Wrist watch care

33 posts in this topic

Hello people,

I have watches which I bought in India. one needs battery replacement and other needs a little servicing/maintenance. Where in Cologne can I make this job done? And what would be the cost? One watch is from Fastrack and the other is Daniel Klien

You can do that in Kaufhof. Battery replacement is €5. Local jewelries do the same, but is usually more expensive.

1 hour ago, LukeSkywalker said:

You can do that in Kaufhof. Battery replacement is €5. Local jewelries do the same, but is usually more expensive.

Do they do service also? One of my friends told me about Mister Minit. Is it expensive there?

7 minutes ago, AnuSid said:

Do they do service also? One of my friends told me about Mister Minit. Is it expensive there?

Yes, they also do service, but they send it away for deeper repairs. I had a 3rd dial hand fall off one of my automatics and they repaired it for €50.

5 minutes ago, AnuSid said:

No, it's not expensive (battery change) but they don't do the service/maintenance, they are not watchmakers. For a service ask either the folks at Kaufhof or a local jewelry/watchmaker. Ask for the price before (!) before you place an order. I've never heard of "Daniel Klien" watches ... 

1 minute ago, AlexTr said:

Yes, they also do service, but they send it away for deeper repairs. I had a 3rd dial hand fall off one of my automatics and they repaired it for €50.

50euro is at  Mister Minit? expensive!!

1 minute ago, someonesdaughter said:

No, it's not expensive (battery change) but they don't do the service/maintenance, they are not watchmakers. For a service ask either the folks at Kaufhof or a local jewelry/watchmaker. Ask for the price before (!) before you place an order. I've never heard of "Daniel Klien" watches ... 

thank you for the reply... That brand watch was a gift :)

1 minute ago, AnuSid said:

:) It's a five dial automatic watch with moonphase. Also, I was talking about Galeria. So, I guess I should clarify.

Just now, AlexTr said:

:) It's a five dial automatic watch with moonphase. Also, I was talking about Galeria. So, I guess I should clarify.

oh okay :)

4 minutes ago, AnuSid said:

Ehm ... service for my Nomos Tangente (at the manufacturer) costs 245€. When it comes to watches, "expensive" is relative.. ;) 

1 minute ago, someonesdaughter said:

Ehm ... service for my Nomos Tangente (at the manufacturer) costs 245€. When it comes to watches, "expensive" is relative.. ;) 

:unsure: 

1 hour ago, someonesdaughter said:

I have the same, I've bought an old car for less than I paid for the watch service but any quality Swiss watch will be expensive but worth it. As for others, often it's cheaper just to buy a new one.

Nice thread, thanks.

I'm currently looking around and considering a real watch, you know, one of those automatic non-quartz things from Switzerland.

At the moment I have my beady eye on either a Maurice Lacroix which is in a sale reduced by 30% to around €1300 also after my staff discount (the normal price is around €2K) or I've also looked at a couple of Frederique Constant at around €1K.

Anyone have any experience with these marques?

Also they'd require a so-called small service at 2-3 years and a main service at 5-6y, anyone know what these services would typically cost?

Thanks in advance,

Malty.

Had my Oris, Swiss made automatic serviced last year, shipped to the Oris service centre in Germany, returned looking like new and that cost about 350 Euros. I suspect any quality Swiss watch would cost around  the same. Any of the well know brands such as Breitling or Tag Heur possibly could be more because of the desire, image and brand awareness built up around the brand.

Who needs a watch like this? Only people with more money than sense, IMHO. We are surrounded with ways to tell the time, aren't we?

I totally agree. It's a waste of money buying an expensive watch, they don't go any faster than a cheap one.

10 hours ago, Acton said:

Who needs a watch like this? Only people with more money than sense, IMHO. We are surrounded with ways to tell the time, aren't we?

Why do some people buy a more expensive car, a bigger house, expensive clothes, etc? It's "better" in some way, just a status symbol, compensation, or just because why not if one can afford it (or even if one can't). Live and let live

Generalising, but for the guys, it's got an aspect a bit like jewelry perhaps.   One sort of glitzy body adornment piece it is more socially acceptable for men to wear.   Unless your first name is Cristiano, you probably won't be routinely wearing the sort of shiny sparkly stuff in your ears or on your fingers or round your neck like we ladies do.   The wrist is where the gents' action is.

I went through a phase (I mean a couple decades) of "but the time is everywhere" but now I too have a statement watch and very good it is too :).   So good I also bought some cheaper but stylish ones and I wear them too.

Who needs a car?  I've not got one, and a watch is dirt cheap in comparison.    Plenty of ways to travel and transport things.   And so on.

And of course.  You keep them.  I saw the musician Johnny Rzeznik recently note that he looks after his expensive sunglasses, while you tend not to bother with the $10 ones.