Cost of eyeglasses in Germany

74 posts in this topic

My glasses are in need of replacement, so today I dropped in for an exam at a nearby Optiker. I was quite surprised to hear -- after she gave the exam and tallied up the estimate -- that new lenses (plastic, graduated focus, hardened, no tint) would cost EUR 408. Apiece. The frames will be cheap by comparison. So I put off ordering.

I don't recall that glasses cost me anywhere near a thousand bucks the last time I got a pair in the States. Does anybody recall approximate prices for theirs? I may return soon for awhile, so does it make sense to wait and buy them in the US? Or did I simply blunder into the wrong shop (Schoenweitz).

Crosslink by admin: Lasik Laser eye surgery

That's completely ridiculous. Go to Fielmann on Sonnenstraße and you'll hear completely differently.

It makes sense to wait until you return to the US. My last purchase for plastic lenses, with frames, from LensCrafter was 80 dollars for *two* pair of glasses. Two years ago and working just fine. Glasses here are far more expensive.

My glasses are in sad shape but I am waiting till I get back to the US. (I will try Fielmann as well). One thing is that the lenses used to be covered by insurance and you only had to buy the frames. New rules as of January first, 2004. Nothing is covered anymore. Sorry I waited.

Link from February about glasses/contact lenses.

Thanks for comments. I did a little web browsing and found:

http://www.39dollarglasses.com/product_inf...tml?id=iktziDpy

There are probably numerous other online sources.

While it appears that progressive lenses are more expensive than simpler ones, the priciest in the list above are about one-fourth the cost at Schoenweitz, and the cheapest progressives about 11%.

To order online, you'd have to get your prescription from an eye doctor (opthalmologist = Augenarzt) or optician. The optician exam I got was only 10 EUR, to be applied to the glasses price, so in essence for me it was free. But I did not see the prescription, and it would not be in their commercial interest to give it to me.

An optician does not typically measure eye pressure or examine for pathologies, which the doctor would do.

403,50 per lens is just about what I paid for mine in 2001 - except that I paid DM, not Euros. Those guys at Schoenweitz seem to be off their chump.

Benita @ Krass Optik Landsberger St 491. she speaks perfect English and seves espresso or cappiccino while she cuts your new lenses. They were running a special when I was there a few months back. €100 for frame and lenses. of course you had to select a frame form the Krass line, kein problem, large selection.

(089) 83 84 99

Wow, didn't realize eyeglasses were that expensive. Interesting how certain things are more expensive (e.g., clothes) and others are less expensive (e.g. food at the grocery store) compared to the US.

I would definitely wait unitl you get back to the US. Also, you want to see an Opthamologist (O.D.) if you want to have a more thorough eye exam done. They are physicians who specialize in eye diseases and surgeries, and can give you a heads up if there's any trouble on the horizon. Do your self a favor and pay a 20-40 bucks more to have them take a look to make sure your eyes are healthly.

why try so save a buck when it's your eyesite.

Benita has all the equipment an opthomolgist has. the computer takes your measurement, checks your site, etc. I can see perfectly now. the reason the the frames were so cheap as you had to purchase a pair from the Krass line, however the pair I selelcted look exactly like my Mikli's I paid $277.00 for in the US.

The cost and hassle of glasses is why I wear contacts now. I've been wearing the same pair for almost 3 years now; have taken them out maybe 10x total and never have to worry about fogging when I come inside on a damp day. Great tiving the modern age. B)

i went to fielmann a few years back and paid around €175 for my glasses. granted my frames cost me maybe €25, but they happened to be the ones i liked.still wear them.

i have pretty miserable vision, get the glasses thinned so this costs extra and put a protective coating on them. but if you go to fielmann, be prepared to wait or go first thing during the week. it's always crowded. they however haev many loctions to serve you(!) so maybe choose one away from tal.

edit: also ordered my monthyl contact lenses on line. saved €25 even with shipping included.

Yeah, I'm heading back to England in June for a week, so I will wait for my new glasses until then ! Last time went to specsavers and got two pairs of glasses in an hour, and pretty cheap compared to Munich.

if you go to fielmann, be prepared to wait or go first thing during the week. it's always crowded.

I was in there for hours a couple of weeks back. Lens prices will probably not be alot cheaper there I don't think, but they will give you every single option under the sun, and what it costs. If your eyes are pretty bad, then you need stronger lenses, and the price can rocket up, especially with hardened, lightweight, non-reflective etc lenses.

Fielmann!

The loss of the contribution from the krankenkasse should not make a huge difference. They only paid for the basic glass anyway, it's the extras that put the price up.

Non-brand glasses, are a LOT cheaper too.

They have city centre branches at Karlzplatz / Stachus and in Tal but DO go off-peak or be prepared to queue for an hour easy.

I started to go to Fielmann when an independent optician tried to charge me FOUR times their price!

OK so I hate Fielmann and got mine from Krass Optik at Isartor, they have whole glasses with lenses on offer from around €50 but also do flashier stuff.

I paid 320 for mine but then they were Prada and strenghthened etc etc etc.. and then they got nicked by an israeli "fellow-traveller" in Bolivia, bastard.:angry:

So I can recommend the optik shops in Lima, 100 bucks a pair ;)

I have said it once and I'll say it again

Benita Strehle

Krass Optik

Lansbergerstraße 491

(089) 83 84 99

She speak perfect English. Has an Optomotry (?) office set up in her store. they were running a special when I was there €100 for the frames. the catch is they have to be from the Krass Optik line. I have a stigmatisym (spelling?) and with my new lenses I can see perfect! Plus I have some nice looking Buddy Holly frames so I'll look super cool if I go down in an airplane. :D

signed,

someone who needs an editor with spell check

At the moment there's a 'summer special' at Apollo Optik where tons of frames are reduced in price, ranging from €1 to €20...

I just ordered new glasses through them. The frame is costing me €1 (usual price is €59.95) and both lenses (glass - full package except for tinting) are costing me €110.00 .

All in all not a bad deal I think :)

Besides, I've got a private 'Krankenzusatzversicherung' which will pay the costs up to €125 anyway. :D

Thanks to all for comments. Here's what I ended up doing.

I returned to the US this summer and recently went for eye exams at the Palo Alto (California) Medical Foundation. They cost me $53 for the refraction exam with the optometrist, $232 for the basic eye exam with the ophthalmologist (MD) -- I hadn't had a proper one in years -- and another $225 for ophthalmoscopy (photos of the interior of my eyes, for future comparison). These exams might be cheaper in Deutschland.

One local optician, Site for Sore Eyes, was going to charge me $40 for a refraction exam, plus glasses at about $200 (and that was at a 1/2-off sale price on frames).

Another local chain, For Eyes, normally charges $69 for frames with single-vision lenses.

I found a California optician that sells over the internet for $19+, probably the world's lowest prices, so I ordered several pairs -- long distance with clip-on shades, reading glasses, and one for computer use. They haven't arrived yet. Not name-designer styles, but there's a good selection. See:

http://www.19dollareyeglasses.com/

Musikus