Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Renewing residence permit without new passport

8 posts in this topic

Hi 

This is for an Indian friend of mine. His resident permit expires in late September but he has been invited for an interview to renew his permit in early September. His passport has expired. He has applied for a new passport at the Berlin Embassy and though the normal processing time is two weeks, he is worried that it won t come before the interview. Is there anything that he can do? Get an emergency passport? Go to the interview without it seems daunting.

5 hours ago, solomongrundy said:

Hi 

This is for an Indian friend of mine. His resident permit expires in late September but he has been invited for an interview to renew his permit in early September. His passport has expired. He has applied for a new passport at the Berlin Embassy and though the normal processing time is two weeks, he is worried that it won t come before the interview. Is there anything that he can do? Get an emergency passport? 

I suggest your friend talks to the Indian embassy again to find out if there is anything like an emergency passport and how to get it ...

No, the Indian Embassy does not issue any emergency passport. That s the problem. They suggested that he postpone the interview at the Auslanderbehorde, but he is afraid to do that as it is an invitation and not an appointment he made himself. Is it possible to ask for a Fiktion?

45 minutes ago, solomongrundy said:

No, the Indian Embassy does not issue any emergency passport.

Then why did you ask about it?

45 minutes ago, solomongrundy said:

That s the problem. They suggested that he postpone the interview at the Auslanderbehorde, but he is afraid to do that as it is an invitation and not an appointment he made himself. Is it possible to ask for a Fiktion?

Yes, it's possible to ask.

2 hours ago, someonesdaughter said:

Then why did you ask about it?

Yes, it's possible to ask.

I am sorry,  I did not know if they did. He went there and inquired. The dilemma he is facing is whether to ask for a postponement of the interview (his residence is valid until end September) or to go there without it. I d be very grateful for some insight, and am sorry if the original question came across as rude

I am Canadian and we don t face such problems, thankfully! 

2 hours ago, someonesdaughter said:

20 minutes ago, solomongrundy said:

I am sorry,  I did not know if they did. He went there and inquired. The dilemma he is facing is whether to ask for a postponement of the interview (his residence is valid until end September) or to go there without it. I d be very grateful for some insight, and am sorry if the original question came across as rude

Don't worry – and tell him not to worry. I don't see any reason why he wouldn't get a Fiktionsbescheinigung and another appointment. Tell him to bring his old passport and proof that he applied for a new one. And maybe he's lucky and the new passport arrives in time, all problems solved. 

28 minutes ago, solomongrundy said:

I am Canadian and we don t face such problems, thankfully! 

Well, you may face similar processes in Canada if you arrived there as a foreign immigrant! 

Not sure why it always comes as a surprise to folk- dealing with visas/ permits!

On 8/9/2018, 2:37:05, someonesdaughter said:

I suggest your friend talks to the Indian embassy again to find out if there is anything like an emergency passport and how to get it ...

Hi Just to update. The new passport was delayed but when he went to the immigration office it was not a problem. They gave him more time without any problems.