Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Getting British passport for my German/UK child who is 14

24 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, snowingagain said:

My laptop with Windows 7 has lost its cut and paste function and I am too stupid to fix it.  (Tips anyone?)

Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete and click Start Task Manager. Choose the Processes tab, select rdpclip.exe, click End Process, and close Task Manager. Restart the process by clicking Start > Run (just Start in Vista and Win7), typing rdpclip.exe, and pressing Enter

Google is a friend to all ;)

13 hours ago, RedMidge said:

Did you register child's birth  with UK at time of birth?

There is no need to do this, and in fact the UK Government actively discourages this by making the fees high.  It costs something like 150 GBP registration fee + 50 GBP for the certificate + courier fees!

And it doesn't give you any advantage.  As when you first apply for a passport for the child you still need to provide the same amount of evidence and the process is not easier or cheaper.

12 hours ago, snowingagain said:

As far as I am aware, if you are British your son is, and no need to pay anything except the passport fee.  I was told this with my son, born here.  He is not being naturalised, he IS British.  Also for German mixed UK couples I know.  Just try it online and ask.  No need to pay for naturlisation.

Yes, I agree.

13 hours ago, Danger-Mouse said:

Perhaps someone here can help me as I am in a similar situation trying to get british passports for my 3 kids before March. My 2 younger kids should not have a problem even though I realise I am cutting it very fine with the timing. However my 13 year old was born in 2005 before I married his mum. The rules changed afterwards in 2006 which ment it didn't matter but basically he doesn't automatically get my british citizenship because of this. I have written to the HMPO for advice on this but I think they have given me incorrect information. From my own research it should be enough to give them a copy of my marriage cert after his birth to grant him automatic citizenship, however they have now told me I must apply for his citizenship using the UKF form and a process that can take up to 6 months. I am sure this is not the case because even in the form itself it is stated:

"If your parents married after your birth you may already be a British citizen. This will depend on which country’s laws applied to your father at the time of the marriage.Some countries’ laws –including the UK -state that where a child’s parents marry after the child’s birth, the child will be treated as if the parents had been married at the time of the birth. If your parents married after your birthyou may wish to seek the advice of an immigration adviser".

In Germany "marriage by itself after the birth of the child does not serve to legitimate the child. The child’s legitimacy requires the additional legal act of the father’s acknowledgement of paternity", however I have the legal paternity document and my name is on his birth cert.

Also on the gov website when applying for a child's 1st british passport from abroad it only asks for your wedding cert to be included in the supporting documents for a child born before 2006. There is nothing about having to apply with the UKF form. Should I write back to HMPO and challenge the information they have given me? If I have to go through the UKF process it will cost over €1000 and take 6 months and he won't get dual citizenship after brexit, if I can apply for the passport with supporting documents he can get dual citizenship like his siblings and it will only cost the price of a kids passport. Has anyone else had to deal with this issue? Any advice most welcome!

UK Gov website says:

You can’t usually register your child’s birth with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) Overseas Registration Unit. This is because unmarried fathers can’t automatically pass on British nationality to a child born before 1 July 2006.

You may still be able to apply for British citizenship for the child.

I believe that normally if you have married the mother since the birth then it will be OK.  But you will need to also prove the marriage and send the marriage certificate.

Also, don't worry about the timing. 

If the children are either entitled to UK citizenship or not does not change due to Brexit, you are not naturalising them, they already had this citizenship from birth.  You are just applying for a passport for them (and kind of making it more formal).  

16 hours ago, Danger-Mouse said:

Sadly, that is not the case, believe me I have gone over the issue. If your child was born before 2006 and you weren't married at the time, they will not automatically inherit British citizenship by decent. It has to be applied for with the UKF form, however there is a grey area if you got married after the birth (which is my situation). My 2 younger kids born after 2006 do not have this problem, they are automatically British by decent.

Indeed. Your only way is to petition the home office (we had to do that for our daughter, similar situation: German mother, British father, not married, child not born in the UK). However we were told that this was usually just a formality and it was unlikely that there would be any problems. Unfortunately I can't remember which of the many forms we had to fill out (probably one of these:

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/citizenship-application-forms

- so possibly the UKF form). Back when we did it, we were in Britain and our local council actually had a help desk for this. But this was shortly after the law changed in 2006, so I guess the problem was a bit more common then. We never married, so that might not be an issue at all.