Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Noise pollution where the source is unknown

34 posts in this topic

On 8/20/2018, 4:23:05, swimmer said:

This is all true and I often hear things like distant football crowds but normally earplugs would solve that sort of noise - exactly one thing they are for -  and rock concerts and football matches and Grand Prix and the rest are not allowed in the middle of the night anyway, for just that reason of being too noisy at night.

I wish! You obviously don't live any where near a nightclub or a river. Clubs and party boats play music, very loudly, until all hours of the morning.

Agree with some other comments-  this is Summer, windows open, music, concerts, etc till late. Amazing how sound carries a far distance. If you are near water-

this is treble the distance!

5 hours ago, lisa13 said:

maybe, but that doesn't stop your suggestion from coming across as shockingly ignorant and tone deaf, at best.  I suspect you have never encountered anyone who actually suffers from schizophrenia to have even the slightest inkling of the difficulty people with such a severe disorder face?  "you're hearing things?  maybe you're schizophrenic" is so...ugh.  It's actually stomach turning.  I just don't have words.

visit a psych ward or treatment center sometime if you have any doubts about how obnoxious a statement like yours is.  "Well meaning" or not

I have extensive experience with the mentally ill and persons with schizophrenia; thanks

On 8/21/2018, 2:15:53, lisa13 said:

maybe, but that doesn't stop your suggestion from coming across as shockingly ignorant and tone deaf, at best.  I suspect you have never encountered anyone who actually suffers from schizophrenia to have even the slightest inkling of the difficulty people with such a severe disorder face?  "you're hearing things?  maybe you're schizophrenic" is so...ugh.  It's actually stomach turning.  I just don't have words.

visit a psych ward or treatment center sometime if you have any doubts about how obnoxious a statement like yours is.  "Well meaning" or not

I have extensive experience with the mentally ill and persons with schizophrenia; t

21 hours ago, lisa13 said:

Sorry but I don't believe that for one minute.  thanks.

Whatever makes you feel good. 

Update! 

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

I found the source of one of the music. The other one is coming from the industrial area (I already theorized it could be basic industry noise, so I didn't bother looking into it, plus it doesn't bother me half as much), but the one that's constantly waking me up at five in the morning is coming from downstairs. I thought it'd be from the industry area because that's how it sounds from my apt (weird, I guess,but that's acoustics for you - small studio apt). Someone's using it as a band studio or something. It probably bothers my neighbours more than it bothers me, and I think I'm actually really curious what the end product would be, because it does sound pretty epic on certain days.

Also explains why my wall sometimes vibrates, and the pipes, too.

I'm not sure what to do, because prior to this he wasn't really the only one who's loud here, so... ??? I have no idea if complaining would make things worse. Plus, I actually like this music, and if I had to choose between other forms of noise pollution and this, I'd choose this.

What'd be the right thing to do??

On 8/21/2018, 5:16:03, skadi said:

I wish! You obviously don't live any where near a nightclub or a river. Clubs and party boats play music, very loudly, until all hours of the morning.

Yikes! I'm glad I don't live near one... Though there's one opening in the area soon. I need to look it up. 

Though the industriegebiet is just right nearby, it's still considered a mischgebiet... Right???

18 hours ago, washingtub said:

What'd be the right thing to do??

Maybe go downstairs, tell them of your plight and ask how you can both work it out so everybody wins?  

On 8/23/2018, 4:19:08, catjones said:

Maybe go downstairs, tell them of your plight and ask how you can both work it out so everybody wins? 

Sorry to say this, but from experience, that's usually the worst course of action - if they actually care about other people, they won't be playing music so loudly that someone from 3 stories above would hear them in the wee hours of the morning.

The source of the music from the industrial area could  be a radio playing during the nightshift. Now that the weather is turning cooler, this could become less noticeable if doors and windows are kept shut at night.

14 hours ago, washingtub said:

Sorry to say this, but from experience, that's usually the worst course of action - if they actually care about other people, they won't be playing music so loudly that someone from 3 stories above would hear them in the wee hours of the morning.

It's an industrial area, not residential.  For all we know, they may be renting the space for rehearsals, like bands do in industrial spaces.

On 8/23/2018, 4:19:08, catjones said:

18 hours ago, washingtub said:

I don't agree.

We also rent a band practice room in an industrial area, and the landlord is very much about keeping the windows closed and not antagonizing the offices etc. around us. However, we wouldn't even notice if the sound travels through the walls unless somebody told us.

If a tenant were to talk to us about noise, we definitely would try to work things out!

Google Amt für öffentliche Ordnung in your Federal State or town. They are responsible for things like noise prevention. 

They sometimes go under the name of Ordnungsamt.

On 8/26/2018, 12:26:17, pmd said:

The source of the music from the industrial area could  be a radio playing during the nightshift. Now that the weather is turning cooler, this could become less noticeable if doors and windows are kept shut at night.

This was my first thought. OP, is there a 24x7 operation going on in the industrial area?