What is the best response when Germans are unreasonably rude to you? Or reasonably rude?

188 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, wien4ever said:

What do you mean? I thought honesty and bluntness was expected in Germany. We are all Germanified here after living in Germany for a while.. isn't that what you want us to do? to stop being fake and superficial? just tell you directly what is on our minds, am i right?

Oh wait.. you want us to continue being polite while you continue to be rude... oohhhh I get it...  but I learned to like being rude.. oops.. I mean *honest*... like you Germans... it's so much fun! And far easier too!! Honestly it is!!!

On 7/17/2019, 10:44:20, coconuts said:

Jesus fuck. I don't want you to do anything. Just pointed out the utter irony of people rudely whining about the rudeness of Germans.

You could opt for running around with a bull whip, and cracking that next to them. They would be so shocked I think the rudeness would just stop then and there. No need to injure that rude German. Just go on, crack that whip. But practice a lot first or you might end up whipping yourself in the process.

Advanced issues found

6 hours ago, Namu said:

Jesus fuck. I don't want you to do anything. Just pointed out the utter irony of people rudely whining about the rudeness of Germans.

Again, why are you so offended? We are not being rude. We are just being honest.

I don't understand what the problem is... 

What a relief it is to be honest, I feel great, you know.  Hope you feel great too!

To be fair, I think people in general and our society as a whole, regardless of where you live are becoming ruder. Manners are going down the drain. People think they have the right to voice their opinion and that it can be accepted regardless of other peoples emotions. Apathy is becoming rife. There is no respect anymore for anyone or anything. It is all me, me me! Sad really, but that seems to be the way it is going...

54 minutes ago, Anna66 said:

To be fair, I think people in general and our society as a whole, regardless of where you live are becoming ruder. Manners are going down the drain. People think they have the right to voice their opinion and that it can be accepted regardless of other peoples emotions. Apathy is becoming rife. There is no respect anymore for anyone or anything. It is all me, me me! Sad really, but that seems to be the way it is going...

So said every older generation since long before the Babylonians

2 hours ago, silty1 said:

Yes true indeed, but I actually find it is older people who should know better that are behaving worse. Even labelling sensitive people in younger generations as "snowflakes". Instead of compassion, contempt.

56 minutes ago, Anna66 said:

Yes true indeed, but I actually find it is older people who should know better that are behaving worse. Even labelling sensitive people in younger generations as "snowflakes". Instead of compassion, contempt.

I saw a recent post from a "snowflake" stating that "we are not overly sensitive, we are just making the world better by showing concern and consideration to others and refusing to put up with older generations rudeness and prejudice".  Or something along those lines.  Sure I sometimes think they go a bit too far with their PC-ness but there is a point in it.

Case in point: As we were walking on our little resort island today, some children pedaled their bikes on the sidewalk in the wrong direction, prompting angry words from the old folks who were pedaling their bikes on the sidewalk in the right direction. Moments later, the same old folks crossed a road on their bikes on the wrong side of the road and cursed the left-turning car driver who honked at them. Peak older German is to complain of someone else's transgression and then commit a similar transgression without a thought. 

Or is that just peak older person?

I think it's just peak jerk

why make it so complicated?

the best response is to giggle.  drives these kinds of jerks nuts

5 hours ago, silty1 said:

Actually, it is the older Generation here that I've had the most rude experiences with.

1 hour ago, AlexTr said:

Case in point: As we were walking on our little resort island today, some children pedaled their bikes on the sidewalk in the wrong direction, prompting angry words from the old folks who were pedaling their bikes on the sidewalk in the right direction. Moments later, the same old folks crossed a road on their bikes on the wrong side of the road and cursed the left-turning car driver who honked at them. Peak older German is to complain of someone else's transgression and then commit a similar transgression without a thought. 

Or is that just peak older person?

Good god.. yes..  examples like this abound. Older people in our building screaming at other Bewohners for small infractions. But then same old grouchers park in the guest only parking spaces, when they have designated parking spots already, "because they need schatten" WTF? Or parking their Campers in the "Only parking for washing cars" spot.  What about setting an example? No,  it's privileged hypocrisy!  I would love to scream my head off "Das ist verboten!!!!!" as well.. maybe I'll do it next time. :D

I noticed as well when driving it tends to be the older ones who get angrier behind the wheel as well..

46 minutes ago, wien4ever said:

Actually, it is the older Generation here that I've had the most rude experiences with.

Ditto. Same here.

5 hours ago, wien4ever said:

Ditto

Many many years ago I used to shop on a Wednesday when by coincidence it was the day when all the weekly offers would start.

The place was always full with pensioners all fighting for the best deals, their aggressive attitude with the pushing and shoving was unbelievable and I'm no small bloke either, I had trolleys rammed into me, I was pushed and once a very well dressed lady kicked me just for being in her way.

This used to piss me off so I had to find a way to get my own back, this was in the days when the empty bottles/leergut were returned at the cashier as most of the cheap supermarkets never had a leergutautomat.

I used to save up all my bottles until I had at least a 100, on one occasion I managed over 200, their faces were an absolute picture, the comments, the moans and tuts as the queues behind me were getting longer and longer, I would leave feeling mission accomplished.

Personally, I know I will be a pensioner in the coming years but I would not disagree to a new law banning them from shopping at weekends.

It's when the cashier says, '6 cent vielleicht', then you know you're in for another 5 minute wait while they rumble through their Portemonnaie ohne Brille trying to distinguish between the 1's, 2's and 5 cents.

26 minutes ago, Sir Percy B said:

It's when the cashier says, '6 cent vielleicht', then you know you're in for another 5 minute wait while they rumble through their Portemonnaie ohne Brille trying to distinguish between the 1's, 2's and 5 cents.

yeah. I still don't understand why the customer is supposed to make change in Germany

this thing of losing your near vision happens much younger than you may think, apparently. If you don't have experience with presbyopia yet, you will.  ohhhhhh you will. 

maybe you will/do spend about 1k on gleitsichtbrille that work pretty well, I won't (as they have never worked "well" at all IME).  so if a cashier asks me for exact change, y'all gonna have to wait while I dig through my purse, trying to distinguish between coins WITH glasses (that are meant for anything but close range vision as I've always been far sighted, now it's just plus - you know near sighted people take off their glasses to see better up close, right?). Sorry, it's just that way.  It's not my fault, either.  It's just that way.

don't beat  up on people for having less than perfect physical abilities.  you wouldn't say something snarky about people in wheelchairs holding up lines, would you?  Do you get pissed off when a blind person steps into your path?  I hope not.

and why are you advocating that the elderly can't shop on saturdays whe you had all your bad experiences on a freaking WEDNESDAY :P

54 minutes ago, Sir Percy B said:

Ditto

Many many years ago I used to shop on a Wednesday when by coincidence it was the day when all the weekly offers would start.

The place was always full with pensioners all fighting for the best deals, their aggressive attitude with the pushing and shoving was unbelievable and I'm no small bloke either, I had trolleys rammed into me, I was pushed and once a very well dressed lady kicked me just for being in her way.

This used to piss me off so I had to find a way to get my own back, this was in the days when the empty bottles/leergut were returned at the cashier as most of the cheap supermarkets never had a leergutautomat.

I used to save up all my bottles until I had at least a 100, on one occasion I managed over 200, their faces were an absolute picture, the comments, the moans and tuts as the queues behind me were getting longer and longer, I would leave feeling mission accomplished.

Personally, I know I will be a pensioner in the coming years but I would not disagree to a new law banning them from shopping at weekends.

The day will come, Sir Percy! The day will come when you are one of those pensioners who cannot see. I am no different..I sometimes get annoyed with pensioners blocking the aisles, thinking they are God´s gift to humanity. And then I have my humane moments ( hopefully mostly ). 

Don´t get your own back..try to understand they are not youthful idealists but elderly " everything hurts ". Oh yes, the elderly can be selfish  And I need lessons on that myself sometimes,

On 8/17/2018, 12:03:31, dampstew said:

What is the best response when Germans are unreasonably rude to you?

Didn't experience this during my time there, but I did experience when Germans are unseasonably rude.  Once, on a chilly day in Dresden, riding the tram, I couldn't stand the smell and the stuffiness, so I opened a window.  A German man immediately stood up, slammed it shut and sat down.  I re-opened it, and he just kept staring at me.  I first thought it rude, but later discovered it was fear.  Fear of drafts.

14 minutes ago, Techsmex said:

Fear of drafts.

last week, office 33 degrees, I turned on my fan.  Coworker looks over...says something about "you should adjust that so it's blowing down...if it's blowing on you like that you'll get a stiff neck"

and he was dead serious.

1 minute ago, lisa13 said:

last week, office 33 degrees, I turned on my fan.  Coworker looks over...says something about "you should adjust that so it's blowing down...if it's blowing on you like that you'll get a stiff neck"

and he was dead serious.

and you acquired this fan from?   home or another departing expat I presume.  Finding fans in Germany is like finding a four leaf clover.