Still being charged by AOK Hessen after moving to AOK Bayern

4 posts in this topic

Shortly my story: I had a health insuarnce from AOK Hessen (appreantly I looks like I still have it) I started with AOK hessen in November 2017 when I came to Germany, and on January changed my job and moved in Bayern. My employer requested to better have health insurance with AOK Bayern, so I went there and said to the to transfer my health insurance from AOK Hessen to AOK Bayern (I didn't know that they are not the same company and independent from each other). They said they have transferred it and every thing is fine, and I just should return my previous card to AOK Hessen and that's all. Just for confirmation I called the customer service of AOK Hessen to confirm that my health insurance was transferred and they said that everything is okay. I really thought that everything was OK till yesterday when I got the letters that I was being still charged by AOK Hessen and I should provide them information why I haven't paid my insurance and also the company name etc. and the charge was around 4000 Euro.  

I went to AOK Bayern to get more information what was really going on, they said that I should send them the name of my employer and the new Health Insurance name.

I also went in Frankfurt to sort this out with AOK Hessen, and here comes the surprise. They are not the same company and they didn't had any information about my new Health insurance. Tey stated that I was till insured by them, and that I should cancel my AOK Bayern contract because it was not correct (apparently I started my job in 22th of January and my health insurance contract started from 1st of February.) So they said that my only option was to cancel the contract with AOK Bayern, and get back to AIK Hessen again and if I wanted to cancel my contract with AIK Hessen I should also give them a notice in advance.

It looks like I am in a tricky situation because one them should step back, but I also do not want to pay the charges from AOK Hessen and I also want to remain in AOK Bayern (as my employer prefer so).

(I know  that it is also my fault for not handling it properly from the beginning but at this moment it looks like they are both taking advantage on me)

From the legal point of view what are my options and how can I avoid paying that charge from AOK Hessen ?

Please any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

When you begin a new job, your employer or HR needs several documents from you so they can register you with certain organisations. One of these documents shows that you are a member of a health insurance company. If you change health insurance companies your employer needs an Abmeldung form from the previous health insurance company before they can register you with a new health insurance company. Did your employer think this was your first job in Germany? If not, why did your employer register you with AOK Bayern when you didn’t have an Abmeldung from AOK Hessen? 

I believe the advice given to you by AOK Hessen is correct. You must first end the contract with them and then you can join AOK Bayern. You must check your documents or speak with AOK Hessen about the period of notice you must give to end the contract. Also, it is very strange that although you began work with your new company in January, you membership of AOK Bayern began on 01.02.2018. The dates should always  be the same. Where were you registered from 22.01-31.01.2018?

I would suggest you first talk with your employer about why they registered you with the AOK Bayern when they didn’t have a document  (Abmeldung) stating when your membership with AOK Hessen was terminated.

Secondly, explain to AOK Bayern what has happened and that you are still a member of AOK Hessen.   If you are very lucky you may get your money back from AOK Bayern but in my opinion you and your employer  must pay your health insurance contributions to AOK Hessen as the contract hasn’t been terminated.  

Last but not least, each federal state has its own rules and regulations and AOK Hessen and AOK Bayern are from two different federal states.

Please post again when you have sorted everything out. 

9 hours ago, White Rose of Yorkshire said:

When you begin a new job, your employer or HR needs several documents from you so they can register you with certain organisations. One of these documents shows that you are a member of a health insurance company. If you change health insurance companies your employer needs an Abmeldung form from the previous health insurance company before they can register you with a new health insurance company. Did your employer think this was your first job in Germany? If not, why did your employer register you with AOK Bayern when you didn’t have an Abmeldung from AOK Hessen? 

Hi "White Rose of Yorkshire",  thanks a lot for the feedback, much appreciated and yes really helpful.

Actually my new employer just proposed to me to change to a AOK Bayern (just a proposal not something mandatory), and all the process have been followed by me. Actually I thought that AOK Hessen and AOK Bayern was the same organisation with different branches (for example like Commerzbank) and just moving my account to AOK Bayern woud be sufficent (clearly my mistake here). But also the AOK Bayern emplyee didn't said me anything about this process  that I should have cancel my previous contract with AOK Hessen.

I believe the advice given to you by AOK Hessen is correct. You must first end the contract with them and then you can join AOK Bayern. You must check your documents or speak with AOK Hessen about the period of notice you must give to end the contract. Also, it is very strange that although you began work with your new company in January, you membership of AOK Bayern began on 01.02.2018. The dates should always  be the same. Where were you registered from 22.01-31.01.2018?

- My job started on 22.01.2018 and the AOK Health insurance at 01.02.2018, during this time I was still insured by AOK Hessen, and from my salary payslip I can see that during this week the health insurance have paid paid, but I think it have been paid to AOK Bayern because AOK Hessen stated that my last payment was till 19.01.2018.

I would suggest you first talk with your employer about why they registered you with the AOK Bayern when they didn’t have a document  (Abmeldung) stating when your membership with AOK Hessen was terminated.

Secondly, explain to AOK Bayern what has happened and that you are still a member of AOK Hessen.   If you are very lucky you may get your money back from AOK Bayern but in my opinion you and your employer  must pay your health insurance contributions to AOK Hessen as the contract hasn’t been terminated.  

I hope that some progress can be done on Monday as one of AOK Hessen employee will contact AOK Bayern to sort this out. But I don't know if canceling the contract with AOK Bayern would provide me a payback for those 6 months, and what are the chances of that? 

Also is it legal if I work in Bayern and being insured by AOK Hessen, as they are in different federal states?

This is very positive that the two will talk with one another and hopefully get things sorted out. Please post the outcome as it may be of interest to others in the same situation.