Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The age of internet forums, is it over?

8 posts in this topic

Hi!

I've been online since 1998. I was just a young fella with no clue about anything, and access to the entire world which gave me the chance to display my ignorance on forums all over the internet. I really enjoy forums. I've been a part of some hobby forums for 20 years now. That's a weird thing to wrap my head around. 

I was kind of wondering, especially in regards to Toytown... do you folks think that the age of internet forums is coming to an end? Facebook, Twitter, all of these social media outlets seem to be killing off forums. Forums were where people of similar interests could come together and build relationships based on their hobbies, where social media is somewhere you can kind of chat with people near you. It's an important and noteworthy difference in dynamics, and I think forum participation is valuable. I've made friends, actual friends, that I've never seen on forums. I've met people on Facebook that I see in real life and they don't even speak to me. 

Man, the internet is fascinating.

What are your thought, TTers? We have to keep this forum active. I will chat with myself on here if I have to, but I would really rather chat with YOU (yes, YOU!). 

Personal thought, forums will survive because there is a backlash against Facebook and others and you can still have a certain level of anonymity with Forums that you can't have with other social media. Also each forum provides for a particular group of people, as you say, you're on hobby forums. How many people on Facebook will be interested to the same degree as those on a dedicated forum?

That is an interesting thought, French bean. I think that allowing people to stay anonymous makes the free exchange of ideas more likely. I like being a little exaggerated and using language that I wouldn't as "me" when I'm on forums. I also get to talk about topics that I may not get to talk about in real life. I hope that the era of forums is in its infancy. 

I don't think so.

They'll always be a bunch of like-minded people with a comman interest. It doesn't matter how big, or how small, the interest is, as long as they're communicating with each other.

I've been a member of three official rock band forums for 15+ years. I moderate on two. When the bands are in hiatus, traffic is slow. When they're gearing up for a new tour, or record release, traffic increases. That's only natural.

Toytown Germany is slightly different as it's appeal is much broader, much less focused. I think Jamie took it from Toytown Munich to Toytown Germany and the Munich Mafia dominated. For years and years. Too many years. Most of them have now disappeared. I still see members from that era, who I respect, giving sound info and helping the newbies. They haven't disappeared.

And there's a bunch of new members earning my respect with their answers/knowledge.

All forums are cyclical.

All forums are eventual.

Chelski is right.

There are also an awful lot of support forums out there for people with certain problems, illnesses, etc. They do a good service and I don't think that they will go away.

i donr think they will vanish for me presonaly joiniing one forum was the start of some beautyfulll friendships.

Censoring seems to be killing these forums . I reported some news about the fact that Germany took to late any corona measures and my post was  deleted .

9 minutes ago, TraceKira said:

Censoring seems to be killing these forums . I reported some news about the fact that Germany took to late any corona measures and my post was  deleted .

And look. It didn't kill the forum. Wow!

Are you sure that is all you said?