Should I quit my job or should I get fired

54 posts in this topic

Thanks for sharing, Auntie. I'm sure you did the right thing for you and that is all that matters.

What Tap said.

31 minutes ago, Auntie Helen said:

After I made my decision to resign about a week ago, and after actually doing it yesterday, my heart has really lifted and I feel so much better. I will miss my colleagues but I won’t miss the stress. I am still doing job applications but would quite like a couple of months off to really have a chance to get better - and hopefully to visit my Mum in England when Corona allows.

Thank you all for the comments and advice, I read and thought about all options as a result.

If you are on ALG1, you have to be available to the job market.

If you are sick and still not recovered, I think the rentenversicherung has to then step in and pay and not the Agentur.

I am available for the job market, and am doing applications regularly, but if the right job doesn’t come along in the first couple of months that won’t be a bad thing. If it does, then I will go for it happily. 

Thank you for the update and congratulations on getting out of there. 

This: 

1 hour ago, Auntie Helen said:

After I made my decision to resign about a week ago, and after actually doing it yesterday, my heart has really lifted and I feel so much better.

means that you did everything right and it was the best move for you. 

Good luck in your job search. Depending on how specialized your field is, could it make sense for you to to talk to a recruiter? 

7 hours ago, Auntie Helen said:

I am available for the job market, and am doing applications regularly, but if the right job doesn’t come along in the first couple of months that won’t be a bad thing. If it does, then I will go for it happily. 

Don't let that sourpuss mess up your happiness for you!

You took control of your life - your gut feeling / your heart is telling you you did the right thing.

21 hours ago, Auntie Helen said:

From my own experience of receiving ALG1 in two different places I can say that the Arbeitsamt were not very pushy at all. In fact, I tried to get more out of them. They were happy if I applied to 1-2 jobs per week. They now and again sent some offers that I should apply for but I could turn them down by giving any half arsed reason and proof that I am applying to other jobs.

You 100% did the right thing. Health and happiness comes first. We are lucky to live in one of the most developed countries in the world. We should use that opportunity to ensure that we are happy, healthy and productive individuals. You only get one life. You will never ever regret quitting a job. You will only regret not trying something else.

So glad you had the strength to get up and go - I really need to, but after so long with the one company, I sort of feel that I can´t do anything else, if you see what I mean?

Nice to hear that you got time off for your wedding - CONGRATULATIONS!!!

35 minutes ago, Auntie Helen said:

I just wanted to update everyone.

I did indeed resign (as mentioned above) and got the doctor to complete a form for me that I had needed to resign for health grounds. I wasn't sure if the Agentur für Arbeit would agree with this but they did and I got Arbeitslosigkeitgeld from the first month.

My Zeugnis was written by my colleague who resigned three days after me and is a super-glowing one - well, I was a good employee! 

I did about 10 job applications and had two interviews. After the first interview I was invited for a Probetag but felt before I went that this wouldn't be a good move for me - which was confirmed at the Probetag. I politely told them that I didn't think I would fit that role and we parted on good terms.

The second job was something I had randomly seen in the local paper (which I don't usually read) and I thought it was exactly my thing. I was invited for interview which went really well, and then I was called back for a second interview which was just to meet the company boss. After 10 minutes he said the job was mine.

I started working there a month later (they had a start date mid-August due to holidays of the people training me before that) and so I have now been there 5 weeks, but with a day off after two weeks for my wedding! It's going really well and it was so definitely the right move. It's so refreshing to not have that heavy feeling of responsibility the whole time when working - and they seem very happy with my performance. The job is currently 4 hours per day but will increase to 5 hours in due course; I was working 5 hours before. The pay is not quite as good but will be reviewed after a year. I received 6 weeks of Arbeitslosigkeitgeld which tided me over.

So it's such a relief to have made the move. I work in a company where 8 of the 9 office workers are part time (so they have a good part-time culture) and we are all over 45 years old, which suggests they like maturity. So I fit in as a 50 year old. One difference is German is spoken the whole time - at my last company people liked me speaking English so they could practice their comprehension. Old company was a food production facility, new one makes candles so it's different terminology but the same underlying structures.

So happy days - plus recent newlywed of course!

Newlywed is great! Congratulations!👍 Did you do it right? Rich, handsome etc? You surely deserve a life of luxury!👍😄

Of course - I found a rich, handsome German who has affection for this British lady and doesn’t mind the Union Jack cushions on our sofa…

3 minutes ago, Auntie Helen said:

Of course - I found a rich, handsome German who has affection for this British lady and doesn’t mind the Union Jack cushions on our sofa…

- a woman of good taste! :D

Brilliant! I am happy for you! You did everything right, confirmed by the fact your colleague left right after you.

Good on him writing your Zeugnis!

And good on your hubby for being so supportive!

Congratulations on your wedding and the new job. 

It sounds like a great fit. 

And thank you for the update. It's always lovely to hear when people can solve their problems and end up happier. Also an encouragement to anyone who is in the same situation and reads this thread.