What is the best response when Germans are unreasonably rude to you? Or reasonably rude?

188 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, karin_brenig said:

Let me tell you, from the German point of view (I am native German, spent the past 14 years living in the Midwest) Germans are never "rude", they are simply stating facts - no emotion required. For that same reason Germans cannot be "unreasonable" either, because facts are simply facts - no reason needed.

So what you're saying is the German's are very intelligent people and far superior, everybody else are a bunch of idiots and must adhere to whatever our German counterpart tells us.

WTF.

16 minutes ago, Sir Percy B said:

and must adhere to whatever our German counterpart tells us.

If you ask a German lady for a dance and she says "No.", then - affirmative, Sir - you must adhere to what your German counterpart tells you. 

The English proverb "it always takes two to do the tango" implies that one NO is sufficient to break a desired deal, whether it's dancing, f*cking, buying a house or buying a car. Starting a discussion about "how valuable your YES is" and repeating what you want and how you want it leads to nowhere.

Deal with it.

1 hour ago, Sir Percy B said:

So what you're saying is the German's are very intelligent people and far superior, everybody else are a bunch of idiots and must adhere to whatever our German counterpart tells us.

WTF.

Germans pick and choose who they are direct with, are never direct with perceived superiors and don't like people being direct with them.

These factors alone tell you that they know that their actions are undesired.

They just think that given who you are, relative to them, your job is just to accept it.

The best thing to do is not to let their priggishness pollute your mind.

3 hours ago, Sir Percy B said:

WTF.

yes facts are simply facts, except when they aren't, as evidenced by the myriad threads we have detailing all the ways expats are led astray by people who really should know better (by accident or on purpose)

I don't usually have a problem with this but indeed, it does seem that if you PRESENT your facts dispassionately, as if they are common knowledge, Germans tend to appreciate that.  If your facts differ, it's usually enough to discuss it rationally, to arrive at some kind of agreement.  It helps to be able to cite legal paragraphs or independent sources in the worst case.

On the other hand, I can recall a date I had with a guy who doubted very much that I could possibly miss the beaches around Boston because Boston is nowhere near the ocean :)  Nevermind the FACT that he had never set foot anywhere near Boston, nor the FACT that I lived there for several years...he was convinced and that was enough for him. 

yeah, no, there were no more dates after that.  

but anyone who claims you can't find people this pigheaded all around the world is lyin' (or one of those people)

You want to know my secret to being happy while living in Germany with all these rude Germans and offended English speakers?

Apathy. 

31 minutes ago, CincyInDE said:

You want to know my secret to being happy while living in Germany with all these rude Germans and offended English speakers?

Apathy. 

My solution: selective hearing

On 28.7.2019, 20:23:06, Sir Percy B said:

This used to piss me off so I had to find a way to get my own back, this was in the days when the empty bottles/leergut were returned at the cashier as most of the cheap supermarkets never had a leergutautomat.

I used to save up all my bottles until I had at least a 100, on one occasion I managed over 200, their faces were an absolute picture, the comments, the moans and tuts as the queues behind me were getting longer and longer, I would leave feeling mission accomplished.

You are a person of my own heart. Good on you.

8 minutes ago, slammer said:

You are a person of my own heart. Good on you.

Sorry to be pedantic, but it's "a person after my own heart" :ph34r: