What is the best response when Germans are unreasonably rude to you? Or reasonably rude?

188 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Wherearewegoingto said:

I never rent out to people who dont provide credit rating. Dont want to get  people in that  are moving in then not paying until you kick them out and then move in with the next landlord. Been there seen it. No credit rating provided no flat to rent. End of story.

If I was you I'd focus on where you're going to, not where you are coming from, you answered a post from nearly a year ago.

Interesting way to show our general and overwhelming way better politeness as it has been discussed here. Just to give a polite answer to your Germanism.

I do apologise for trying to get the threat back to its original discussion. Someone had reopened this old thingamajing and in terms of understanding whats it about I tend to read posts from their start to see what development they took. So going back to researching facts before adding my twopence is just my was to ensure I am answering to the OP and not some general bitching and moaning or adding to derailing a thread unless I wish to do so.

I am deeply sorry for not meeting your requirements of commenting. If you prefer not reading my comments there is always the ignore option. 

57 minutes ago, john g. said:

Don´t drive in Greece, Sir Percy! The lethargic way of live changes..they speed up, overtake on bends, park anyway they want on the street (including pavements ), rarely acknowledge courtesy. The perfect place for Alpha males to show off.

Highest death rates on the roads in the whole of Europe, I wager.

They slow down when at work!:D:D

According to this link the death rate in Greece (country code EL, which you know of course) is high, but Eastern European countries top the list: https://ec.europa.eu/transport/facts-fundings/scoreboard/compare/people/road-fatalities_en#2017

The more south or east you go, the more road fatalies occur.

1 hour ago, LukeSkywalker said:

The more south or east you go, the more road fatalies occur.

There are many more factors, like road quality, average fleet age, how hilly the country is. Thing is, most of those factors depend on how rich a country is, not on how good people drive.

Sure, there are explanations for it. Let's not forget the human factor, e.g. discipline or emotional state (Mediterranean hot heads). That has nothing to do with how rich a country is. In Naples, only tourists stop in front of a red light. You see three cars in a two lane street.

When you watch the tv series Car Crash, it mostly features Eastern European countries, also because everybody drives there with a dash camera for good reason, but you see accidents I have never seen in e.g. Germany. It seems you can win a driving license at a fun fair.

The best explanation I can find for the unbelievable behaviour of some people on the roads in my neck of the woods is absence of brain between the ears and too much testosterone between the ankles.

38 minutes ago, optimista said:

too much testosterone between the ankles

Oh dear.  Displaced testosterone could make anyone surly :)

"Thing is, most of those factors depend on how rich a country is, not on how good people drive. "

I disagree. Good drivers should always take road conditions into account.

There are also people like Ayrton Senna, who believed he was  indestructible because of his religion.

I was driven once by a guy like that in Brazil who overtook on the top of hills etc. I told him I would never go in a car with him again. He was later killed in a crash.

I see these guys got called on their behaviour

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49054042

I should have made that police call in the UK when my daughter and I had 3 drunk fishing German guys repeatedly peeing off the harbour wall near us. My German wife turned up later and was very annoyed with them. Lots of bellowing Germans too, they tend to walk right up to you and then bellow at their friends or family. My wife says people seek me out, it's my superpower.

Since I have been back home in Berlin I have only met very polite, quiet and nice Germans, a real difference to my holiday. The chimney sweep was around the other day, one of the most gentle and friendly human beings I have ever met, same for the DHL guy.

Don't get why people have to behave badly on holiday but in my neck of the woods it's the Germans for general bad behaviour and there have been some very bad incidents with Italians dumping their motorhome tanks on the beach, leading to a parking ban in certain areas.

to be fair, people from all over the world have various reputations for exhibiting extremely bad behavior while on holiday. 

1 hour ago, lisa13 said:

to be fair, people from all over the world have various reputations for exhibiting extremely bad behavior while on holiday. 

So right!  Don't get  me started on Brits on holiday, Aussies drunken beach antics, and Canucks peeing in alleys in Toronto! So many are young, drunken guys, and feel they can let loose on holiday.

And increasing number of young women who get totally drunk.

1 hour ago, lisa13 said:

Especially when large amounts of alcohol are involved...

:P

I found driving a car in South Africa very relaxing even though they do have bad roads and are pretty far south. Its one of the loveliest countries I've been to.

55 minutes ago, Wherearewegoingto said:

I found driving a car in South Africa very relaxing even though they do have bad roads and are pretty far south. Its one of the loveliest countries I've been to.

If SA is such a lovely country, why are three towns amoungst the most dangerous towns in the world?

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/most-dangerous-cities-in-the-world.html

"South African Cities

Of this list provided of the 50 most dangerous cities in the world by violent crime rate, three cities in South Africa make the list: Cape Town (62.25), Durban (38.12), and Nelson Mandela Bay (Port Elizabeth) (37.53). South Africa, which inhabits the southernmost point of the massive African continent, has often garnered publicity for its high crime rates, including murder rates."

If you call a country with a murder rate that is 36 times higher than Germany "lovely", what do you call Germany?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

37 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

If SA is such a lovely country, why are three towns amoungst the most dangerous towns in the world?

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/most-dangerous-cities-in-the-world.html

"South African Cities

Of this list provided of the 50 most dangerous cities in the world by violent crime rate, three cities in South Africa make the list: Cape Town (62.25), Durban (38.12), and Nelson Mandela Bay (Port Elizabeth) (37.53). South Africa, which inhabits the southernmost point of the massive African continent, has often garnered publicity for its high crime rates, including murder rates."

If you call a country with a murder rate that is 36 times higher than Germany "lovely", what do you call Germany?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Maybe into "Dark Tourist"

Advanced issues found

On 7/19/2019, 6:41:16, Namu said:

Well I think nearly every German would be offended because of the rudeness in this thread. However, I read and listened a lot to this kind of whining about Germans. So I think I finally hardened up.  I just can’t get over the fact that people talk so rudely about the rudeness of Germans. The irony blows my mind.

You are offended? Oh I'm so very sorry. It's just a cultural misunderstanding. We are not being rude, we are just being honest! *

* every German's excuse when confronted for being rude.

I love it how it's never a two-way street with some Germans.

Now you know how it feels.

This is a forum where foreigners living in Germany share their experiences, what did you expect to read here? 

Advanced issues found

6 hours ago, Anna66 said:

Funny video, but completely wrong. A German would never ever strike up a conversation with a stranger. They much prefer awkwardly ignoring others in their vicinity.