Diesel cars banned in Frankfurt

300 posts in this topic

Mike... What about those that simply cant afford to buy an EV ?

Students... entry-level workers.. the average Joe...  

The average day to day  DERV user has bought diesel as it requires less refueling that a Petrol vehicle... therefor affordable to THEIR  Budget...

BTW, The Jetsons had flying cars way before Back to the future... 

They can wait until low priced cars arrive to the market.   Which might take several years, or a decade.   As I mentioned before, in China there are already sub-$2000 tiny e-cars.   Of course those cars won't pass safety standards in any decent country.  But it will happen, maybe it will take long time, but they will come one day, because fossil oil is limited.

Fuel economy from Diesel is really a poor argument because e-car's fuel economy really destroys ICE's.

And if Diesel gets banned some day, well, Germany is almost the only country in the whole world were Diesel cars are m mega popular as general use cars.  So if the rest of the world managed to survive with benzine cars, I guess we can.

Ok... I pose this challenge to you...

Please find me a vehicle to replace my Peugeot 407 sw....   You have 6 thousand euro to play with.... 

GO ! 

18 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Please find me a vehicle to replace my Peugeot 407 sw...   You have 6 thousand euro to play with... 

GO ! 

How can I know what you like and so on ... and then you want an alternative to something that it is a pretty good bang for your buck.

Anyway:

https://www.autoscout24.de/angebote/ford-mondeo-turnier-1-6-lpg-ti-vct-ambiente-autogas-lpg-blau-c1ae067f-ef5e-6505-e053-e350040a30a5?cldtidx=7

Not a bad find...

But I think with the failing 26 Horsepower, it may just struggle to get me up the hills around here with ladders and load....

Even Autoscout are saying its almost a rip-off price... 

15 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Even Autoscout are saying its almost a rip-off price... 

They are most probably not considering the LPG option, which should have cost half of the current asking price when they did it and it will cut your petrol costs by half.

Anyway, I took me a whole 1 minute to find that car, I guess if I was really looking for a car I would invest like 2000 times more time.

I appreciate you taking time... Thank you...

I have also taken a few minutes and seen a nice Petrol only option, nicely set out... not far away... 

Will probably make plans to test drive it and scan the Motor for faults/Codes with my OBD reader...

How a car from 1971 has only 44.000 KM is really intriguing.   

Probably the meter has only 5 digits and it is in his 4th round, which remind me of Al Bundy.

P.S., Imaging converting it into an e-car.  Pure awesomeness.

1 hour ago, SpiderPig said:

Please find me a vehicle to replace my Peugeot 407 sw...   You have 6 thousand euro to play with..

How about this chap:

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=272077129&categories=EstateCar&damageUnrepaired=NO_DAMAGE_UNREPAIRED&fuels=ELECTRICITY&fuels=HYBRID&fuels=LPG&isSearchRequest=true&maxPrice=6000&minFirstRegistrationDate=2010&pageNumber=2&scopeId=C&sfmr=false&sortOption.sortBy=searchNetGrossPrice&sortOption.sortOrder=ASCENDING&searchId=6017afda-dd70-28e9-0703-470b2f26cc27

Of course, that is going for LPG rather than electro, which may be cheating (and you can't take them on the Eurotunnel). You get even more bang for your buck if you're prepared to go Korean (almost new if you're prepared to go for a reimport Dacia).

I've been looking at a hybrid of sorts myself - I've been wondering if the earlier Lexus 400s are worth a punt. Great performance (the electric motor is just there to boost acceleration), but as soon as the battery dies (the big unknown any time after 8 years), you're left with a two tonne petrol guzzling box. 

1 minute ago, dstanners said:

I've been looking at a hybrid of sorts myself - I've been wondering if the earlier Lexus 400s are worth a punt. Great performance (the electric motor is just there to boost acceleration), but as soon as the battery dies (the big unknown any time after 8 years), you're left with a two tonne petrol guzzling box. 

You never know what it will happen by then, but yes it is still a lottery.

For example the old Prius started to reach the time were batteries might be faulty (not degraded but faulty, it is by nowadays standards, very old technology), and those Prius without the battery are pretty much useless.  But then some companies in USA started to make DIY battery kits for pretty low prices, IIRC for something around $2k.   I remember I watched some YouTube videos about some guys chasing around Prius with broken batteries, fixing them themselves and reselling them for a hefty profit.

3 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Please find me a vehicle to replace my Peugeot 407 sw...   You have 6 thousand euro to play with... 

GO ! 

Have you thought about a TARDIS ? -- https://www.ebay.de/itm/Doctor-Who-1st-First-Doctor-with-electronic-TARDIS/132855040629?hash=item1eeec70a75:g:g6sAAOSwctJb62mf:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

They use solar winds ( as far as I can remember, for power )  - so you never need to tank - saves money

They can travel un-limited distances and unlimited turn up time as well, useful if you need a cup of tea before you set of to the clients place and you have no time.

They have unlimited storage space inside, great for multiple satellite dishes

They can be scaled down to fit in almost any space, avoids parking problems in cities.

and costs less than your budget

2 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Have you thought about a TARDIS ? -- https://www.ebay.de/itm/Doctor-Who-1st-First-Doctor-with-electronic-TARDIS/132855040629?hash=item1eeec70a75:g:g6sAAOSwctJb62mf:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

They use solar winds ( as far as I can remember, for power )  - so you never need to tank - saves money

They can travel un-limited distances and unlimited turn up time as well, useful if you need a cup of tea before you set of to the clients place and you have no time.

They have unlimited storage space inside, great for multiple satellite dishes

They can be scaled down to fit in almost any space, avoids parking problems in cities.

and costs less than your budget

Finally, somebody is being realistic!!

Although, I heard that Parking can be a problem.  As it is too high to fit in most car parking garages!

On 1/10/2019, 10:44:40, MikeMelga said:

As Krieg said.

And notice that I´ve mentioned that on average you only lose at most 15% of capacity over 8 years.

How do you even know Tesla will be around in 8 years?

1 hour ago, wien4ever said:

How do you even know Tesla will be around in 8 years?

Car manufacturers must ensure 10 years of replacement parts.

And by that logic, how can you be sure of any automotive company?

2 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Car manufacturers must ensure 10 years of replacement parts.

And by that logic, how can you be sure of any automotive company?

If Tesla goes bust tomorrow, who is going to provide you with a replacement battery?

If Ford goes bust, I can still buy gasoline.

5 hours ago, wien4ever said:

And filling up with that gasoline won´t take you 20 min or more. Plus you´ll find a petrol station pretty much everywhere. Plus you won´t have to wait until a gasoline pump is vacant.

Until these issues are fixed e-cars are a no-no for me.

8 hours ago, wien4ever said:

If Tesla goes bust tomorrow, who is going to provide you with a replacement battery?

I don't think that is a fair comparison.  

You need to fill up with petrol every 500 -1000km.  You only need to replace the batteries after many years, maybe just once in the lifetime of the car.

And I think that somebody already said that 3pp manufacturers are making batteries for them.  If there is a market somebody will always step in.

9 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

And I think that somebody already said that 3pp manufacturers are making batteries for them.  If there is a market somebody will always step in.

This is true, but tesla market is small - whoever steps in is going to charge a premium.

I'm not against electric. I am crossing my fingers that the whole thing works out. But the more one thinks about it, the more difficult it is to believe the logistics. Hopefully for Tesla it goes the way iPhones did , which is lots of copy cats, and driving the price down even cheaper. I remember I bought the first Samsung smartphone for 388 euros on ebay back in 2010 or so when I wanted something comparable to an iPhone (and I'm stingy with my money like a Schwabian) Now I can buy a smart phone with even better features for only 30 euros.. maybe even less if I look hard enough.