Cat lovers- My cat in Munich may need a new home

11 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,
As much as I am sad to write it all here, I think here are some awesome colleagues to suggest some help.

I adopted a young cat 2 years ago from his strange, sort of abandoned situation and brought him to Munich with me. His awesome personality never let me think of re-homing him.

I am now caught up in a sticky situation as I have to move from Munich to another city end of September where I am supposed to travel a lot in a 6 months job at hand. The residence has to be company's where pets are not allowed. So the unthinkable situation- should I re-home my cat? Is there another lovable person/ family who is genuinely interested in adopting my cat?

A quick description of Sparta, the fun-lover:

-Male tabby, 3 years old, treated, vaccinated, microchipped, no medical or diet issues.
-Strictly outdoor cat but routinely comes back several times a day- He needs a permanent access outside (day and night) to safer garden with a home on ground floor which is atleast away from major streets. I even have a GPS-based collar to keep a track of him from time to time.

-Playful personality, extremely human-friendly. He prefers a solitary, wandering life though so he should be the only animal in the house.

I have provided him with all of the above and his belongings would move to the new parents if adoption is imminent (cat smart flap for window access, a GPS-based collar, cat-tree, water fountain, carry box, etc).

Still, I am trying to find a way to keep him, but its less than a month left and I am keeping all options open to not end up without a solution, so I look forward to your suggestions, offer of adoption and welcoming approach. Below is a glimpse of the precious.

Sparta.JPG

I normally openly dislike people who want to move and not take their beloved family members with them, but I kind of understand your situation and hope you find a new loving home for him soon.

I'd offer to help but sadly my dear Shoshanna doesn't get on with male cats very well and I don't want to upset the harmony of her home.

Good luck,

Malty

Edit: PS he looks gorgious!

13 minutes ago, Malt-Teaser said:

Hey, thanks for your concern.

I have that feeling too. I gave up a residence from current job to rent an apartment only so the place could suit to him in these years. I would do that again, the problem is that I could only manage a 6 months contract in the city I am moving to and no one is willing to provide a private residence for such a short time, that too with a pet. Then the situation of traveling with job is another thing. A suitable apartment where I myself can keep him is still the happiest solution for me.

Yes, he is gorgeous and elegant as well :)

Do you know what you will be doing after those six months? If you have a home for him afterward, maybe you could find a foster home for him for those six months. An animal shelter might have suggestions of people who would be willing to keep him for a while. I know some rescue organisations home animals temporarily. That way you could get him back when your situation changes. 

This from a dog owner who would be heartbroken to have to make the decision you have to make right now.  

@bramble Do you maybe know of someone who could help SumJ with his cat Sparta? 

@SumJ, if you are coming back and would like to re-unite with Sparta, maybe all you need is to contact a local Tierheim and ask them about how to find a foster home for Sparta. There are also Tierpension, but that can get quite expensive, here is one that costs 13 Euros a day in the Munich area: https://katzenpension-muenchen.de/5/start just as an example. 

if he were indoor-only I'd take him :/

I have a garden but every "innenhof cat" around here seems to last a year or two max before they get nailed by a car or otherwise disappear.

2 hours ago, maxie said:

Thanks Maxie, cybil and lisa13.

I don't think of tierheim as great option, I think they are loaded with abandoned/rescue issues and in this case it will just be passing on a problem to them. But I will ask them for foster home.

For Katzepension, I always use Riffenthal- https://www.hunde-und-katzenpension-riffenthal.de/pages/de/willkommen.php

Its great, outside the city and has some restricted garden access area too for outdoor cats.

Yes, after 6 months I might stay longer if I find/  could prolong the work, so temporary foster is also an option.

About streets, Sparta actually goes as far as 500 meters away at night, crossing big streets (I know through GPS tracking). Initially it scared me too but he is big and smart about streets, when to go and all although there is always a danger.

I will keep the forum updated, thanks a lot for your suggestions.

2 hours ago, maxie said:

7 hours ago, cybil said:

@bramble Do you maybe know of someone who could help SumJ with his cat Sparta? 

I'm afraid not. The Katzenschutzbund I am a member of are constantly sending e-mail messages of similar content - so many cats looking for new homes. Even I as a cat lover couldn't welcome a new cat into my home as one of my resident cats (Maja - 15 years old) doesn't tolerate newcomers well. She reacts with repeated spraying/marking in the home, which has remarkably stopped since Dascha - one of my other cats - died almost 2 years ago. I now have only 2 resident cats left - Maxi 14 and Maja 15 years old. I used to have 5 - all with access to outdoors. As long as Maja lives there will be no other cats welcome here. It's her choice, not mine. The message is clear - some cats are just not very social. And it's such a relief that she no longer sprays indoors. 

I hope SumJ manages to find a good place for Sparta soon - he's a really handsome cat. 

@SumJ  can you give us an undate of how things are going with finding a place for Sparta? Wishing you both all the best!

On 9/19/2018, 4:10:37, cybil said:

@SumJ  can you give us an undate of how things are going with finding a place for Sparta? Wishing you both all the best!

Hi cybil,

Sorry a lot happened and I have been less on here. Sparta is with me, I rented my own place temporarily instead of company’s offer. He is doing well and I would be rehoming him only if he is stressed from staying in pensions with my travel and if job situation couldn’t be clear for later next year. Hopefully all settles well soon :)