Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Clothes washing services in Frankfurt

10 posts in this topic

As a single bloke living in Frankfurt, the last thing i want to be doing is the washing and ironing. Before anyone asks, my cleaner doesnt like ironing either.

In other countries i spend a lot of time in i would gather the washing in a bin liner, wander round the corner drop it off and get it washed and ironed by the next day. in fact i did that only last week :-)

In other words a service wash.

1. Does this sort of thing exist in Frankfurt

and

2. Even better, does anyone do a collection and delivery service ? The cleaner doesnt mind being around for handing things over, collecting, paying them.

Thanks for any help.

Nigel

Sounds to me like you`ve come to the wrong country! *service* wash! This is not a service-oriented country.

I havent come across anywhere that offers a real full "service wash" in all the 15 years Ive lived here. There are also very few laundrettes in Frankfurt. Partly because most people have washing machines at home, or in some cases provided by the landlord in the basement for the whole building.

However there are "Reinigung", sometimes called "Vollreinigung" outlets. These offer things like a shirt wash and iron service, trouser and jacket cleaning etc. You bring your shirts to the shop and they will be washed, ironed and parceled for you to collect. Just dont expect same day service, or 2 hour or 4-hour cleaning. Ive never come across that here.

Dry cleaners in Germany are one of my pet hates. If I had my way Id have them all shot. They are rude, offhand - and often even expect "Vorkasse" - payment in advance. And Ive tried several different ones here. There are a couple of cleaners right near me, Ive tried both of them. Both have rude staff - and who also smoke in the shop - great for the freshly clean clothes, very thoughtful of them. I dont go to them anymore, I prefer to travel further away with my dry cleaning to another shop - where the service there is also nothing to write home about.

There is one called "Röver". Silly name, I believe its a chain or franchise. Anyway theres a Röver in Sachsenhausen, which is even open til 4pm on saturdays. Such service - the others close at 12 noon on saturdays - since it suits them best, even if it doesnt suit the customer.

But the S-hausen Röver is run by *non-germans*, and so for that reason I am thinking of giving them a try. I suspect the service might therefore just be a tad politer. Ive had enough of german shop rudery. Lets bring in the foreigners and get some service in this servicewüsteland!!

End of rant.

I am not sure where you live in Frankfurt - we are in Westend and there is one on Telemann Str, just before it crosses with Grünebergweg. I think it is called Michael's. But no, you won't get same day service!

after 10 years, i would be amazed to find anything close to what i want. In fact, i had got so used to the lack of anything that it was only spending so long overseas this year that it occured to me what i was missing !

Nearest landmark would be eschersheimer turm.

really would like delivery and colection service as carrying washing around is a pain. I do have a washing machine, tumble dryer, ironing board, iron and plasma TV if there are volunteers for this sort of thing... :-)

the problem with the dry cleaners is that it turns out very expensive for t-shirts, polo shirts, jeans etc. work clothes ok. still a problem carrying them though :(

For dry cleaning I normally go to

Kleiderkur Textilreinigung

Berger Str. 53

60316 Frankfurt

Telefon: (069) 433231

And have seen many people take their shirts in there to be washed and ironed.

Luckily I have a cleaner willing to do my ironing.

Although I can iron shirts myself, but before anyone asks my charges are very high. :lol:

I never iron shirts. But thats because I only buy iron-free shirts and so dont need to.

I agree when it comes washing and drying you are just shit out of luck, There are very very few Laundromats, mostly in large citys. I know of 2 places in Munich that will wash and dry your clothes (cloth hess as the Germans say) but that won't help you much, Dry Cleaners charge a fortune to press anything, best bet is to try and find a shop that specializes in ironing (das Bügeln) and see if you can get a bulk deal. Alternatively is to find someone to hire for that. My Aunt had a cleaning lady come in every day and on of her jobs was the wash.

I considered ironing a top on Saturday but hanging it on the back of a chair for a few hours seemed to do the trick :P My idea of ironing is to do it only when really necessary and then obviously five minutes before leaving the house. Then five minutes after I have left I go back to check I have unplugged the stupid iron!

This does not help you I know!

Could you not ask your cleaner if she knows of anybody willing to come and do a bit of ironing for you if you wash and dry the things yourself? Other than that I know the dry cleaners by me does shirts for 1,50€ each it would get expensive for everything though you are right!

Anyone fancy opening up a serviced launderette in Frankfurt? I reckon you could make a decent living. Maybe even clean up.

Plasma TV?? Hmmm... if you get American football at your place, I might be convinced to do your ironing, as long as you don't mind me drinking all your beer and shouting/ throwing things at your TV on Sunday nights.