Help : problem with landlord on parkett floor - apartment handover

13 posts in this topic

I have hand over an apartment back to my landlord after 15 months of rental period. During my moving out , the mover accidently dropped the water left in the washmachine on the floor of laundry room. Stain was left on the wooden parkett. My landlord tried to have cleaning company to remove the stain but I was told it is not possible so my landlord is going to replace  the parkett for the affected area. ( see the attached photo) 

Question : Is it normal for landlord to ask tenant to pay for the damages caused on the parkett ? I mean it is stain left on the parkett , as soon as the next tenants moves in , their wash machine is going to stand right on the stained area and no one is able to notice the stain whatsoever.  Who on earth would lay wooden parkett in the laundry room ? ( Yes , it is where the dryer and washer machine are located ). 

Last week , a even more surprising news arrived, my landlord told me there are other spots found on the kitchen floor  ( it is an open kitchen in the living room) , so one or 2 piece of parkett needs to be replaced. In order to do so , the kitchen unit needs to be dismantled, My landlord told me it is quite logical but my question is, is it a common practice to handle issue like this ? I feel my landlord has gone too far what should I do ? 

IMG_3257.JPG

13 minutes ago, baboobaboo said:

Question : Is it normal for landlord to ask tenant to pay for the damages caused on the parkett ?

It's not limited to landlords – it's normal for anybody to ask you to pay for damages you done to their property. That's why having a private liability insurance is a must-have. (if you haven't one yet, get one asap for future damages. Contact @Starshollow or @john g.for a quote).

In your case I suggest you talk to your movers, they have professional liability insurance.

What she said and what happened to the kitchen floor. I mean, you can get away with normal wear and tear on floors but not after just 15 months.

what do you mean not after just 15 months ?  honestly i have no idea about the kitchen floor , it is per my lanlord's email notice .

So you weren't aware that the kitchen floor was damaged? Maybe the movers did that, too.

What I meant about the normal wear and tear was, for example, after 11 yrs, we asked our landlord for new carpet throughout (except living room that was parkett) and to replace the crappy linoleum in our kitchen. He did it. He even refinished the living room floor. 

this is the "damage" on the kitchen floor ... the landlord told me to remove this spot ( 2 cm ) , the kitchen block will needs to be dismounted , replace the parkett and assembly back the kitchen block, only the dismounting and assembly cost  1300 Euro , the total cost could be over 2000 easily ..

a friend of mine suggests this is a lawyer case now , I would like to hear your opinion.

So I suppose you don't have haftpflicht insurance?  Because they would pay for that.  As for the damage caused by the movers, you can ask them if they have one.  You can talk to the mieterverein and get their take on it. 

It does seem a bit silly to me to put parkett in rooms where you can except spillage such as bathroom, laundry room and kitchen.  I remember reading about a case where fancy bathroom tiles were damaged from pee stains resulting from a peeing tenant with bad aim.  The court ruled that the landlord couldn't expect that a drop of pee never hit the floor and that the landlord was to blame for having used such sensitive tiling.  However, a court case will eat at your mental health and take a long time.  I strongly suggest you try to negotiate with the landlord to pay whatever portion both of you can agree on.

Wood doesn't turn that colour after having water accidentally dropped on it, that happens over time. If you had neighbors under you it's lucky if their ceiling didn't go brown. I do agree that it's silly to have that type of wooden floor in a laundry room.

Does haftpflicht insurance cover any renovation needed before handing over the apartment.

Thanks.

Haftpflicht (liability) insurance gives you cover for damage that you inflict on other people's property, as well as personal injury. It would probably cover you in this case, as well, but it won't do so retroactively, because that's not how insurance works.

On 8/13/2018, 9:44:26, LeonG said:

It does seem a bit silly to me to put parkett in rooms where you can except spillage such as bathroom, laundry room and kitchen. 

Yes, it's becoming normal with kitchens I think as it becomes a popular flooring and homes get smaller (open plan).  I've just got it for the first time and find it very strange.  Currently have bathmat things adjoining :lol:.    Also it seems sealing is not done now.   My last kitchen was sealed within an inch of its life, but people don't seem to bother much, at least with the floor now. 

But it seems loads of people live like this now...so I am trying to learn from others, I look at theirs.  The counterpoint is perhaps that cooking is not as messy as it used to be, in part because we may rely less on home cooking and of course we perhaps make an effort not to spill.