Austria road tolls

15 posts in this topic

I know that I have to get the general vignette before crossing into Austria, but for the extra tolls, like for tunnels, is there generally a long wait? Is it possible to get these stickers at the same place I get the vignette? I'll be driving through Katschbergtunnel in a few days.

You can get the vignette  at all ADAC offices, before you set up, or at most petrol station on the motorway, while under way. Depending on length of trip ( and other planned trips ), it may be cheaper to buy a vignette for your outward trip and inboard trip.

You can also buy it online as well.

from

http://www.karawankentunnel.de/katschbergtunnel-maut.html

it looks like you will pay 11 euro for your trip through the tunnel, each way, if you transport is less than 3.5 tones. You will pay the toll at the tunnel.

Traffic jams, that might occur will generally depend on the time you arrive tunnel, ie 3am morning, there will be no traffic jams, midday on a busy Saturday there could be. I would use Google maps traffic display, to see what traffic is at the tunnel, either just before you get there or just before you leave Germany, depending on what contract you have with your mobile telephone supplier.

I've driven over the Brenner pass and through Felbertauerntunnel many, many times over the years and I've never had to wait more than a minute or two at the toll booths. They're very quick and efficient.

The tolls only take a minute. What car did you go for in the end? Something to take a decent spin in the mountain passes?

I think they make it purposely opaque or unclear that for the Brenner highway you don't need a vignette.

You have to pay the toll of course for the Brenner, but you can get to and on and off the Brenner pass highway through non vignette roads.

I have asked several police people, about this

The bit between Patsch and the Europa bridge, you need the Austrian vignette, because this is not part of the Brenner toll area.

So if you want to drive quickly between Austria and Italy you have to buy both the vignette and the Brenner charge.

Of course, you can use the free Brenner road ( in the valley )  and other roads free roads in Austria to get around this but it will take longer... and not pay anything.

I did this ( take the free road ), the weekend before last and in May, because the radio said that there was at least a half-an-hour wait at the toll booth to get on to the Brenner.

I get the impression that the original OP, is not going on the Brenner anyway, if he/she wants to use the  Katschbergtunnel, then I would think he/she is going to Croatia.

4 hours ago, yesterday said:

you can buy online in English the motorway toll and the Katschbergtunnel toll, at the following web address

https://www.asfinag.at/toll/vignette/digital-vignette/online-shop/

If I use this site do I have to wait for something in the mail, or does it just register my plate number and I can print a receipt immediately? I don't have enough time now to wait for the post.

4 hours ago, dstanners said:

The tolls only take a minute. What car did you go for in the end? Something to take a decent spin in the mountain passes?

I ended up with a Seat Leon FR, but when the whole family goes we pile into the S-Max.

59 minutes ago, AlexCLE said:

If I use this site do I have to wait for something in the mail, or does it just register my plate number and I can print a receipt immediately? I don't have enough time now to wait for the post.

I ended up with a Seat Leon FR, but when the whole family goes we pile into the S-Max.

yeah, not really sure, I did not use it yet ( I will try it next time ),  but I thought it would work in this way :-

You buy your ticket, by registering your number plate on their system and paying, for certain dates, when you drive in Austria the camera will pick up your car, it will realize you have no vignette, then it will check  whether you paid or not - from the online registration.

I guess when you pay they send electronic notification of payment and dates to settle any disputes.  

As said you can but it, the day before you set off from the ADAC shop or petrol stations just before you get to Austria. If you do this make sure the  is vignette is stamped ( friend of mine bought one that was not stamped so he police did him ), also it has to be placed either in the middle or drivers side front window at the top.

17 hours ago, AlexCLE said:

From the site:

"As a consumer, you can use the digital vignette or the digital section toll annual card at the earliest 18 days after your purchase. If you are a business, you can use the digital Vignette or the digital section toll annual card immediately. "

Yeah I noticed that for the general vignette the earliest validity date is weeks ahead, so I'll have to get it before the border. It's the same if you select "annual" for a local toll pass but if you just click 1-trip or 2-trip then I think it's valid immediately. " I request the immediate use of a single trip and confirm that I cannot (any longer) revoke the payment after the start of the single trip. "

On 8/23/2018, 9:58:21, El Jeffo said:

I've driven over the Brenner pass and through Felbertauerntunnel many, many times over the years and I've never had to wait more than a minute or two at the toll booths. They're very quick and efficient.

You might only have to wait a minute at the Brenner tollbooth but you will probably have to wait a hell of a lot more time in the traffic jam waiting to get to the tollbooth - at least from the Italian side. After doing this a few times I try to avoid the Brenner.

25 minutes ago, Jonny said:

You might only have to wait a minute at the Brenner tollbooth but you will probably have to wait a hell of a lot more time in the traffic jam waiting to get to the tollbooth - at least from the Italian side. After doing this a few times I try to avoid the Brenner.

Nope. Maybe we've been lucky - which is odd, given that we always travel over winter vacation, together with what seems like half of Europe - but we've never been stuck in a traffic jam around the Brenner toll booths on either side. We always get reamed on the A99 around Munich and have to deal with heavy traffic on the A9 all the way back to Berlin (it took us 16 hours to get home a couple of years ago, but that was because a heavy truck crashed and the A9 had to be closed completely), but we've never had any problems with the Brenner.

I ended up buying the pass through the ASFINAG website but the traffic at the toll booths wasn't too bad. However, it was really heavy in other parts through Austria and Italy. Most of the cars were from Germany so it was a lot of vacation traffic. We lost probably 3 hours because of this. At least the vacation itself was great, so it made up for the terrible drives.