Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rental car not collected but still charged...

8 posts in this topic

So.. Heres the situation... 

Bro-in-law booked a Sixt car online for collection at Frankfurt international airport.. 

Used Credit card to book and ordered the Sixt Remote key collection  ( Not sure what its called, but you rock up, put CC into machine and it spits out the key)

Rewind to 5 hrs earlier... 

All checked in and through the security... Then emergency situation and the Terminal was evacuated... 

Flights delayed etc etc...

Flight arrives in FFM at 2315 ish... takes an hour to get from the apron to the Building and collect bags... Straight to Sixt and their office/Collection point is closed...

So, off they pootle to Enterprise car rental and get in the queue thats full of pissed off Sixt clients who couldnt get the car... 

Today, he looks at the contract and Sixt say that an uncollected car will be charged for in full... 

My arguement would be that Sixt were aware they had clients arriving on delayed flights, so they should have stayed and accomodated the clients etc etc

So... is there any way that they can claim back the lost fees from the Airline? The Airport in the UK or is it a case of "put on your big boys trousers and suck it up?"

If they want to see you and him again they will not charge for this. Boycott them for ever and a day if they do. Wouldn't bother presenting arguments or worrying about how they recoup their losses. Not your job. They have what is known as commercial risk. BIL should get on the phone and bug the same person for as long as it takes to get his money back. Just do the broken record with a short sweet message. Circs beyond his control of which they were aware and he wants his money back. He will presumably not be the only one. Good luck tho'.

56 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

( Not sure what its called, but you rock up, put CC into machine and it spits out the key)

I'm not sure if he has a legal leg to stand on here, aside from passing the claim on to the airline (due to the delayed flight) or the airport (due to the general security clusterfuck).

I don't understand the logic behind locking up the key-dispensing machine, however. What's the point of having a dispensing machine for after-hours pickup if you're going to put it behind locked doors when the office isn't staffed?

As optimista mentioned, you could refer to the extraordinary nature of the incident and appeal to their goodwill, but it will be entirely up to their discretion. They won't give a single fuck about your one-person boycott, nor will they hesitate to pass an unpaid debt on to a collection agency.

Best of luck, Spidey.

23 minutes ago, optimista said:

Boycott them for ever and a day if they do.

...except that car rental companies compete for the worst behaviour. If there were one which didn't go out of its way to rip you off given the slightest opportunity, wouldn't we all be using it?

if the flight / car was booked as a bundle, then  you have a case

if flight / car were booked separately then you have not got a leg to stand on

sorry for your loss

of course you can always argue the toss, but you will need a lot of luck to win this one 

packages can be more expensive, but then you get protection/insurance for this kinda stuff happening

On 27/08/2018, 11:10:18, deadsoul said:

...except that car rental companies compete for the worst behaviour. If there were one which didn't go out of its way to rip you off given the slightest opportunity, wouldn't we all be using it?

Ain't that the truth. I think everyone has their own horror stories... I have to say my last time with Hertz in Girona/Barcelona was relatively painfree, though.

When it comes to damages, apparently it's sort of routine to send a 'you broke it' letter to the last several renters just to see who coughs up or confesses. A Sixt manager admitted as much to me after I complained following one such letter...