Broadband Internet at home without minimum contracts

35 posts in this topic

The Dslam at the roadside is capable of 100mbps... but the line has a capacity of 13.7mbps... 

If you call and complain.. it will probably only result in them downgrading your tarif to DSL16 or maybe DSL 25...

Heres mine...

telekomdsl.png

26 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

The Dslam at the roadside is capable of 100mbps... but the line has a capacity of 13.7mbps... 

If you call and complain.. it will probably only result in them downgrading your tarif to DSL16 or maybe DSL 25...

Heres mine...

telekomdsl.png

So it is not the internal wiring in the house?

Possible... but unlikely...

If there were any resistors or resistance on the line.. the modem wouldnt sync or it would regullarly break connection..

But you dont seem to have that problem.

I myself thinking of going with Easy Bell for the short term commitment 

right now I have Vodafone 400mb speed works great even if sometimes I get only 30 :D

but easy just offer 100mb, will this be enough ?

1und 1 offer 250mb but again 3 months notice etc 

On 11.1.2019, 11:50:24, lewton said:

Telekom offers 100Mbps at my address, I would have never ordered from 1&1 something that Telekom does not offer me. 

These are the screnshots.

fritz stats.png

Yeah, it's the non-vectored fallback profile like I suspected ("G.Vector" is "aus" instead of "full", spectrum abruptly ends at 2.2 MHz). Check wiring, check for multiple phone sockets. Ideally there's only one phone socket (TAE) and exactly two wires coming from the APL. Deconnect any superfluous wires. (But the fault could also be on the Telekom side.)

https://www.router-faq.de/?id=haus&haus=hparallel

("falsch" = "wrong", "richtig" = "correct")

Both those links are out of date..

No ISP offers a service that requires a splitter...   and NTBA are also a thing of the past from telekom ...

Everything these days is VOIP based and as long as your router syncs... there is NO house cabling fault... 

IF an alalogue phone is connected to a TAE socket anywhere on the line, DSL will not sync...

As the system Diagnosise shows, The line is released upto 17Mbps... 

Either Telekom cant release more or they have Restricted/Throttled the line.

Call Telekom... sásk for the line to be opened up for more bandwidth... tell then you see the DSLAM has a capabillity of xyzMbps and that what you would like to get!

23 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Both those links are out of date..

No ISP offers a service that requires a splitter... 

Yeah, just ignore the splitter part. The rest of the information remains valid.

and NTBA are also a thing of the past from telekom ..

Not yet, know people who are still on ISDN. But in 1 or 2 years it might be over ...

Everything these days is VOIP based and as long as your router syncs... there is NO house cabling fault... 

Wrong.

IF an alalogue phone is connected to a TAE socket anywhere on the line, DSL will not sync...

If the TAE socket has been wired the "official" way (i.e. pin 1+2 in, pin 5+6 out) and a phone is connected and the DSL router is on a TAE socket further behind in the line that is true. But that's not what I'm talking about.

As the system Diagnosise shows, The line is released upto 17Mbps... 

Either Telekom cant release more or they have Restricted/Throttled the line.

Like I already explained it's the fallback profile without vectoring. It's foremost intended for VDSL2 modems which don't know Vectoring so they don't interfere with the Vectoring of the neighbors (up to 35 MHz). That's why the spectrum abruptly cuts at 2.2 MHz (like ADSL2+ although it is VDSL2). But this fallback profile also activates sometimes with faulty lines.

Call Telekom... sásk for the line to be opened up for more bandwidth... tell then you see the DSLAM has a capabillity of xyzMbps and that what you would like to get!

He's with 1&1, can't call Telekom.

User murphaph also had a similar problem. 100 Mbit/s but fell into the fallback profile. There were 4 wires from APL to TAE. This caused a reflection. As soon as he disconnected PINs 3+4 he got into the full vectored profile with full speed.

https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/338056-slow-german-internet/?do=findComment&comment=3537141

muph2.jpg

I've seen such cases a lot so I always recommend to check for similar faults. They didn't matter when people only had analog phones but with DSL, especially with increasing bandwidths, these things start to matter. Sometimes it's also just lose contacts e.g. from a defect TAE socket.

Telekom planned to end ISDN in 2018 but the plans got delayed. I know people who still have real ISDN with an NTBA and a "real" ISDN phone directly connected to it (I know because I manage their connection, they have no clue themselves). Their contract just renewed to December 2019. They do not have DSL, though. Telekom's priority was to cancel combined ISDN+DSL contracts. I think only some business customers still have ISDN+DSL combined (businesses can have longer contract than 24 months so they are harder to cancel and also losing them hurts Telekom more financially), often ISDN-"Anlagenanschlüsse".

Thank you for the links @sneaker.

I will continue with my issue in the thread that you linked in your previous post. 

@zion69 my issue with Vodafone was the browsing the Internet never felt as fast as I was used too at previous houses. I might be biased but I strongly prefer VDSL to Cable as a technology. And please note that even if at the moment I am being "screwed" by a line-related issue with my new VDSL line, which only gets 13 Mbps, browsing the Internet does feel faster. 

Cable can never be perfect. VDSL can be perfect. 

If you are already really happy with your Vodafone connection then you will probably not be happier with a new provider. But it's up to you if you want to risk a change in order to not be tied to an expensive long-term contract with Vodafone.

The main reason to change is not to be  tied to an long-term contract .

I will end up paying the same or more  for less speed but I think  30mb to 100 mb is more then enough for me no need for 400 mb that in the  end rarely get these speeds anyway 

Easy Bell offer VDSL so that will be good, also does O2 but with so many bad reviews I will rather pay more for Easy Bell.

shit just realize  I can just have cable internet at my place so no DSL options no phone socket on the wall, now that is a bummer 

will have to stick with vodafone 

Telekom now also offers a 3G/4G product similar to Vodafone GigaCube and Congstar Homespot: Telekom Speedbox

It comes in a "Flex" variant where the minimum term is 24 months but with no fixed costs despite an initial 40 Euro free + 100 Euro for the router. You book data passes for 31 days only when you need them. A data pass includes 100 GB and costs 44,95 Euro.