What is the best response when Germans are unreasonably rude to you? Or reasonably rude?

188 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, black1 said:

Had a couple of incidents over the last couple of weeks, both in my own area of the UK. 

Germans are the worst behaved people I see when I am back home. I am now also a German but I am becoming increasingly annoyed with the bad behaviour. 

The best way to react is probably to move to UK so you dont have to deal with them ever again past Brexit.

21 hours ago, jeba said:

What´s your point?

The point is stated in the poster's previous sentence.

On 7/17/2019, 10:44:20, coconuts said:

I am acquainted with a few Germans in my area. I also tend to find certain things they say shocking. For example, a friend of mine will, without hesitation, criticize the cleanliness of another friend's home. 

I chalk it up to a cultural difference. I may say one day "That's not something I'm used to hearing from an American" 

But you are used to hearing Trump? For my German ears Trump is unbelievably rude- but then as a German I obviously lack the polite and refined social skills of Americans.

Being rude in the anglophonic sense has a totally different effect to rudeness in the German sense. What the British or Americans etc. would call rude is mearly being direct and to the point for Germans.

Rudeness however is a game that two can play, I can be a cute little pussycat to officials and burocrats unless they start to give me a hard time just because they can. Then I smoothy transmogrify into a curmudgion with a swabian accent, mindfull however that they, at the end of the day, are on the longer side of the leaver. Private persons being rude is on another branch altogether, if you are like me, the size of an ogre, you can be rude back without having too much to worry about.

Interesting topic. I think it is all about cultural differences and accecptance.

I have lived here since 1996 and STILL can't get used to some of the rudeness I encounter. I don't think we can generalise and tar everyone with the same brush. And I never assume someones nationality.

How I deal with rude people depends on my mood and how rude they are to me. I have taken the passive aggressive stance, the "give as good as you get" stance and the "Romford" stance (not advisable, however it has never failed me).

At the end of the day, there are rude buffoons everywhere, we just have to step back and look at the bigger picture. What we may concieve as rude, is probably the norm.

5 hours ago, RomfordReject said:

the "Romford" stance (not advisable, however it has never failed me).

Could you give some examples, please? :-)

On 7/18/2019, 1:48:31, jeba said:

What´s your point?

It was already made. Read the post. 

namu,

Not saying I am "used to hearing Trump". He is a populist leader and I make no excuses for his rhetoric. 

You seem to have taken a lot of offense. 

1 hour ago, coconuts said:

namu,

Not saying I am "used to hearing Trump". He is a populist leader and I make no excuses for his rhetoric. 

You seem to have taken a lot of offense. 

Well I think nearly every German would be offended because of the rudeness in this thread. However, I read and listened a lot to this kind of whining about Germans. So I think I finally hardened up.  I just can’t get over the fact that people talk so rudely about the rudeness of Germans. The irony blows my mind.

44 minutes ago, Namu said:

Well I think nearly every German would be offended because of the rudeness in this thread. However, I read and listened a lot to this kind of whining about Germans. So I think I finally hardened up.  I just can’t get over the fact that people talk so rudely about the rudeness of Germans. The irony blows my mind.

Get over yourself, has it not occurred to you that this is not just one person's statement but several who all agree the German's are rude.

I agree with most that the German's are a bunch of ignorant, arrogant, self righteous assholes but it depends on which walks of life you cross their paths.

Unfortunately the truth hurts so stop trying to fight a losing corner, after all this is a forum for English speaking people and not a bunch of German hypocrites.

On 18/08/2018, 16:59:04, optimista said:

1. Remove your FEELINGS from the situation. Distance yourself from the insensible robot in front of you. This is called integration.

2. Do not expect to enjoy the dealings. It is so rarely a pleasure. Feel yourself lucky if you come away not having been mauled or shouted at.

3. Yes, be rude back. Works a treat. It's what they are used to. Mild manners and a pleasant demeanour can really discombobulate them. (Try holding doors open for people instead of letting them swing in their faces. You will soon get my drift,)

4. Learn to stop smiling and greet them with a poker face. It is what is expected.

What a boring, bitter life they live.

1 hour ago, Sir Percy B said:

Get over yourself, has it not occurred to you that this is not just one person's statement but several who all agree the German's are rude.

I agree with most that the German's are a bunch a ignorant, arrogant, self righteous assholes but it depends on which walks of life you cross their paths.

Unfortunately the truth hurts so stop trying to fight a losing corner, after all this is a forum for English speaking people and not German hypocrites.

Exactly! 

Namu said he's German, so I suspect if he's been living in Germany, he's fully aware of,  has probably  experienced or maybe even been a participant in the rude and aggressive behavior being expressed on this thread that many of us have experienced in our interactions with some Germans.  

For Namu to  designate Trump as a poster child, as an emblem of American rudeness to perpetuate his silly fallacy that Americans are just as rude as some Germans is patently an extremely weak false equivalence, shows his narrow mindedness, and is the epitome of hypocrisy and denial.  

In my experience, when they´re not busy killing each other, Americans are amongst the politest and friendliest people on Earth. And I´ve been around.

6 minutes ago, john g. said:

In my experience, when they´re not busy killing each other, Americans are amongst the politest and friendliest people on Earth. And I´ve been around.

John I agree but can they not consider making it a little smaller to get around, the country/continent is so big.

In terms of politeness, I think the British, certainly English driver's are the most courteous of all.

If an oncoming vehicle, for example, is forced to stop due to the narrowness of the street , it's only courteous that one raise's their hand as a polite gesture to say thank you.

In Germany, they stare straight ahead, they do not have the decency to acknowledge that anyone else was on the road other than themselves, 'weil ich habe vorfahrt'.

26 minutes ago, john g. said:

Your assessment has oxymoronic reinforcements.

Don´t drive in Greece, Sir Percy! The lethargic way of live changes..they speed up, overtake on bends, park anyway they want on the street (including pavements ), rarely acknowledge courtesy. The perfect place for Alpha males to show off.

Highest death rates on the roads in the whole of Europe, I wager.

They slow down when at work!:D:D

2 minutes ago, Lavender Rain said:

Your assessment has oxymoronic reinforcements.

Blimey, you read the Guardian, too?

:D

On 8/21/2018, 11:34:27, dampstew said:

I was just trying to rent a cheap apartment, that’s it. Nothing close to 100k etc.

I never rent out to people who dont provide credit rating. Dont want to get  people in that  are moving in then not paying until you kick them out and then move in with the next landlord. Been there seen it. No credit rating provided no flat to rent. End of story.