the case?

Good to know.  So if a diesel car runs out of diesel it needs to be towed AND TAKEN TO A GARAGE.  LoL

(Modern cars are probably already self-bleeding, but what do I know?)

2 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Good to know.  So if a diesel car runs out of diesel it needs to be towed AND TAKEN TO A GARAGE.  LoL

OOOOH....   

4 minutes ago, Janx Spirit said:

Not just SWM ;) 

5c3def54476bd_ETankeDE.jpg.1effc4d9b4928

And it is also becoming increasingly common to find parking garages, hotels and restaurants with charging stations... 

22 minutes ago, Janx Spirit said:

Aldi and other supermarkets also sometimes have one. 

- All supermarkets and shopping centers with private parking places should have some charging stations.  i.e. one charging station for every 30 parking spaces.

- Every big company with private parking space for their employees should have some charging stations.  i.e. one for every 30 parking spaces

And so on.

14 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

I always thought that when a diesel ran out of fuel the injectors had to be bled before it was possible to get it to start again. Is that no longer the case?

50 minutes ago, Krieg said:

- All supermarkets and shopping centers with private parking places should have some charging stations.  i.e. once charging station for every 30 parking spaces.

I don't think that would be anywhere near enough!

Way back over 30 years ago I spent a couple of winters in New England in the USA and recall that just about  every open air long term parking spot (appartments, companies etc) was equipped with a power point so you could connect you car's sump heater (stops the oil freezing up in the very cold weather). How much more difficult would it be to do the same for EV charging here in Europe, come on think big.

9 hours ago, Krieg said:

I love when Germans blatantly lie in order to win an argument and be "correct".

Every LPG driver everywhere will try to minimize their petrol consume and drive as much as possible with LPG because it costs under half of the petrol price.   

Nonsense. As I said the range of the LPG tank (about 540 km) was almost the same as that of the petrol tank. Plus I still had the petrol as a backup. Plus there are lots of LPG stations where I lived. So why would I have to have changed my behaviour when my range actually doubled? Of course, I preferred to drive on LPG but that didn´t necessitate changing my habits.

4 hours ago, Krieg said:

Already happening in Portugal

4 hours ago, Krieg said:

Absolutely agree! I actually thought this was already in place for Germany...unfortunately not.

14 hours ago, jeba said:

Plus there are lots of LPG stations where I lived

As I am sure there are plenty of electric outlets in the place where you live.

Now again, tell me more about LPG in the Autobahn.  Since your major issue with EVs is driving long distance in the Autobahn.  How is the LPG situation in the Autobahn?  Because I myself hate it.    Sometimes you have to drive 100 or 150 km in a MAJOR Autobahn and when you finally find a station with LPG their prices are unacceptable high.

For example, a route I did a lot, coming from Denmark where there is no LPG so your tank most probably will be totally empty, you enter the A7 and you have to drive like 150 km to find the first LPG station in the Autobahn.

And not changing habits due to LPG, come one, do not be such a liar.   I remember the old days pre-smartphone era, when people started communities to build LPG databases so you could put them in your GPS devices and you could find the stations when you were traveling.    I still remember that LPG users preferred to have a GARMIN device because their LPG POI (points of interest) database was more up to date and because it had actually 2 databases, one with all the LPG stations in the country and one with all the ones that were relative close to the Autobahn, so you could go out of your way and do your LPG tourism in order to save some money.

At least with EVs there is clear hope that things will improve because it will be mainstream.  With LPG it will stay like that, a good solution in their time that was only half-ass implemented.