Moving to Lübeck from South Africa

4 posts in this topic

I currently live in South Africa and work for a company designing shipping software for dry bulk carriers across the globe. My wife is an English Teacher at a prestigious all girl school in the Western Cape. I recently received a very attractive job offer from a world renowned shipping company based in Lübeck and Hamburg. We are looking into accepting the offer, but we have to consider all possibilities, i.e. what opportunities there are for my wife in teaching, etc.

Any advise from fellow TT'ers?

Hi,

as I work in Shipping software in Hamburg and I know what company you mean, check your PM :D 

Cheers,

Alex

There are plenty of people who try to freelance as English teachers.  Some say the market is saturated, others say if you find your niche, you can make good money.  Dress up nice and teach courses at companies for example.  If she wants to teach school kids, I'm sure she'd need some paperwork for that but I have no idea how to get that.  There's some info in German here: https://www.anerkennung-in-deutschland.de/html/de/lehrerinnen-lehrer.php

Another one she can do without qualifications or while she works on getting qualifications would be to tutor kids privately.

57 minutes ago, dezluan said:

what opportunities there are for my wife in teaching, etc.

What formal qualifications does your wife have? How well does she speak German?