Can I move to a different city, whilst on Arbeitslosengeld?

3 posts in this topic

Hello,

I´m not in the city I listed myself as living in (for privacy reasons I dont want to mention where I really am) but I am in a city close to it, in NRW.

I was working here for two years, but since April , my contract has ended and I am now jobless. My rental contract is up at the end of August and I want to move to Berlin where there are more job opportunities then where I am.

Can I simply move, and inform the arbeitsamt in Berlin that I am there, or do I need to inform my local branch first? If I do, will they cut me off before I move? I guess what Im wondering is-- is it a simple process to transfer the payment or would they cut me off and make me start the whole application from scratch? Ive lost two job offers because they will only hire someone who is already in the city, so it would make sense for me to move now rather than tie myself into a new lease in the flat Im in and be stuck in this town till my unemployment benefit runs out.

Secondly, Im on a language course which finishes in the new year. The arbeitsamt covers it, but apparantly I cant leave it till its finished. The problem is that it will be finishing two months before my arbeitslosengeld entitlement ends and I dont want to be stuck in that situation. Im out of my flat on Aug 31., so want to take two days to go and view flats in Berlin next week and hopefully put a deposit down so I can move in on Sep 1. 

Can I just move on Sept 1, and inform the local office once I arrive or will I be in trouble for leaving the city? I have no experience with this .

Thanks

Shadowz

You can move but inform the Bundesagentur für Arbeit. They will assign you a new caseworker in the new location.

The german class is tough. I just learned that the S45 b2/c1 courses are from BAMF and  is a Weiterbildung with no extension of the ALG. They will want you to finish. Unless you have a job (offer). That is a reason to end a BfA course early without penalty. But asking is free.

Thanks for the reply. I cant ask about the course as we are on summer holiday now but Im just going to relocate to Berlin and hope for the best.  Its not worth it to rent a new flat where I am for at least 6 months more, and be almost guaranteed to stay unemployed when my arbeitslosen geld runs out. I hope they will see the move as a justifiable reason to end the course.